Gretsch Black Hawk kit/Price check please

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
A friend's wife has a drum kit at the art center she teaches/works out of but...they don't teach drums and its taking up space.
Looks like it still has the original/cheap heads. 5 pc w/kick pedal and maybe hihat.

I looked at ebay and I see components going for $40-50...but I'm thinking the whole kit is worth $150 or so. Thoughts?

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I started to post that these were the most generic of generic drums and then I did a quick search and they evidently resurrected them and newer ones may be a little better.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Old ones with the Pearl style tom holders are about on the level of CB700 drums ( which is to say not great) if they are newer ones they would be a bit better but still represent Gretsch lowest priced offering ( I guess the Energy series were cheaper yet). In either case I think your $150 figure is top dollar unless theres some other goodies mixed in like some pro cymbals.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$150 tops. Personally, I'd feel a lot more comfortable at $100, but you won't get hurt at $150.

GeeDeeEmm

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Time for me to get crucified. I used to own a Gretsch Blackhawk kit. With new heads and my tuning skills it sounded pretty darn good.
But yeah, sell it for $100 to $150 tops if it includes extras.

Stretch

TPC

Reaction score
Hey Stretch,
My old old drum teacher in Florida, the great Louie Ferkovics, played a Gretsch Blackhawk bop set. Tuned it WAY up, played it like an absolute mutherfocker, and you know what - it sounded like jazz. Agree with you.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey Stretch,
My old old drum teacher in Florida, the great Louie Ferkovics, played a Gretsch Blackhawk bop set. Tuned it WAY up, played it like an absolute mutherfocker, and you know what - it sounded like jazz. Agree with you.
Were they Blackhawk series drums or a Blackhawk set? I don't recall the Blackhawk series drums ever coming in "bop" sizes but Gretsch did offer a "Blackhawk" outfit in the 60s and/or 70s. Those were regular round badge or SSB Gretsch drums and the set configuration was called the Blackhawk ( I do not recall the sizes in that outfit). Later Gretsch re-used the name for a line of imported stencil sets in the 1980s/90s ( which I think only came in a standard 12/13/16/22 setup) and then for their bottom line sets in the 2000s ( since then they've added the even less expensive Energy series).

Of course even the cheapest of drums can often be made to sound decent with some good heads and some tweaking.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
man, id say $75 tops. i offered $50 once and got the same exact kit. flipped it, but some used pinstripes i threw on them opened the drums up nicely.

TPC

Reaction score
Were they Blackhawk series drums or a Blackhawk set? I don't recall the Blackhawk series drums ever coming in "bop" sizes but Gretsch did offer a "Blackhawk" outfit in the 60s and/or 70s. Those were regular round badge or SSB Gretsch drums and the set configuration was called the Blackhawk ( I do not recall the sizes in that outfit). Later Gretsch re-used the name for a line of imported stencil sets in the 1980s/90s ( which I think only came in a standard 12/13/16/22 setup) and then for their bottom line sets in the 2000s ( since then they've added the even less expensive Energy series).
I'm pretty sure they were the low-end Blackhawk series drums. I'm 100% sure they were 18-12-14. This would have been in the mid/late 80's (of course, he could've acquired the drums way before that). I don't recall what badge they had on them, so you may be correct about it being a "Blackhawk outfit". I do remember the "Gretsch Blackhawk" bass drum head with an image of a bird. Thanks for the info.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to own a Gretsch Blackhawk kit. With new heads and my tuning skills it sounded pretty darn good.
Ditto. I abused a set in the mid-80s that I got cheap. Damned if they didn't tune up easily and sound great. Perfect frat party kit.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My nephew bought a set of these used about 8 years he paid $100 . Not sure if they're the new or old ones but did come with hihat stand, straight, and Solar cymbals. 14" hats and 18" crash/ride. I agree $100-$150 tops