Gretsch Broadkaster Max Roach/Progressive Jazz Model X4175 4x14

jazzdrummer62

Reaction score
Looking for one of these drums in at least above average condition. Pre-label, 3 ply and silver sparkle are preferred but will consider with label, 6 ply and silver sparkle. Originality and condition are a priority. Prefer with Max Roach badge (any color considered if it has this badge).

Last edited:

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looking for one of these drums in at least above average condition. Pre-label, 3 ply and silver sparkle are preferred but will consider with label, 6 ply and silver sparkle. Originality and condition are a priority. Prefer with Max Roach badge.
The drums with the "Max Roach Model" badge were very early 1950-51 and had tube lugs. As soon as the mini streamline lugs were manufactured, the tube lugs and the MRM badge were history.

Attachments

Reactions: JDA
Reaction score
Jazzdrummer62,

Be very careful on these drums, I have played a few, and a couple of the ones that I played had the strainer mounted at the wrong height on the shell, meaning that you could never really get the snares adjusted well without having the string really holding the wires close to the head (when disengaged.) So when the wires were disengaged they still made contact with the head and rattled.

I talked with Bill (Classic Vintage Drums) about this (he knows more about vintage gear than I ever will,) and he had seen MANY with this same issue. I wouldn't buy one without seeing and playing it IN PERSON.

Ahh, that GREAT Gretsch quality control. Good luck with your search, I love 4" snares,
MSG

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jazzdrummer62,

Be very careful on these drums, I have played a few, and a couple of the ones that I played had the strainer mounted at the wrong height on the shell, meaning that you could never really get the snares adjusted well without having the string really holding the wires close to the head (when disengaged.) So when the wires were disengaged they still made contact with the head and rattled.

I talked with Bill (Classic Vintage Drums) about this (he knows more about vintage gear than I ever will,) and he had seen MANY with this same issue. I wouldn't buy one without seeing and playing it IN PERSON.

Ahh, that GREAT Gretsch quality control. Good luck with your search, I love 4" snares,
MSG
Mark That's the one I want!!!! {D