Gretsch Broadkaster snare mare!

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is horrible. My Broadkasters are the best sounding/tuning/playing Gretsch drums I've owned.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am guessing they tweaked the color on the drum you sent back to them and they sent the same drum back to you with the added color.

Surprising they overlooked the misaligned lugs. I assume you tried to align the hoop and still had issue with it.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am guessing they tweaked the color on the drum you sent back to them and they sent the same drum back to you with the added color.

Surprising they overlooked the misaligned lugs. I assume you tried to align the hoop and still had issue with it.
No, I kept the original one while they made the replacement, it's a different drum.
Two of the lugs are out, on opposite sides of the drum, can't be straightened up.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder if it's "special order" that fouled the whole situation up.
I wonder if that's the lesson "don't buy anything on special order" if it's not on the sales floor..
Sad to have a bad experience- and these accompanying comments- with a drum brand/design/ that's been the backbone of so much of the music, the past 125 years or so..one bad apple- six bad apples doesn't spoil the whole bunch but...All those drums at maxwells shell banks..most many (good) experiences others have had with Gretsch..to see this is sad. I just wonder if it was rushed "special order" rush; Still "No excuse"..
But we've seen the videos from inside the shop floor at Gretsch..nothing looks rushed there..it's a mystery almost..It's like a "higher" power is was telling you something. "Son it ain't time' ...
To think Paul Cooper would let that drum out of the shop is hard to swallow.
The final inspection table..someone fouled up.. shut off the lights..came in in the morning and the shipper assumed already inspected and boxed everything up..who knows.. it's a long chain now to get it resolved..hope best for ya. On top of that I don't think (..) many mistakes get past way before the drum reaches that table. Something went bad.
they need to hire more inspectors ; ) just 1 or 2..more

Last edited:

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that's the lesson "don't buy anything on special order" if it's not on the sales floor..
Sad to have a bad experience- and these accompanying comments- with a drum brand/design/ that's been the backbone of so much of the music, the past 125 years or so..
It's a real shame, I got it when I got in the official Sun Records touring show cos all the Sun drummers used Gretsch, like you say it's the heritage. The drum sounds good and the rest of the kit is great, but it's not right. You could be right, but it's only a standard vintage build snare, I wasn't asking for anything unusual, don't see why it should cause such a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
When you 'got in' do you mean you were a player on /in some of the shows? Were there no drum sets from the show you could have bought on the spot.. explain the Sun Records tour show to us..

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you 'got in' do you mean you were a player on /in some of the shows? Were there no drum sets from the show you could have bought on the spot.. explain the Sun Records tour show to us..
It's a touring theatre show over here in the UK, I'm the drummer, I use my own kit. :)

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a real shame, I got it when I got in the official Sun Records touring show cos all the Sun drummers used Gretsch, like you say it's the heritage. The drum sounds good and the rest of the kit is great, but it's not right. You could be right, but it's only a standard vintage build snare, I wasn't asking for anything unusual, don't see why it should cause such a problem.
Sounds like a sweet gig. And I agree that the Broadcasters would be the logical set. When I think of DJ Fontana, I think of 3-ply Gretsch and his animal hide BD reso head.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sad to have a bad experience- and these accompanying comments- with a drum brand/design/ that's been the backbone of so much of the music, the past 125 years or so..one bad apple- six bad apples doesn't spoil the whole bunch but...All those drums at maxwells shell banks..most many (good) experiences others have had with Gretsch..to see this is sad. I just wonder if it was rushed "special order" rush; Still "No excuse"..
But we've seen the videos from inside the shop floor at Gretsch..nothing looks rushed there..it's a mystery almost..It's like a "higher" power is was telling you something. "Son it ain't time' ...
To think Paul Cooper would let that drum out of the shop is hard to swallow.
The final inspection table..someone fouled up.. shut off the lights..came in in the morning and the shipper assumed already inspected and boxed everything up..who knows.. it's a long chain now to get it resolved..hope best for ya. On top of that I don't think (..) many mistakes get past way before the drum reaches that table. Something went bad.
they need to hire more inspectors ; ) just 1 or 2..more
Maybe I'm not supposed to have a Gretsch snare, maybe my old Supra is putting the fluence on it!!! ;-)

Reactions: JDA

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just can't imagine that once they know about such a bad drum going out that they don't have someone
get you a new snare as fast as humanly possible . Blows my mind .

I am in sales/customer service for a manufacture ,I get problems solved on the spot and that day
when needed ....