Gretsch Broadkaster snare mare!

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
This thread reminds me of the "zillion stamps on a zildjian" thread but with more serious consumer implications. It's an intriguing anomaly from the factory that no one can conceive happening based on known manufacturing techniques. As such, it's less reflective of Gretsch _manufacturing_ quality than it will be of their _customer service_ quality.

Speaking as a guy who lives about a hundred miles from Steve Maxwell's shop, this is where excellent dealer/brand relationships earn their business. I'm hopeful everything gets heard/resolved for you Jonesy.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I fully acknowledge that Gretsch has a history of dubious quality control. Heck, I have owned some Gretsch drums with dubious quality control. However, I've bought (embarrassing stat, but here goes) 14 Gretsch drums that were all made post-2015 and all 14 are perfect. So, it's a lot better there.

I wonder why the original drum took 14 months. My new ones were projected 4-6 months and are now schedule to come next week, after a 5 month wait. What was the original quote? Did the dealer show you that he ordered it when he said he did?

It's very unexpected and could very well be dealer error. And dealer intervention should be able to make this all better.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not a Nightmare
Choosing use of the word in a title to broadcast (pun) to www
versus amount of good Gretsch experiences experienced by thousands ,shared by millions, over the past 100 years
That's the nightmare

Last edited:

MrYikes

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever played on a sewer/gretsch kit, so I have no issues with the drums. I do have an issue with a company that treats it's customers the way the OP has been/is still being treated. If it smells like sewer gas, it's probably not something you want to be around. As long as the company keeps his money, the smell will remain.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keep calm people, it'll get sorted, not worth people falling out over. :)
The real shame here is that my original kit is great and I really wanted to buy into that great Gretsch sound.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Too funny, this reminds me of “Bill Cosby Himself” when he does the skit on putting the children to bed. He implores them that if they just do what the mother says then there won’t have to be any beatings and they respond: “Dear father, you don’t understand, we can not go to sleep without our beatings.”

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a Nightmare
Choosing use of the word in a title to broadcast (pun) to www
versus amount of good Gretsch experiences experienced by thousands ,shared by millions, over the past 100 years
That's the nightmare
The nightmare is the seemingly never ending saga that this has become, it was meant as hyperbole, not literally, that's why I put an exclamation mark after it.
All I want is the drum I ordered to match my kit 18 months ago.
As I said, I have never ordered a drum before and never expected it to be such a problem.
I just wanted to relate my experience and find out if this is something others had come across.
I know it's a first world problem, I didn't want to stir up trouble or dis a great American institution, I just want them to put it right.
Hopefully they will.

Last edited:

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I fully acknowledge that Gretsch has a history of dubious quality control. Heck, I have owned some Gretsch drums with dubious quality control. However, I've bought (embarrassing stat, but here goes) 14 Gretsch drums that were all made post-2015 and all 14 are perfect. So, it's a lot better there.

I wonder why the original drum took 14 months. My new ones were projected 4-6 months and are now schedule to come next week, after a 5 month wait. What was the original quote? Did the dealer show you that he ordered it when he said he did?

It's very unexpected and could very well be dealer error. And dealer intervention should be able to make this all better.
Apparently there was a flood at the German distribution warehouse. Yes, I went through the order in the shop.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Apparently there was a flood at the German distribution warehouse. Yes, I went through the order in the shop.
Yeah, that's all messed up, man. I'm really sorry to hear it and am sad for you. This sounds like one of those "bad old days" situations Gretsch was infamous for. The dealer I'm working through said that industry people told him that Gretsch is "mostly a lot better" in their QC and customer care. Yours is one of those situations that makes me worry.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's all messed up, man. I'm really sorry to hear it and am sad for you. This sounds like one of those "bad old days" situations Gretsch was infamous for. The dealer I'm working through said that industry people told him that Gretsch is "mostly a lot better" in their QC and customer care. Yours is one of those situations that makes me worry.
Think I'm just having bad luck and getting all the problems stacked one on top of the other. It'll get sorted eventually I'm sure. :)
It is really hard to imagine how they could drill a drum wrong these days and then it also makes it past quality control!

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
His point is that you are not following your own rules. Lack of mirrors hints to inability to see ones own behavour objectively.
Poor attempt at explaining an even poorer post. I just don't like Gretsch drums. Been around them and played them since 1966. Still have to play then from time to time. IMO, they are not good quality & sounding drums. Those that love them, buy all you can.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Poor attempt at explaining an even poorer post. I just don't like Gretsch drums. Been around them and played them since 1966. Still have to play then from time to time. IMO, they are not good quality & sounding drums. Those that love them, buy all you can.
"I was randomly attacked by a Mets fan I had threw a bottle at"

Latest posts