Gretsch Broadkaster snare mare!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those rims look wonky. Do you have access to known accurately manufactured 14" hoops to try on it"
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT POINT.

Anyone else had this kind of problem with a special ordered Gretsch snare?
lugs are looking straight

Iristone

Reaction score
Strange, my old Gretsch snare, made well before any CNC/any modern QC and withstanding 50+ years of wear and tear, still holds fine. Maybe that's why I paid more than new for it and still had to replace the throw-off.

marc3k

Reaction score
Thank you all for your inputs!
I finally had time to look at the snare in more detail and took some more fotos. I arranged everything in the pdf under the link below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LopgbFgnsLwJ7TDCe7ylLSx2ahHJeAxy/view?usp=sharing

I measured the distance between the lugs at both the upper and lower edge of the lugs. It seems that the lugs are not evenly arranged around the shell. However, they seem to be mostly perpendicular. I think this is the reason why I don't manage to place the hoops in such a way that most tension rods are centered in the bores in the hoops. See the critical lugs marked in red color in the pdf.

Those rims look wonky. Do you have access to known accurately manufactured 14" hoops to try on it"
I put the top hoop on the bottom edge / head to doublecheck if I get a similar misalignment of the tension rods as with the bottom hoop. See the pdf under the link above. It seems that with both hoops somewhat similar issues occur at the "critical" lugs.

Marc, your top rim can turn a little clockwise. Loosen all the rods and slowly hand tighten each to see if you can get them all straight. The lug looks perpendicular..... maybe it's the rim?
It seems that it's not possible due to another lug more or less opposite of this, where the tension rod is already at the edge of the bore in the rim, so it does not allow to turn the rim further...

I have to admit that without this thread I probably would not have looked at the snare in such detail. Since it is possible to tension the rods and to tune the snare it's not such a big issue. Besides, with my skills it's not that it would actually matter :)

Skeet6

Reaction score
Looks like maybe Gretsch is trying to really recreate the 60's and 70's drums... lots of misdrilled stuff back then.
Hope it gets resolved for you.
Mike B

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know I would demand a replacement. That is inexcusable! I would call DW with the serial # and see if it was built after they took the helm. If so I'd bet they'll send you a new one. If it was made under the purely Gretsch tutelage they're probably still the ones to call. Or involve the shop if there was one involved

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Not a fan of Gretsch drums anymore - I tried to like them but every kit I have owned and especially the snares has some kind of niddling quality issue . The last kit and snare I owned was from 2013.