Gretsch Broadkaster snare mare!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those rims look wonky. Do you have access to known accurately manufactured 14" hoops to try on it"
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT POINT.

Anyone else had this kind of problem with a special ordered Gretsch snare?
lugs are looking straight

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Strange, my old Gretsch snare, made well before any CNC/any modern QC and withstanding 50+ years of wear and tear, still holds fine. Maybe that's why I paid more than new for it and still had to replace the throw-off.

marc3k

Reaction score
Thank you all for your inputs!
I finally had time to look at the snare in more detail and took some more fotos. I arranged everything in the pdf under the link below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LopgbFgnsLwJ7TDCe7ylLSx2ahHJeAxy/view?usp=sharing

I measured the distance between the lugs at both the upper and lower edge of the lugs. It seems that the lugs are not evenly arranged around the shell. However, they seem to be mostly perpendicular. I think this is the reason why I don't manage to place the hoops in such a way that most tension rods are centered in the bores in the hoops. See the critical lugs marked in red color in the pdf.

Those rims look wonky. Do you have access to known accurately manufactured 14" hoops to try on it"
I put the top hoop on the bottom edge / head to doublecheck if I get a similar misalignment of the tension rods as with the bottom hoop. See the pdf under the link above. It seems that with both hoops somewhat similar issues occur at the "critical" lugs.

Marc, your top rim can turn a little clockwise. Loosen all the rods and slowly hand tighten each to see if you can get them all straight. The lug looks perpendicular..... maybe it's the rim?
It seems that it's not possible due to another lug more or less opposite of this, where the tension rod is already at the edge of the bore in the rim, so it does not allow to turn the rim further...

I have to admit that without this thread I probably would not have looked at the snare in such detail. Since it is possible to tension the rods and to tune the snare it's not such a big issue. Besides, with my skills it's not that it would actually matter :)

Skeet6

Reaction score
Looks like maybe Gretsch is trying to really recreate the 60's and 70's drums... lots of misdrilled stuff back then.
Hope it gets resolved for you.
Mike B

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know I would demand a replacement. That is inexcusable! I would call DW with the serial # and see if it was built after they took the helm. If so I'd bet they'll send you a new one. If it was made under the purely Gretsch tutelage they're probably still the ones to call. Or involve the shop if there was one involved

marc3k

Reaction score
Thank you all for your inputs!
I finally had time to look at the snare in more detail and took some more fotos. I arranged everything in the pdf under the link below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LopgbFgnsLwJ7TDCe7ylLSx2ahHJeAxy/view?usp=sharing

I measured the distance between the lugs at both the upper and lower edge of the lugs. It seems that the lugs are not evenly arranged around the shell. However, they seem to be mostly perpendicular. I think this is the reason why I don't manage to place the hoops in such a way that most tension rods are centered in the bores in the hoops. See the critical lugs marked in red color in the pdf.

I put the top hoop on the bottom edge / head to doublecheck if I get a similar misalignment of the tension rods as with the bottom hoop. See the pdf under the link above. It seems that with both hoops somewhat similar issues occur at the "critical" lugs.

It seems that it's not possible due to another lug more or less opposite of this, where the tension rod is already at the edge of the bore in the rim, so it does not allow to turn the rim further...

I have to admit that without this thread I probably would not have looked at the snare in such detail. Since it is possible to tension the rods and to tune the snare it's not such a big issue. Besides, with my skills it's not that it would actually matter :)
Alright, so here's my update to the snare mare:

I sent the snare back to the shop where I ordered it. Due to the covid19 etc., the parcel got stuck in customs in Germany for about 2months. Now that the people from the shop had a look at it, they decided that the misalignment is within the tolerances (and quality standards) of the manufacturer (i.e. Gretsch), so they cannot do anything and are sending it back to me.

So much for Gretsch's quality standards and their "Pledge to Gretsch Customers"...
Gretsch Website: Our Pledge to Gretsch Customers: said:
You've got our word! ...That we will stand behind our product and reputation for quality. As a Gretsch customer, you have extended your confidence in a percussion musical instrument that is manufactured with you, the player, in mind.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dispute with your credit card at this point? Can you get a letter from a professional drum builder who can state this is inferior quality workmanship as a supporting document to your CC?
I wouldn't let that be their answer.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahh Gretsch so consistent in their inconsistency.

Mismatched lacquer finishes are not a new issue at Gretsch. I have seen the misaligned lugs many times before as well . Sad because they have a unique vibe and sound .

Last edited:

marc3k

Reaction score
I have seen the misaligned lugs many times before as well . Sad because they have a unique vibe and sound .
Good point! Maybe I should look at it this way and come to the conclusion that misaligned lugs add to the unique sound!

Clowndog, I bought a 4-piece kit which included the snare. Since the snare is still tuneable and it matches the kit I guess I will keep it. Concerning the sound I can't really say too much since haven't really used it since I got it.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good point! Maybe I should look at it this way and come to the conclusion that misaligned lugs add to the unique sound!

Clowndog, I bought a 4-piece kit which included the snare. Since the snare is still tuneable and it matches the kit I guess I will keep it. Concerning the sound I can't really say too much since haven't really used it since I got it.
You're a better man than me to look at it that way. As long as you still enjoy the drum, that's all that matters.

For me though, Gretsch is still off the table. Using sub-standard parts and drilling on a drum that sells for more than $600...they won't get any of my money.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not that you should have to do it, but you could probably align those mis-drilled lugs by elongating the holes side to side. The lug on the outside and the washer on the inside should cover up any elongation.
Again, not that you should have to do it.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
I sent the snare back to the shop where I ordered it. ... Now that the people from the shop had a look at it, they decided that the misalignment is within the tolerances (and quality standards) of the manufacturer (i.e. Gretsch)....
So the retailer is making this decision, and not Gretsch? Or both?

Just awful. I'd like to hear them state just exactly what the "tolerances" are.

I like Ar guy's idea, but maybe extend the holes in the rim. idk.

drumsforme

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I have a 2007 USA Kit and a 2013 Brooklyn kit and have been to the factory in Ridgeland and Paul Cooper has been flawless in my opinion.....sorry you experienced this.

Reactions: JDA

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
So the retailer is making this decision, and not Gretsch? Or both?
I'm thinking this is the retailer's issue, not Gretsch USA's final response. I've had music dealers tell me that the manufacturer won't make things right, only to find out they were lying. When the actual company was notified, they made things right, and the retailer (in one instance) cussed me out for "going over their head".

thestorysold

Reaction score
hey all- I've been a lurker on this site for awhile, but saw this post and decided to chime in as well! I won a new 4pc. vintage build-out Broadkaster kit on eBay back in January. it was really cheap and I initially thought it was a scam, but took the chance anyway figuring I would be protected regardless. I wasn't in the market for a kit, but have always liked the Broadkasters and jumped because of the price.

Out of the box I immediately had issues with a few of the floor tom legs not being able to fit into the brackets. I reached out to Gretsch to sort this out. It was a very long process, but after several months (COVID didn't help) they eventually sent me replacement legs/brackets. Turns out the legs that came with the kit were wrong, which was most likely an error from the shop that sold me them. Admittedly the kit just sat in my basement for awhile. I had posted it for sale/taken it down a few times as I was torn what to do with it. Eventually I figured I'd just sell the snare off. I came close to a sale, but decided to back out. Glad I did because I was examining the snare and realized how bad the splay was. Some of the hoop holes match up and some don't. The image below is the worst one. I contacted Gretsch again and sent several pictures. I eventually received a call from a Gretsch rep. He explained my situation was a bit different. Normally I'd have to go through the retailer, but he mentioned the shop I bought it from has given them a lot of issues over the years and may actually be out of business. They agreed to handle everything, which is great. It has just been a very long process with lots of follow up on my end though. The Satin Copper finish is no longer available, which has slowed things up as well. They are now letting me choose any finish for the replacement. Along with the snare issue I've also noticed a few of the tension rods are tough to tighten on the bass drum and toms (seems to be a common issue I've read about as well). For the list price of these drums the quality certainly is a bit questionable in spots. They sound great and look sweet, but for the price I'd expect them to be flawless.

unnamed.jpg
0.jpg

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Its a Gretsch. Why would anyone purchase those dead sounding PsOS? I've always found them to lack the main attribute of a fine musical instrument-good sound/tone. But there are those that love 'em, so they meet a need.