Gretsch Broadkaster w/vintage build.

fishstix94

Reaction score
So I was casually scrolling through Instagram the other day and I stumbled upon a store selling one of the gretsch broadkasters featuring the vintage build. These things are just absolutely stunning. Everything that I'm looking for in a kit! After a little research I found out that a 3piece is about $3,500! That is just insane to me. Could I afford one? Technically... but I can't justify dropping that kind of dough on a kit? Hell no..

Anyone have one of these? What are your thoughts on them?

-Fish
Screenshot_20190204-132645_Gallery.jpg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love mine! I got a great deal here at DFO. They are special. I was just able to pick a matching 6.5 BK snare, another great deal here.

C7C3E205-4243-471B-95E9-E1B321FB6129.jpeg
5B2EEE99-8F17-47D3-880F-88833D678F1F.jpeg

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After a little research I found out that a 3piece is about $3,500! That is just insane to me. Could I afford one? Technically... but I can't justify dropping that kind of dough on a kit? Hell no.. View attachment 385775
What were you expecting ? That is Gretsch top line model. Why would'nt it be that much ???? Should'nt it be the same or even MORE than any DW kit ? right ?

Have you looked at a Renown ? They are about right over a grand for the same drums.

fishstix94

Reaction score
What were you expecting ? That is Gretsch top line model. Why would'nt it be that much ???? Should'nt it be the same or even MORE than any DW kit ? right ?

Have you looked at a Renown ? They are about right over a grand for the same drums.
I should have expected it haha. But I had a few mint broadkasters on my feed on reverb that were in the 2,300-2800 range. They werent the vintage build though. And I haven't looked into the renown line. Are they really that close?

fishstix94

Reaction score
The other weird thing with the gretsch renown line is that I just havent seen many renown setups that looked good to me. The kits that I have seen in person seemed to have cheap looking wraps.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And I haven't looked into the renown line. Are they really that close?
In my opinion.. sonically.. nah. They sound really good but it's a very familiar/common sound to me at least. They do have several nice lacquers.

I think the best drum Gretsch offers is clearly the Brooklyn. Less finish options but they sound better than all the others IMO.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I was casually scrolling through Instagram the other day and I stumbled upon a store selling one of the gretsch broadkasters featuring the vintage build. These things are just absolutely stunning. Everything that I'm looking for in a kit! After a little research I found out that a 3piece is about $3,500! That is just insane to me. Could I afford one? Technically... but I can't justify dropping that kind of dough on a kit? Hell no..

Anyone have one of these? What are your thoughts on them?

-Fish View attachment 385775
Just making sure that we are on the same page; the kit in the picture is not vintage build, since it has modern bassdrum feet and floor tom legs.

fishstix94

Reaction score
Just making sure that we are on the same page; the kit in the picture is not vintage build, since it has modern bassdrum feet and floor tom legs.
Ahh you're correct. I may have called it that because after seeing it I went looking at all of there kits.

What I want the most is the internal tone control. I really dig that. I would prefer the vintage legs as well, but could live without the vintage drum mount. I'm a lefty which would probably complicate things, but I prefer the virgin bass anyways.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion.. sonically.. nah. They sound really good but it's a very familiar/common sound to me at least. They do have several nice lacquers.

I think the best drum Gretsch offers is clearly the Brooklyn. Less finish options but they sound better than all the others IMO.
For me, I prefer the BK’s over the Brooklyn’s. And I’ve had both. That’s my two cents. You really can’t wrong with any Gretsch line with the exception of the Catalina’s. They never worked for me.

ScottGunshore

idrum = udig?
Reaction score
I scored this bop kit last week for under 2K. Anniversary Sparkle. 12/14/18. Built with all of the vintage options including rail consolette, spurs, and diamond leg brackets. Toms have mufflers top and bottom, bass drum has a Pratt muffler on the resonant side only.

Yes, I jumped on it.
p5xyuim6ohzaqe8hj0ms.jpg

g7btlthqxglms0zopufi.jpg

rvgoefl3ujrjimptqkjb.jpg

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broadkasters are my favorite drum line, and I've owned all the Gretsches. Spectacular drums. I will say: The modern "trim" is more functional than the vintage build if you gig a lot. Also, it's worth calling around to Gretsch dealers to make sure you're getting the lowest price.

fishstix94

Reaction score
Great drums. Worth the money. I don't see the problem.
I dont doubt that they're worth the money! But I also have a few things going against me:
- I'm not a full time musician by any stretch. I'm playing like 8-15 gigs a yr.
-working in the music industry has kept me on the road a ton, so do I really want to drop this kind of dough on a kit that I dont play a ton...

But who knows I might get one. I have been considering a career change and if that happens I'll have a lot more time for music! So we shall see!

fishstix94

Reaction score

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Immaculate workmanship and the best lacquers in the business. If you HAVE the money for a Gretsch kit, you should absolutely buy one.

cafunko

Reaction score
I've been playing one since August and they are beautiful sounding kits. My bass player always comments that he can feel the punch from my toms at our gigs. My one quandary with them is room consistency- the toms always sound good but the kick will sound phenomenal one night and like a shower curtain to me on the following night. Still working on a head combo to get it dialed in.

Broadkasters2.jpg

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I should have expected it haha. But I had a few mint broadkasters on my feed on reverb that were in the 2,300-2800 range. They werent the vintage build though. And I haven't looked into the renown line. Are they really that close?
I wouldn't call what's in your pic "vintage build" at all - very modern FT brackets, BD spurs, on a RIMS mount, etc.