header.nohb.html

Gretsch Brooklyn Micro kit and in general

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone played one? Opinions?

Opinions on micro kits in general? Does any particular one sound way bigger than it really is, can it replace a 20/14/12 for saving space etc.?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they save very much space over a 20/12/14 ..
The depth of bass drum is where you save your space in my opinion .
I tried the micro kit out with my Fibes .
I thought the 16” bass was doable , but I didn’t care for 10-13” for the toms .

I bought a vintage 20/12/14 with bass drum cymbal mount and tom mount for when I need to save space….

1E595C99-09A4-41A8-BD52-DFE0691E6257.jpeg

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you're looking to save space I've been considering a Gretsch Catalina Club with an 18 inch bass.

Sorry, no, I have not played a Brooklyn.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big fan of micro kits! Never had the Brooklyn. I have a round badge 12 14 20 and I converted a 16 to a bass and it's awesome. I have a stop sign 12, 11x13 and 14x16 that is a gorgeous sounding kit. I built out a Ludwig micro bop kit in 8x12/10x14/12x16 (marcher) last year with vintage shells. I bought a 7x10/11x13/10x14 micro Gretsch mish mash kit in 2020. The bass was okay but I want a little more so I converted a 14x16 Renown FT. Huge difference.

Tuning and heads plays a big role. Don't get hung up on smaller sizes. I agree the main purpose of a small kit for me is lighter weight, not necessarily saving a lot of stage space. I also really like the tighter setup and I feel like I can play faster.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone played one? Opinions?

Opinions on micro kits in general? Does any particular one sound way bigger than it really is, can it replace a 20/14/12 for saving space etc.?
I was going to order a Gretsch Kit in the beginning of the summer but I went with the Sonor . Place I ordered it from sent WMP . Wrong finish so I sent them back and ordered the Gretsch Micro kit . If I had done that off the bat I would have had them quick as Drum Center had the Natural in stock at that time . For me it’s not about the space so much as it’s more about Acoustic .

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of liked the small bass and floor tom but the 7x10 rack tom was just too small. And the weight of the hardware Gretsch loaded onto that mini kit felt like it killed the resonance. Just could not gen comfortable behind the kit. Mine was in and out w/in a month. I agree with the postings that suggest an 18-12-14 or even 20-12-14 does not take up much more real estate.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am feeling that, for the funky soul I’m playing lately, an 18x12 bass might be resting in the sweet zone.

Trick of course is choice of heads and tuning. Still experimenting in that regard.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the 16” kick. I like my toms to be 12/14 though.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I own both the official Brooklyn and a kit that was pieced together from a 16x12 bass drum using Gretsch parts that I purchased from a fellow forum member, and Renown and Catalina drums with a matching finished. I LOVE my Brooklyn kit (and the other one as much if not more.) The Brooklyn has "that" sound, and is constructed like a tank. To be honest the snare drum took some time to dial in, but the bass drum and toms were almost perfect right out of the box. No regrets and I recently gigged with it and was very pleased with it. I did have a diamond plate and Gretsch L-arm cymbal mounted to my bass drum shell.

Microkit-3-12May.jpg

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Own the Brooklyn Micro kit and have owned the others- Breakbeats, Sonor Martini, Tama Club Jam and Pearl Midtown and the Gretsch kills all of them.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Own the Brooklyn Micro kit and have owned the others- Breakbeats, Sonor Martini, Tama Club Jam and Pearl Midtown and the Gretsch kills all of them.
It is much more expensive than the others you mentioned though. That’s why I want to see if it is worth way more than the manu katche kit, breakbeats, catalina street etc.
I mean it’s a little $2k kit and it is an American made Gretsch kit, so I expect much more.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly I have a 22/16/13 kit and when I got the 20/14/12 I felt it was not a lot smaller. I think the difference in size, space, and weight is really felt when you go to 18/14/12 or maybe 16/13/10 but not sure how capable 16/13/10 is.

Agree?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
It is much more expensive than the others you mentioned though. That’s why I want to see if it is worth way more than the manu katche kit, breakbeats, catalina street etc.
I mean it’s a little $2k kit and it is an American made Gretsch kit, so I expect much more.
I have (and still) own a number of small kits myself. I would have to say that the cobbled-together micro kit I have is as good as my Brooklyn micro, but after I purchased 302 hoops and other tweaks it cost darn near the same.

But of the two Gretch micro kits I own I can say that the quality and sound are vastly superior to the other smaller kits. I favor micro and bop size kits, so I am biased towards them. There was a time when I was firmly in the 20/12/14 camp and never thought I would play something smaller. Then I purchased an Odery Cafe kit (14 BD!) and fell in love. So my Brooklyn micro doesn't seem that small. Interestingly, the Odery sounds almost as good as the Gretsch, and is as well made (including weight.)

As the saying goes, Life is a brief flash of light between two eternities. Just buy the <expletive deleted> Brooklyn micro kit :)

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have (and still) own a number of small kits myself. I would have to say that the cobbled-together micro kit I have is as good as my Brooklyn micro, but after I purchased 302 hoops and other tweaks it cost darn near the same.

But of the two Gretch micro kits I own I can say that the quality and sound are vastly superior to the other smaller kits. I favor micro and bop size kits, so I am biased towards them. There was a time when I was firmly in the 20/12/14 camp and never thought I would play something smaller. Then I purchased an Odery Cafe kit (14 BD!) and fell in love. So my Brooklyn micro doesn't seem that small. Interestingly, the Odery sounds almost as good as the Gretsch, and is as well made (including weight.)

As the saying goes, Life is a brief flash of light between two eternities. Just buy the <expletive deleted> Brooklyn micro kit :)
The price for the Brooklyn micro kit is not low, how does it compare to 18/14/12 size wise? The fact that the price is not much different makes it hard for the buyer to choose it over the bop sizes.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The price for the Brooklyn micro kit is not low, how does it compare to 18/14/12 size wise? The fact that the price is not much different makes it hard for the buyer to choose it over the bop sizes.
I have never played a Brooklyn in bop sizes so cannot say one way or the other. I can guess, though, and surmise that they are not going to sound significantly different. The micro kit will project less, but the tone is probably the same.

One key difference may be the bop snare drum is going to be 8 lug instead of 6, so tuning that will be easy. On that note, make sure you are comparing a Brooklyn bop kit that includes a snare drum when you factoring in prices because most Brooklyn bop kits do not include the snare drum. The micro kit does.

It comes down to whether or not you prefer the micro or the bop sizes. I play both and am comfortable with the micro sizes. Like I said in an earlier post, it is a step up in size from my 14/10/12/12sn Odery Cafe kit. And I have gigged with that one too. For some reason I prefer very small format kits.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never played one but I did a few gigs with a guy who had just got a new set of them and was also using Ludwig Accents as his day to day kit. The Accents were fine but the Brooklyns were noticeably better. They have a really rich tone. I forgot the tom sizes but the 18” bass drum was quite impressive for a little one.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play a Brooklyn bop kit. I enjoy it more each day. It’s very versatile. I’m sure the micro kit is nice too but the price difference between the two is small enough to go the traditional route in my opinion. The resale on the bop kit will be easier as well.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never played one but I did a few gigs with a guy who had just got a new set of them and was also using Ludwig Accents as his day to day kit. The Accents were fine but the Brooklyns were noticeably better. They have a really rich tone. I forgot the tom sizes but the 18” bass drum was quite impressive for a little one.
Whoops…was thinking you were talking about the bop kit when you said Micro kit. Didn’t know they made an even smaller kit.