Gretsch Brooklyn vs Ludwig Classic Maple

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
Looking for real-world opinions on Gretsch Brooklyn vs Ludwig Classic Maple. Both live and in studio.

Outside of the sound (primary interest) I’d also be interested in experiences with quality control of recently made (ie current Ludwig and post DW Gretsch).

Last edited:

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Looking for real-world opinions on Gretsch Brooklyn vs Legacy Maple. Both live and in studio.

Outside of the sound (primary interest) I’d also be interested in experiences with quality control of recently made (ie current Ludwig and post DW Gretsch).
Why these 2 specifically? They don’t share much in common besides wood species

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
While I have played Gretsch most of my life, I really love the Ludwig Legacy Line. They are absolutely fabulous drums...super fat and juicy. Not a contest in my opinion...Legacy all the way. I have multiple kits in this line.

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
Sorry I meant *Classic* Maple vs. Brooklyn. Thread edited.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking for real-world opinions on Gretsch Brooklyn vs Classic Maple. Both live and in studio.

What sizes?

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
Bumping this since I screwed up the initial post. Anyone played both have thoughts?

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I was looking to buy a new kit in 2012, I was looking at the Ludwig Legacy (maple) and the Gretsch Brooklyn series. They were both the same wood type (maple/poplar) and same bearing edge. In 2012, the Ludwig Legacy was the top of the line kit for Ludwig (they didn't have the Legacy Mahogany line yet) and from my experience the thinner shells/less ply shells don't project that much (stage volume wise) which is one reason I went with the Brooklyn series plus I owned Gretsch Catalina kit as well and loved the tone.

I do own a Ludwig Classic Maple snare and it's actually one of my favorite snare drums. The build quality is great and just a great sounding drum.

I have played a Classic Maple kit as well for about a week a few years ago (backline) and it's a great sound.

My Brooklyn kit looks and sounds great as well and fantastic build quality. Between the two lines (Classic Maple and Brooklyn), the Brooklyn kit will be slightly mellower and the Classic Maple will have a brighter/livelier tone all due to both brands bearing edges and hoops.

IMO, you really can't go wrong with either brand/series.

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
I own a set of each. What specific questions do you have?
I saw your other thread. Which was helpful.
  • Volume wise - how do they compare?
  • Quality wise any obvious differences?
  • Sound differences?
  • Versatility - musical styles and studio vs live
  • General thoughts between the two

Last edited:

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would pick Gretsch Brooklyn for this new wrap they offer called Blue Burst Nitron Pearl. I wish I could get my hands on that wrap to use on my drums.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw your other thread. Which was helpful.
  • Volume wise - how do they compare?
  • Quality wise any obvious differences?
  • Sound differences?
  • Versatility - musical styles and studio vs live
  • General thoughts between the two
To my ears they are very close in volume, although I would say the Classic Maples are probably a tad louder. Again, it is really close. The Classic Maples tend to have more highs present, which may give the impression of more volume.

I know people have regaled us with horror stories from owning each of these brands, but both of my sets are well made and issue-free. I do not like the floor tom leg mounting system for the Classic Maples, but the hardware on the Brookyns is quite heavy. (Generally speaking, the Brooklyns are noticeably heavier.)

As far as sound differences, the Brooklyns are a bit drier and more defined. They still sound very warm and round though. I do like the Brooklyn bass more due to the fact that it sounds fuller and more powerful. The Classic Maples are a bit more open sounding. They have a slightly (tiny) larger tuning range, to my ears at least. The Classic Maples are easier to dig into if that makes sense. The Brooklyns play a bit stiffer and harder under the stick.

Both are flexible and adaptable kits. I have played rock, funk/soul, and pop with both kits.

My general thoughts? Either set will serve you well. If I were only going to keep one, it would be the Brooklyns. I say this because the Brooklyns have their own sound. They don't sound like USA Customs nor do they sound like straight maple drums. They have a little something different about them. I also like the bass a bit more, which is important to me. You can get the Brooklyns with a wide variety of finishes (more than they list on the website) which is also really nice.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have a preference?
Sorry, I missed your question. It would be very close, but I would pick the Brooklyns. I like the Classic Maples, but I'm not a fan of their hardware and their finishes are mostly meh. The bass drum on the Brooklyns has more oomph to it, which I really like. Having said all that, the Classic Maples have their own sound that is really cool and different than other maple sets. My main complaint with the Brooklyns is the 302 hoops and the hardware make them significantly heavier. Lugging drums in and out of venues gets old really quickly under the best of circumstances. The extra weight is a drag.