Gretsch Cadillac Green

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
What did you say???? Did you just say.... you got yourself a beautiful "original" early 1950s vintage 22/13/16 Gretsch RB kit in caddy green lacquer with no mods or extra holes.

Bro... Caddy Green RB kits are super rare and as far as I know less then 12 (if that many) are known to exist.

R

RickP

I really like the Cadillac Green , but if I had my druthers a Copper Mist kit would be the Gretsch kit for me.

Nice kit Manny, I am sure it will clean up nicely.

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just saw your post of Facebook. They're gorgeous, congrats! I'm super curious, were they a find- sitting in some widow's basement or from a dealer or the like?

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not from a dealer I will say that much. Seller was former 82nd and also Infantry which was cool.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I'm sure you already know this, but it bears saying anyway - be incredibly careful about cleanup. Anything that will remove oxidation and tarnish will most likely happily remove the gold plate.

I'd consult with Black Beauty/ancient Ludwig guys, who are used to dealing with finishes and plating itching to fall off a drum at a moment's notice and an unkind glance, rendering it just another grubby old shell/lug/clip.

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
It would be worth you notifying Steve Maxwell of this beauty (not to sell to him!) but he has the scope on all the other Caddy Green kits in the world today. I think with your recent find, that would make it around 15?

anthonyfossaluzza

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Normally we have "LOOK AG THIS MIJ SET I SCORED FOR 100 BUCKS AT A YARD SALE" with a back story and a bunch of pics. Here we have a super rare historical significant set that has just been uncovered and we barely get pics and a few words. PLEASE WE NEED MORE!! PLEASE!

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
airborneSFC said:
Not from a dealer I will say that much. Seller was former 82nd and also Infantry which was cool.
Wow very cool, it's only fitting that you were the one got them then. I'll be watching this thread lol.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Might throw up more pictures. I won't reveal all my methods on how I restore. Have a background in coins and cars so a lot of the same thoughts & considerations.