Gretsch Cadillac Green

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is really, really impressive - both the kit AND the cleaning/restoration!

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! Special mention to Ron Vierra for his work machining the floor tom legs and bass spurs. His attention to detail and work is second to none.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
18 20 22 all lined up...just waiting for a logo head and some small parts for a final photo shoot.

Interestingly enough the one Remo head on the kit said Manny's music on it.

Attachments

J

jaymandude

Great drums

And the cymbal in that Blakey photo? The rivet holes ? Crazy

J

jaymandude

Great drums

And the cymbal in that Blakey photo? The rivet holes ? Crazy

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used to contend, the cymbal with all the rivets? was an off-the-shelf Gretsch endorser (if you were in 1950..) cymbal. An A. Zildjian.
-note- not an " Avedis Zildjian".

Gretsch held the 'rights' to the name (and company) 'A. Zildjian'.
'Avedis Zildjian' was (and is/ a USA company.

A,Zildjian (which Gretsch had the imports rights to,) were an off-shoot of the 'K.Zildjian' Turkish cymbal.

Some 'A.Zildjian' pictures of the stamp say Made In Romania on them (memory is being taxed here..)

And..my point... Look at the 'rivet cymbal' in the GRETSCH 1950 (..) catalog. Below)

There it is.

The rivet A, Zildjian.
Note in description it says "made in Constantinople Turkey...)

I think that is what Art is playing there; he didn't take time too much 'picking'. Whatever Gretsch had he used (courtesy of 'picker' Phil Grant-

See 'A.Zildjian Sizzle' in catalog below. The 'coincidental circumstances' are remarkable.

Attachments

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really dig the floor tom brackets...never noticed those before.

Beautiful work, sir!

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tilter said:
I really dig the floor tom brackets...never noticed those before.

Beautiful work, sir!
Thank you!! Like I learned in the Army attention to detail. The floor brackets might not be the most practical units but they sure look nice.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
gretsch should have put them on the current line of broadkasters

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do wonder why some options are available only to one line of US made Gretsch drums vs others. Anyway how about a good before and after set in one post.

Buying the drums was a roll of the dice with poor pictures and description. The original seller had no knowledge of drums so I had to walk him through the process of inspecting, covering my concerns and shipping.

Attachments

J

jaymandude

JDA said:
I used to contend, the cymbal with all the rivets? was an off-the-shelf Gretsch endorser (if you were in 1950..) cymbal. An A. Zildjian.
-note- not an " Avedis Zildjian".

Gretsch held the 'rights' to the name (and company) 'A. Zildjian'.
'Avedis Zildjian' was (and is/ a USA company.

A,Zildjian (which Gretsch had the imports rights to,) were an off-shoot of the 'K.Zildjian' Turkish cymbal.

Some 'A.Zildjian' pictures of the stamp say Made In Romania on them (memory is being taxed here..)

And..my point... Look at the 'rivet cymbal' in the GRETSCH 1950 (..) catalog. Below)

There it is.

The rivet A, Zildjian.
Note in description it says "made in Constantinople Turkey...)

I think that is what Art is playing there; he didn't take time too much 'picking'. Whatever Gretsch had he used (courtesy of 'picker' Phil Grant-

See 'A.Zildjian Sizzle' in catalog below. The 'coincidental circumstances' are remarkable.
Thank you. That's cool.

I saw Keltner with Little Village and his Paiste 22 had about 24 in it. I've tried to emulate with this inexpensive Sabian SR2 I bought. I think I put 16 in mine. Clearly not enough.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I get an offer for what I think they are worth I might sell. For now I will play them.

Latest posts