Gretsch Cadillac Green

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't get all the hush hush on price over these kits? Why doesn't revival list a price ?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
old saying in the car business" If you have to ask the price.... (you kant afford them ;) natch

You're supposed to just walk in and say " I'll take it"
(whilst lighting a cigar with a 10$ bill...)

(lol
Think that started in a Bentley showroom circa 1934

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I asked Revival for a price and did not get one. I even asked how much to buy them right now.

Anyway drums are neat and this restoration was a chore but always more drums to be found.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
o you have to make an offer : Would 12000 buy these?" Or would you take 3500? feel them out..

I love negotiating

Leffler

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I keep hearing "fewer than a dozen" of these original kits are known to exist. Has anyone tracked the existing ones? Sounds like we know where two are right now.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maxwell has two, Rusty Drums has two, there are two forum members (besides me) with them. I am putting together a list.

Matte

Reaction score
Is all Birdland kit three ply?I don't recall seeing any floor tom whit the diamonds bracket just Gladstone.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen there are kits in Caddy green with the diamond floor tom brackets. It was not un heard of to have factory mixed 3 and 6 ply kits.

Thanks to Randy for the logo head! Even has the Gretsch permatone stamp on it.

Attachments

david goodstein

Reaction score
charlie watts bought 1 or 2 from steve maxwell.. i cannot remember how many; that's what i was told a few years ago when i was there..
beautiful job though!

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another forum member has a diamond plate setup Gretsch caddy green set. Also I think Rusty Drums in the UK has one. Here is a daylight photo.

This kit is a hangar queen so far. Lots of show and no go.

Attachments

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Attachments

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
My set is the unrestored example CG at Rusty Drums. The other set there belongs to Paul Clarvis. I think there are around 15/16 sets to my knowledge? I also saw a restored CG kit at the CT Vintage Show a few years back. The stall holder said the set was not restored but I can't believe that. If it was not restored we would be talking NOS and he would be sitting on a fortune?

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't feel I changed the value of my kit. If anything increased it. In fact as I pointed out anything swapped from original was N.O.S. or 1950's Gretsch spares I had plated.

I used these folks for plating:

http://metroplating.com/

They do all the plating services that most guys on here and other drum forums say can't be done. There was one other company in the area I used which I would avoid at all costs.

Anyway so long as I am here I will use them for all my restoration work. Will be fun when I get back into planes and cars again.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome!! I actually am playing it with an acro I bought off a forum member.
The stick chopper hoops take a bit getting used to. I think with die cast or the new 302 hoops it might help out.

Anyway the Pratt mufflers on front and back of the bass drum are great! Lots of easy fine tuning. I understand why they did it now.