header.nohb.html

Gretsch Catalina Club Lug Issues

Bobby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
499
Reaction score
7
Location
CT
I did a search on this topic and it seems I'm the not the only one who has had issues with CC lug issues. What I couldn't find is the specific issues or more importantly, solutions. Here is the issue: When tensioning the bass drum, I had noticed the rod wasn't tightening. My first thought was the rod or the receiver nut was stripped. Not the case. What's happening is the receiver nut is spinning with the rod inside the lug casing. I took the lug off to investigate. There's a plastic spacer that I assume is supposed to hold the lug nut secure and allow the tension rod to tighten. It's not working. This has happened on several lugs.

I've used the kit on a couple gigs. It's certainly not a high end kit, but for bar gigs, it gets the job done. The price was right. Problem now is the kit is useless. Would you guys suggest contacting the retailer (not sure what they can do)? Try to fix it myself (I'm desperate for a suggestion on this option)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
204
Location
Texas
Is this on the newer Catalina Club kits?

I have the older Catalina Club model with the single lug design (similar to Ludwig Club Date) and have not had any issues with any of the lugs.
 

Murat

DFO Veteran
Joined
Jun 22, 2015
Messages
2,619
Reaction score
3,241
Location
Aurora, Ontario
Sounds like the size of the lug insert is wrong. They should never rotate, being in such a tight casing. Maybe you buy a pack of correct sized inserts or even better, get the retailer to send you a couple packs and it should solve the problem , no?
 

Bobby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
499
Reaction score
7
Location
CT
Yes, I just purchased the kit in July. It's a double lug design. Lugs are fairly small. About an inch long and have thick black spacers raising the lug off the shell.
 

Bobby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
499
Reaction score
7
Location
CT
Murat said:
Sounds like the size of the lug insert is wrong. They should never rotate, being in such a tight casing. Maybe you buy a pack of correct sized inserts or even better, get the retailer to send you a couple packs and it should solve the problem , no?
That was my exact thought. I have an email into the retailer. Thanks.
 

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
3,391
Reaction score
2,234
Location
N.E. Ohio
Yes, it very much sounds like the wrong inserts. I have bins and bins full of them (never throw anything away!). Go to your local drum shop. I'm a Gretsch dealer, and have sold many, many Catalina kits. Never had a problem. But If you had bought them locally here, I'd fix the problem on the spot -- at least get you up and running -- then let Gretsch (DW) know of the difficulty. I'm confident DW would send out the correct parts straight away.
 

Bobby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
499
Reaction score
7
Location
CT
frankmott said:
Yes, it very much sounds like the wrong inserts. I have bins and bins full of them (never throw anything away!). Go to your local drum shop. I'm a Gretsch dealer, and have sold many, many Catalina kits. Never had a problem. But If you had bought them locally here, I'd fix the problem on the spot -- at least get you up and running -- then let Gretsch (DW) know of the difficulty. I'm confident DW would send out the correct parts straight away.
Thanks Doug. So when you say "wrong insert, are you referring to the swivet nut or the plastic insert that slides into the groove in the lug casing.

I spoke to the retailer who was trying to be helpful, but I dont think he was a drummer. He clearly didn't understand the issue. He did offer to contact Gretsch for me, which is good. BTW, when you say (DW), did I miss something? Did DW buy Gretsch?
 

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
3,391
Reaction score
2,234
Location
N.E. Ohio
Yes,as of January 2015, DW distributes Gretsch. With the exception of the USA stuff, they may as well own it. All the import product (including Catalina) is basically a licensing agreement. DW brings it in directly from Asia. The transition was pretty rough for the first year, but now things are going very smoothly. For the record, DW does now own LP and Gibraltar (part of the same deal in Jan, '15).
And yes, I mean the threaded metal part, not the plastic retainer (though I suppose that could be the problem as well, but not as likely).
I'd guess that DW will find it easier to simply replace the entire complete lug casing. But don't quote me!
 

Bobby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
499
Reaction score
7
Location
CT
frankmott said:
Yes,as of January 2015, DW distributes Gretsch. With the exception of the USA stuff, they may as well own it. All the import product (including Catalina) is basically a licensing agreement. DW brings it in directly from Asia. The transition was pretty rough for the first year, but now things are going very smoothly. For the record, DW does now own LP and Gibraltar (part of the same deal in Jan, '15).
And yes, I mean the threaded metal part, not the plastic retainer (though I suppose that could be the problem as well, but not as likely).
I'd guess that DW will find it easier to simply replace the entire complete lug casing. But don't quote me!
Thanks again Doug. I have an email into Gretsch.
 


Top