Gretsch Catalina

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great thread,, anyone who's painted the interiors, how did it effect the sound?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Great thread,, anyone who's painted the interiors, how did it effect the sound?
I brushed a couple coats of polyurethane on the interiors of my Cat Birch kit which didn't result in any noticeable difference - if it did make any audible difference only dogs can hear it.

It made for a nicer finished-look shell interior, though.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I brushed a couple coats of polyurethane on the interiors of my Cat Birch kit which didn't result in any noticeable difference - if it did make any audible difference only dogs can hear it.

It made for a nicer finished-look shell interior, though.
Birch is a harder wood anyways,,, I wonder about treated luan shells.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Birch is a harder wood anyways,,, I wonder about treated luan shells.
Luan, being more porous, is likely a better candidate for interior poly treatments according to Tommy Wells, as it supposedly hardens and reinforces the shell somewhat after curing but I have no experience treating luan shells. I have, however, treated old Sling & WFL ribbon mahogany shell interiors and it seemed to brighten up their tone somewhat.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Catalina jazz kit like the one in my avatar has 6 coats of wipe on Poly Urethane and there was no noticeable difference one way or another in the way they sound.

makaha

Reaction score
I just checked the badges and they don't say "catalina elite" so it's likely these are very early "catalina club".

It's nearly impossible to find the 10" or 8" toms with a single lug and I'll never find one in which the silver sparkle has gone gold so evenly as this set has aged.

Going to set up the bronze set and check out how different they sound with the heads from this set.

I'm awarding extra mojo credit if anyone can identify the black drum on the bottom left.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Luckily my silver sparkle Catalina kit (like yours with the single lug) is still silver sparkle and hasn't changed to a golden color.

I just checked the badges and they don't say "catalina elite" so it's likely these are very early "catalina club".

It's nearly impossible to find the 10" or 8" toms with a single lug and I'll never find one in which the silver sparkle has gone gold so evenly as this set has aged.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...I can comment on the maples because I have a 10/12/16/22 set....Except for the snare, which is hard for me to get sounding decent, I was initially very pleased with my Cats...
I have almost the same set, but with the added 14" FT and 8" RT too.

As for the snare, I had to do a lot to it get mine to sound decent. Now I use it more than my 4160COB. good REMO heads, 42 wire strainer, new INDe Throw-off, bearing edge conditioner, tuning and more tuning. It's a heck of a jazz snare now. super sensitive. after all the mods, It was a one trick pony (jazz) until I recently picked up a Big Fat Snare Drum ring for it. Now its a two trick pony, Jazz and Blues.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Going to set up the bronze set and check out how different they sound with the heads from this set.

I'm awarding extra mojo credit if anyone can identify the black drum on the bottom left.

yamaha tunable floor tom maybe ?

makaha

Reaction score
That was fast.

I never knew they existed until I chanced upon this one.
Apparently, it sat for 25 years and it's missing the adjustment screw for pedal to the actuator. If I can't find one, I know I can machine one that's identical.

makaha

Reaction score
Found the floor tom behind boxes.

I didn't realize that both sets were early catalina club but the gold kit is superior.

This one doesn't say "made in taiwan" anywhere other than on an extra orphan tom with a round badge.