Gretsch chrome snare identification

mewing

Reaction score
Hey Gretsch people!
I have had this snare for a few years, and I don't know what model it is.
It is full of issues and missing parts, most notably the model number and badge, but functions.
No vent grommet (if there was one), no key holder, non-matching lug casing screws and washers, pitting on throw-off and hoops...
I'm also not sure if the adjustable butt plate is correct, but I don't see any extra holes inside.
I've surfed around and haven't found this drum.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2205.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't know the year but it's a 5x14 model 4160. I think it's 2nd Gen. as it has the lightning throw and not the micro sensitive, but it's the 1st gen of the lightning throw because the throw is on the left, not centered, and has the 4 point butt, not the fishtail butt. Also, has hex screws so it's later than round screw heads. It's missing the key holder (the hole about 1"), and I don't see a badge but pretty sure it's a RB. Guessing late 60's to about 71-ish? Real Gretsch vintage guys can chime in on date.....

mewing

Reaction score
It is from about 1968-69. It was listed for sale on eBay in August 2013.
You have too good of a memory!
Not sure if that's where I got it, or if I got it from the buyer back then.
I keep a pretty detailed spreadsheet on my drum gear, but this one isn't on there, suggesting that it came to me with a kit.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have that good of a memory. I have a very detailed spreadsheet of Gretsch drums with serial numbers which I started over a decade ago. There are times when certain information that I would like to record is not provided, but may show up a few years later if the drum is resold or relisted. I use this spreadsheet as the basis for my dating guide, which was first published in 2011.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So that throw came out in '68....thanks, K.O.

But I didn't know the 4160 COB shell was seamless.....it seems like there is a seam.....

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score

But I didn't know the 4160 COB shell was seamless.....it seems like there is a seam.....
I'm not sure the catalog was correct on that particular sales point.

Maybe correct initially but it does seem at some point they changed the construction method without changing the catalog copy...but that seems fairly common in the vintage drum world.

Last edited:

mewing

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all you help! There was a faint sign of this drum having a round badge at one point in its life. KC Drum Dad, I have your dating guide. When you mentioned it, it rang a bell.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I have that exact drum, with the side throw flip strainer. The adjustable butt plate is correct. It has no badge. It was manufactured without one. It's from 1968-69, maybe a bit later. I guess Gretsch was running low on badges...? It also came with original 20 strand snares, not the 42 strand.
It's very finicky with heads. Standard heads don't fit. A Remo Classic fit batter works well.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Funny, that Gretsch ad didn't boast about the shell being brass in the title, rather just simply 'metal'. Would never see that these days.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
When this drum was produced using the 1st Gen Lightning throw off (circa 1968-71) Gretsch was had it in the works to redesign their drum badge. Those that were manufactured without a badge would likely fall into that timeframe circa 1970/71.

mewing

Reaction score
Just to update, I sold this drum to a local drummer who wanted the sound, but couldn't spend what it would cost for a really nice one. So, it's being loved behind a kit regularly now. Thanks again for the input everyone!