Gretsch Clone

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold Paul's gretsch back to him.
100% no regrets.
But...I kinda miss that great gretsch tone...but I dont want a set with a wrap.

Has any if you built a "gretsch clone" kit and been happy?

Has any of you heard a friends gretsch clone kit and liked it.

I know some will say "there is nothing like a gretsch..can't copy it...just like an old K"

But I dont need exactly a gretsch..and I love the idea of a custom or DIY kit.

Right now Im parked in neutral..not looking to buy.

Going to slap my renaissance heads on my premiers tonight!

egw

Reaction score
Medium-thick shells, outward-sloping rounded edges and die-cast hoops. That's all you need to know about Gretsch. Weren't you just asking how to clone Maple Customs a few days ago?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"It's like trying to build a BMW in yer backyard..." M4 Heritage
BMWMMBB.JPG

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Medium-thick shells, outward-sloping rounded edges and die-cast hoops. That's all you need to know about Gretsch. Weren't you just asking how to clone Maple Customs a few days ago?
Yes and yes.

I've been contemplating a precision drum company custom kit and waffling around on what I would/might want...some day over the rainbow...

I know precision did one. An orange sparkle. It was floating around here and cymbalholic for sale a few times. Think it was 16" bass drum

Reactions: egw

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think they have to be maple-gum-maple shells. Or maybe maple-popular-maple?

Skeet6

Reaction score
Tom, this kit was built by Gary at Precision in 2004. Thin 8 ply Keller, and just recently I had the extra escarole in my wallet to buy some Pearl Mastercast die casts all around (not just the snare which always had them per my spec). I can get super-Gretsch-y sounds out of it easily in my favored (bop) tuning range. A little "cleaner", maybe a more "perfect" tone than Gretsch, though. Tunes like moving a machinehead on a guitar... my Gretsch kits won't do that. Talk to Gary - tell him what you are thinking, make it happen.
Mike B
20200513_175051.jpg
20200513_175153.jpg
20200513_175123.jpg

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think they have to be maple-gum-maple shells. Or maybe maple-popular-maple?
I think having an experienced builder like precision is a good way to go. I’m not sure the wood or even the number of plies are as big a deal as everyone thinks. Thickness of the shell, rerings or not, bearing edge contour, type of rims, the amount of mass on the shell. These things matter more.

check out joshs diatribe about shells at inde.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tom, this kit was built by Gary at Precision in 2004. Thin 8 ply Keller, and just recently I had the extra escarole in my wallet to buy some Pearl Mastercast die casts all around (not just the snare which always had them per my spec). I can get super-Gretsch-y sounds out of it easily in my favored (bop) tuning range. A little "cleaner", maybe a more "perfect" tone than Gretsch, though. Tunes like moving a machinehead on a guitar... my Gretsch kits won't do that. Talk to Gary - tell him what you are thinking, make it happen.
Mike B
View attachment 449902 View attachment 449908 View attachment 449909
Wow. Absolutely amazing. I bet they sound great.

I wouldn't want another wrapped kit though.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Has any if you built a "gretsch clone" kit and been happy?
Has any of you heard a friends gretsch clone kit and liked it.

I know some will say "there is nothing like a gretsch..can't copy it...just like an old K"
But I dont need exactly a gretsch..and I love the idea of a custom or DIY kit.
Gretsch will do all that for you
It's called "Renown"

Yeah they have their own umbrella "precision drum company". Over in Taiwan...
and crank out "Gretsch copies" by the hundreds every month

Last edited:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gretsch will do all that for you
....deliver it to your door...with or w/o snare/ free ship and call it "Renown"
Well, some company in China will do it for you with Gretsch's permission. But they'll do a better job than any custom builder because that's what they do ALL DAY.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
But I don't think (...) you'd be satisfied with it... They sound like Tamayamamapexpearl...
...you know "real clean". sanitized. none of that 'twang and gummy grit.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd put some die-cast Hoops on that Premier kit. You'd be surprised how much of the sound are the hoops. I also played a Gretsch Catalina kit with Die Cast hoops and it sounded fantastic. I have plenty of vintage Gretsch kits so I'm not saying it's the same, but it's pretty darn close.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why is it that you're not just buying a Gretsch set?
If you're willing to have wiggle-room on the more authentic Gretsch details, why not do a boutique custom build with rounder edges and cast hoops? Like Hendrix stave or any number of custom ply-drum builders? I think those would have a lot better resale value that a one-off custom kit. Which, let's be honest, seems like an important variable here.

I say either get a Gretsch, or get a boutique set with a few gretsch-like specs; for their resale value.
You could also buy up some Gretsch orphans and have precision add a matching veneer to all of the drums...

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I consider my Gretsch New Classic (Taiwan-made) a Gretsch clone. Not too valuable or delicate (nitro lacquer in hot car anyone?), but close enough in sound to my ears. It's not a clone in tersm of looks, has its own kind of thing. I prefer this by far over something that looks close but the sound/feel is not quite there. Renowns are like that to me.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not a clone but...

location Switzerland.

"mean (like a terrier) kit"

egw

Reaction score
Not a clone but...

location Switzerland.

I wasn't such a big fan of them at the time, but those Broadkasters really were some handsome drums.

"mean (like a terrier) kit"

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how much a custom Gretsch clone would cost vs a comparable real Gretsch kit?
I don't think buying a clone of anything ever makes sense. Financially speaking, it makes no sense in the short or long term, emotionally speaking, you will always feel that you don't have "the real thing" and functionally, it will never be exactly the same. A custom made "unique or proprietary design" kit is one thing but a clone of something? No thanks! Just my opinion!

Last edited: