Gretsch copper mist lacquer 12x16 new era round badge bass drum shell with vintage parts

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I got lucky and nabbed this shell from Lee Ruff..for a short short time he had this and an identical 14x18 on Ebay..they were only up for a few days and then he took them down; partially due to him wanting to keep them etc.
Only the shell, hoops and original new non-springloaded lugs were included.
I made an offer on the 12x16 as it was knowing I could find vintage parts; which is what Lee wanted to do also.
He accepted my offer.
And since then I've been selling other things to afford all vintage parts (finally sold and traded enough stuff atm etc) with a repro consolette upper section, to out fit this modern RB maple gum shell with vintage hardware.
My research project while at home doing and earning nothing etc (before starting another 16 project)
Attempting to maintain.
I really wanted to do research on a 12x16 and I wanted to try new gretsch round badge shells with a true vintage hardware build out. Didnt expect or plan to do any of this now but I saw and opportunity and said yep.
I am very impressed.
The shells look and sound like the past. Truly remarkable.
As soon as I started to tune it up I could hear its similarities to the older shells. These shells sing/hum the same way.
Bravo Gretsch and Keller.
Had to share.
I've owned other 16s (Modern Drum Shop) but never a factory gretsch 16...soooooo rad
Loud punchy etc..I hear the nuances just like in my vintage gretsch.
The copper mist nitrocellulose lacquer is exquisite.
I used an older original consolette bottom since the repros do not have the correct radius for any bass drum :/ anyone experience that?
So far, a keeper.
Haaaad to share☆♡

*I'm having some thoracic outlet syndrome issues/lots of pain since high school and no help from rude unsympathetic doctors/lost everything due to covid/lost everything 12times over since 2008/the stories I have ehhh.**comed power company wont claim responsibility for damaging by building-apartment and now I have black mold on my inner walls/so sometimes the plunge is necessary..im at my end/so gotta live
Gretsch drums help.
Thnx fer readn'

Attachments

Last edited:

hatandbeard

Reaction score
And drilled for Mr. Jimmy Pratt...
Yup! And I found an original vintage one on eBay from an 18 inch bass drum and it fits excellent but I do kind of an interesting thing where I roll the access of the felt up into the mechanism. That way there's only a little bit touching when I choose to turn the knob on. Of course I leave the little metal plate and screws attached at the bottom but the felt isn't attached there anymore.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Or is that for a standard Gretsch muffler?
Great question I would have been very cool with a regular TomTom Muffler drilled correctly for that position but it just so happens that this came out of the factory drilled for a pratt and I love the look of a pratt anyway

Latest posts