Gretsch Defenders WWII

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I know that there is limited interest in owning a WWII set. I have the possibility of acquiring some of these drums. I would keep some but would need to move the rest. Before I make an offer I would like to know if there would be any interest in some of these historical period drums.

26,12,14 tac toms duco blue/gold all heads,bits, rails included some blemishes potential strip and refinish in the natural wood[See Cruds snare project] or freshen up and leave as is.

12,14 tac toms silver /blue duco very clean. ..

I AM NOT SELLING THESE NOW I am merely seeing if I can afford to keep the kit BECAUSE I can move the others.

Any interest please contact me and I will supply some pix upon request.

Thanx . . . . . BOOM

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Defenders are the rarest of the WWII drums. They just do not come up that often. However, I'm not sure War Time drums are bring as much $ as they used too. The market seems to be soft these days.

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While all of the WWII drums are cool, only Rolling Bombers and early WFL war drums are actually playable due to the double heads. Gretsch Defenders, Ludwig & Ludwig Victory, and Leedy Dreadnoughts all had tacked on bottom heads, limiting tuning and playability. Rolling Bombers are extremely popular with players and collectors, as they can actually be played on stage. However, the fragile nature of the wooden lugs (walnut and rosewood) makes it a bit of a risk. It's mainly the snare drum lugs that can be a problem, since they tend to break under the higher tension a snare drum usually needs. If Slingerland had used maple lugs on their snare drums (like Defenders and the others), they would have been much more durable.

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
I am in full agreement with Mark and not only were the lugs in question but some of the hoops as well. They tend to bend under tension. Leedys were several pieces glued together that begin to separate. The best sounding/tuning and most durable lugs and especially the massive hoops WWII kit I have is the L&L Victory's. I am amazed at the sound production and versitility even with the tac bottoms. It goes against the theory but wow. I used modern heads on top which I am sure helped the tuning range. A vintage Aquarian on the batter BD head and the Calf up front with felt strips. Whoa!!. The snare drum has a tuning range,sensitivty and KICK! that rivals later year drums and the bossa style cross rim is simply amazing.

ANYHOO Any G Defender interest? If not . . . . over the pond I go !!

Thanx for the responses!!
Full Deal.jpg All of the drums to the right in the pic are available.

Qvintagedrums

Reaction score
I am in full agreement with Mark and not only were the lugs in question but some of the hoops as well. They tend to bend under tension. Leedys were several pieces glued together that begin to separate. The best sounding/tuning and most durable lugs and especially the massive hoops WWII kit I have is the L&L Victory's. I am amazed at the sound production and versitility even with the tac bottoms. It goes against the theory but wow. I used modern heads on top which I am sure helped the tuning range. A vintage Aquarian on the batter BD head and the Calf up front with felt strips. Whoa!!. The snare drum has a tuning range,sensitivty and KICK! that rivals later year drums and the bossa style cross rim is simply amazing.

ANYHOO Any G Defender interest? If not . . . . over the pond I go !!

Thanx for the responses!!
View attachment 175260 All of the drums to the right in the pic are available.
Hi!

I realize this was posted quite some time ago..... curious if you still have these defender drums?
Very interested!

Thanks for your time!

Robin

[email protected]