Gretsch Die Cast-Same today as 50 years ago

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a '50 snare with DC hoops that were recently replaced with the same Gretsch DC hoops that I purchased.
Are they the same animal. Will it hurt resale value by doing this

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are die casts but I am sure the new ones aren't the "same" as old ones - the underlying metal, the plating process and the mojo!

I'd keep the old ones just in case you sell......some buyers are just "like that" and demand everything original.........

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
New ones are a little lighter , a smidge less thick and not as tall.
It’s not talked about much. Which is a little surprising to me.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The new ones are made overseas. So that's different. They look pretty much the same although I have never had them side by side to do a detailed comparison. If anything the plating seems to be better now than they were near the end of the USA production of such parts. It's unlikely they are using the same molds as dies do wear out but that would apply regardless of where they were being made..

I bought a Tangerine sparkle SSB floor tom from a guy several years ago. He was a Gretsch factory rep and I met up with him at a local Guitar Center as he was there to make a sales call. As part of the deal he supplied me with two new "Gretsch" replacement Die Cast hoops for that drum as the originals were missing. They were new in Gibraltar bags but he assured me that they were the exact same DC hoops that Gretsch was using on their current USA drums. It made sense as at the time Gretsch and Gibraltar were both under the Kaman umbrella, plus I assumed that he was someone who would know. They did look correct.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '50 snare with DC hoops that were recently replaced with the same Gretsch DC hoops that I purchased.
My RBs are four hours away and I may not visit them for a few weeks. When i do, I’ll do some side-by-side photos.

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, because I'm going to keep the original hoops.... swap em back if I sell the drums.

ThomasL

Reaction score
New ones are a little lighter , a smidge less thick and not as tall.
It’s not talked about much. Which is a little surprising to me.
Yes, the height is quite obvious if you compare them side by side. The modern ones are very similar to other modern die cast hoops, for example, the Pearl one I had at hand when I compared them.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have old and new Gretsch dc hoops on kits here and, as stated, the new are slightly less tall and thick compared to the older.

Truth be told, the modern dc hoops that Gretsch uses may just be common generic dc hoops that many companies use. I ordered some Ludwig-branded dc hoops years ago and I BELIEVE they were the exact same thing.

Obviously, the original Gretsch hoops were their own design which they, themselves, made.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have old and new Gretsch dc hoops on kits here and, as stated, the new are slightly less tall and thick compared to the older.

Truth be told, the modern dc hoops that Gretsch uses may just be common generic dc hoops that many companies use. I ordered some Ludwig-branded dc hoops years ago and I BELIEVE they were the exact same thing.

Obviously, the original Gretsch hoops were their own design which they, themselves, made.
Time was when the DC hoops available from the companies that offered them (Gretsch, Premier, Ludwig, were there more?) were unique to that brand. It seems now that there are other aftermarket choices available but all the companies that offer them have more or less the same basic design, which most closely resembles Gretsch's original version.

Last edited:

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Newer Gretsch gold plated hoops do not use real gold plating as the originals did, but the new ones will wear much better than the originals, chrome and gold.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The new die cast hoops are not the same as the old ones made up through the 90s. The old ones were taller overall in profile and heavier in weight.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a reply from Paul Cooper...Production Manager at Gretsch in Ridgeland SC

"Up until 2001, all Gretsch die cast hoops were made in the USA using the original molds. The molds were in such bad shape that we made new ones in 2001 and started having them made overseas. The profile of the hoop is the same except the part of the hoop that covers the ring of the head is slightly taller"