Gretsch Dixieland Rehab

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I picked up this little 4104 figuring on a thorough cleaning at some point in the future. That cleaning finally was due yesterday. As I sat at home recovering from an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair (and am prohibited from lifting anything) I figured it was high time to LIFT something! LOL. Seriously, this is well within my limits.

Anyway, Dixieland snares are hardly coveted, but I have always had a soft spot for them in my heart, and as green is my favorite color this was a shoe-in for an addition away back when. I’d acquired a pair of hoops specifically for this drum as the originals are heavily pitted. A 16 strand ResoponsO wire set from the collection was pulled from the stash (the originals were shaped like a F1 circuit course) and some elbow grease in the form of complete disassembly, soak clean and polish were all that was required. Shines like new now. Happy I picked it up those years ago....

Attachments

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
What a gem! I dig the poolside color match, too. I think Gretsch did the best fade/spray on the DuCo's, which are least common in Gretsch in my world. Slingy's second, followed by Ludwig. Rogers was, if course, too perfect with the racing stripe approach, but I love 'em just the same.

Did Gretsch always have the double flanged hoop?

Best in your healing, too. Fiddling around with drums is a fine way to pass that time.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
@studrum
These drums had these hoops on them well back into the early 50s which is the early limit on my collection. The “stick chopper” die cast were used on pricier fare, but the lower line got these brass ones. I’m assuming they were used from the 1940s and earlier as well. I could consult my 1939 or 1941 catalog, but I can’t lift my Gretsch catalog collection right now as it weighs well in excess of 10lbs! LOL
I have three other Duco lacquer Dixieland and one “Renown” 8 lug (solid copper, green, blue and black respectively) and I have to say I love the Duco lacquered drums every bit as much as any pearl wrap ever applied

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play that strainer every day on my 8L renown

I'd consider / and keep an eye out for DC hoops and put that drum in Service (heavy service!) It's 6ply Right?

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd consider / and keep an eye out for DC hoops and put that drum in Service (heavy service!) It's 6ply Right?
I have probably 6 pairs of loose DC hoops. As this basically sits on a shelf I’ll leave as is, but definitely would use the DC to gig/play as these brass get overtorqued/bent regularly.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
seriously keep you in mind there not a thing wrong with a 6L Dixieland (never played one) but imagine it equally in its own way as good (maybe better/lower/texture/interesting) as the 8L. And the 8L is (to me supreme!

snarething 001.JPG

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
seriously keep you in mind there not a thing wrong with a 6L Dixieland (never played one) but imagine it equally in its own way as good (maybe better/lower/texture/interesting) as the 8L. And the 8L is (to me supreme!

View attachment 510524
Unless you swap the hoops to steel/DC you really can’t get a super taught head tension that most want these days. The brass flares outward and bends at the over tightened spots. If you swap on a Ludwig steel clip style hoop and use the Gretsch steel clips you can get some torque on them. 8 lugs helps. 10 lugs would be better IMO. Ludwig’s problem was the cast brass clips which fail, so both my 1920s Ludwigs have Gretsch clips on them right now (with the originals stowed!), and I can get plenty of satisfying sounds out of either. I checked and do not have any extra steel Ludwig hoops, but I did find 10 Gretsch 14” DC. They’re only 8 lug.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful job! I just got one in Tangerine sparkle, but without the 4 point strainer. Been looking for a while for one. They seem to be hard to find.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice..I love the colors!

As an aside, I need two 6 lug DC hoops and have two NOB Gretsch hoops with 12 clips. Please PM me if you are interested in a trade. Thanks!