Gretsch Dixieland Snares: How Do They Sound?

gkrk

Reaction score
Wondering what Gretsch Dixieland snares sound like. I see some have the double-flanged hoops with Gretsch's unique hoop clips and others have die cast hoops. Differences between these? Do they sound good? Do they feel good through the sticks to the hands?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can't imagine with the die cast hoop they'd feel much different (than the 8 lug version, Renown strainer I use) How ever the tone I can't imagine, but I imagine.. it'd be close (high pitched ping possible- just a little lower? not sure. I'd definitely (forget the clip version) and get the Die Cast hoop version. The money shot is in the hoop, the shell, if the pearl (or finish) is presentable, strainer complete and/or/ still functional, etc
My (all original) (1965) 8-lug renown is pretty much bulletproof for my needs little pearl lift but totally sold on the sound and response. Can't recall ever being in the same room with a 6L Dixieland version altho I see them on ebay and elsewhere various states of condition. Right price would definitely be worth a shot.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have 4 Dixies. Definitely different from an 8 lug Gretsch (I have, um....a lot more than 4 of those!) My best of the 3 is a 3 ply 50's in mahogany. Very thin shell and a great warm fat tone. All are similar but that one is a tad sweeter.
I use die casts on it. The 8 luggers can get a nice tight pop/crack but not the 6 luggers. Similar sound to Ludwig Pioneers and Slingy ones. I prefer the Dixie, with the Pioneer a very close 2nd, then the Slingy a distant 3rd.....

I do have two WMP RB Dixie shells sitting around that I would not mind selling.....PM if interested.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd have to make a sound file and can't do it tonite. If I recall right, my Dixie mahogany is 5.5" deep, too. I can try to do a sound file with a 6 ply Dixie and a Pioneer but likely tomorrow nite.

gkrk

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts and descriptions JDA and JazzDrumGuy. I've been thinking the Dixieland'd be similar to a Pioneer and maybe a Luxor, though the difference between the Pioneer and Luxor I have is pretty wide in terms of feel and tone. I'm not a die cast hoop user so my curiosity is more about the Dixieland with single flanged hoops. All armchair speculation at this point.