Gretsch experts

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have an opportunity to purchase a Gretsch set in Tony Williams Yellow. My question is, has anyone ever noticed a Rosewood colored primer underneath their Tony Williams Yellow drums? A couple of the drums have chips and dings in the yellow laquer, revealing, what appears to be, Rosewood underneath. Did Gretsch ever paint over existing finishes with another finish? The yellow laquer is beautiful, evenly applied, total factory in appearance, the grommets and badges are unmolested. So, I am totally scratching my head on this one. Anyway, any insight would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
bill maley(mlvbs) has a ssb set for sale in that color. you might wanna check with him on that...

mike

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
The kit I currently have is a TWY wrap. I did have a lacquer kit last year, but it was just maple underneath the paint. Though I haven't heard of Gretsch repainting already-stained drums, nothing would surprise me from that era. Are there signs of aging lacquer, like crazing, fade, etc?

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The kit I currently have is a TWY wrap. I did have a lacquer kit last year, but it was just maple underneath the paint. Though I haven't heard of Gretsch repainting already-stained drums, nothing would surprise me from that era. Are there signs of aging lacquer, like crazing, fade, etc?
Thank you for your response. No, the laquer is in very good shape, with just a minor fracture or two in the finish, outsie of the chips and dings that I mentioned. I took the heads off a couple of the other drums that didn't have any chips etc..and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of Rosewood underneath (I looked at the bearing edges). I am perplexed by this.

mellotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, you've been selling a ton of great stuff lately. Lovin the Rogers kit.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Since TWYL is an opaque color I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Gretsch would apply it over already stained drums that weren't moving.

mellotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, sorry didn't give my name. I bought the red kit.

Thanks,

Ray