Gretsch Factory Tours Now Open

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
From a nice little Paul Cooper interview on the Gretsch interweb address that just posted today.

"We are pretty liberal these days with tours, as long as somebody contacts us through the proper channels. Either through their Gretsch dealer or the salespeople at Gretsch Drums (DW), we'd be more than happy to give them a tour."

(Why do I keep picturing a hobbling, top-hatted man with a cane, somersaulting before opening his gate to me?)

https://www.gretsch.com/2019/03/a-gretsch-abroad-behind-the-brand-with-director-of-operations-paul-cooper/

Last edited:

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't we already determine the silver sealer to be an automotive product of some sort?

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought it was high temp silver radiator paint. Thats what I used to paint the insides of my drums.. And they look very Gretsch-y

sksmith-1

Reaction score
I've heard for years that it is aluminum fence paint, like for chain link fences.
Steve

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting -- I took a tour there in the Summer of 2015.
Paul was my host; the day I was there Gretsch had 13 people working.
They were all so nice and full of good information; all highly skilled.
They liked hearing about the 1977 shells I custom-ordered and I still gig with regularly.
About a week after I returned home from SC, I sent a big tray of cookies and chocolates to the entire crew.
Below is a photo of Paul and I looking over product ready to be packed and shipped out.....................

photo (62).JPG

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll definitely look into that if I'm ever in the area. I'd love to see where my USA Custom snare was born!

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it there was a chain link fence company next door to the Gretsch factory @ Brooklyn NYC
The thing that trips me out is that it was obviously used, like other manufacturers, to hide imperfections in the shell/wood. So, why would you use it today in your custom shop? Aluminum fence paint is not exactly the most reflective substance so unlike a fiberglass coating, it's not going to project the sound out and I doubt it has any negligible effect on the sound.

I get tradition, but....ok.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The paint is sourced from NASA and is the same paint used to coat rockets' surfaces where they are susceptible to high heat from friction.
SpaceX is currently developing a similar paint, but it is gold colored, to avoid patent infringement.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The thing that trips me out is that it was obviously used, like other manufacturers, to hide imperfections in the shell/wood. So, why would you use it today in your custom shop? Aluminum fence paint is not exactly the most reflective substance so unlike a fiberglass coating, it's not going to project the sound out and I doubt it has any negligible effect on the sound.

I get tradition, but....ok.
Very few things like this were done to vintage drums for sonic reasons. They did it to facilitate production in some way. Once something became part of the brand's "heritage" though, they don't dare change it...especially in the case of Gretsch whose marketing is largely based on their history. Silver fence paint? Oversized shells? 5 lug drums? well they've always been that way, better leave them alone.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
some on drum forums have mentioned rustoleum aluminum , others mentioned galvanized fence paint which is much more vague.
ive sometimes thought of picking up some beat up orphans, and finishing the outside of the shells with that finish .

a few years back gretsch drums was actually doing something similar with a run of limited edition snare drums.
they would put the outter finish inside the shell, and the inner finish outside. talk about going outside the box.

https://reverb.com/item/188695-gretsch-14-x5-usa-custom-shop-inside-out-snare-deep-black-marine-pearl

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's to protect from moisture maybe? Can we continue On with the tour?
Paul to front employee: " We got a group here that won't leave the paint booth.. won't stop giggling...can we get security on the phone? ...'"
Was Ludwig's white paint any better or worse ? Or Roger's flat grey? Or?...

"Also we got one nut from Pa. who wants to see where the Old K's are stored. ... he's also looking for where the gunmetal Broadkaster hoops are stored".

Last edited:

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rogers fruitwood stain or Slingerland milk chocolate.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Actually sure you recall- Creme City Wisconsin bought all old stock (completed, unsold) Gunmetal Broadkaster -stock. (It was all-sitting on the shelves- in the Vineyard) And then, sold everything on Ebay. There were 18" bass drums (complete-spurs(gullwing) , tom mount bracket..) Small and large Toms- most all size and floors all.. no bracket...

Yea that's who I - got my set from. Creme City bought them, (They) turned around and went home- and the drums shipped --straight from Gretsch. So I don't think there's any left! ( --Don't forget himonry- who took all the defective/iffy/ stuff)
BKmarch 001.JPG

yesterday pic; 10x12 not in picture)
I'm asked why "you got power toms?"..answer: "That was all he had!"
I still love em. The 14x18 bass drum, ..all of them.

Bought them 8/28/2010
Had to been approx. 4 years old , Or more; sat in vineyard.
Never sold. (till then..)
(SWR) Built like "brick _house"
perfect.

I was "lucky" to get the 12. It disappeared off ebay but- guy never paid. When I found that out speaking to Creme on the phone, I scooped it. everything matches perfect amazing.

Someday I'll get some hi end guitar cleaner and go over the satin rosewood . maybe.

(And my favorite snare. 1948 no.490 Supreme Concert WFL- tweaked by the Drum Doctors (You wouldn't believe what they did to it) All screws replaced with Allen screws (and I mean every screw, lugs, throw, butt..) Rubber stopper on throw off, bearing edges perfected....That drum sat on eBay- it was a steal..

(I own two...)

Last edited: