header.nohb.html

Gretsch Finish Checking

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This could very well be someone’s kit on here . I seen it online and saved it . This is what I’m after but with a very high Gloss polish . And yes you win , you turned my thinking around when it comes to clear hoops . Have to order some and put my restored 22” hoops up for sale .

Attachments

• 109A5AAF-1C75-4F8F-99F8-4FE69ED2F7E8.jpeg
    109A5AAF-1C75-4F8F-99F8-4FE69ED2F7E8.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Wow
Reactions: JDA

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe it’s because this drum is older and maybe because it’s older Yamaha and they’re known for their finishes but look at this yellow lacquer tom. It was made in 1988 it looks brand new.
E5D090FE-47EC-48E3-BD62-A06D64A80016.jpeg
87D6FFAC-75F5-43BC-83D4-17A6937B1303.jpeg

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
this isn't a competion Ryan; and from 10ft that looks like a Gretsch copy lug..)

and why did you have to bring that up :D
Well I just brought it up because I’m pointing out once again what a lot of us know is that some things were made better back in the day. And my friend just ordered a brand new yellow Gretsch drum set and I’m a little worried that he’s putting down tons of money and the finish maybe not be of great quality. And I’ve seen a lot of Gretsch Drums that are older with tons of damage to the lacquer. And also I’m a little proud that I found a drum in such a good condition and I wanted to just show it to everyone :)

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
this isn't a competion Ryan; and from 10ft that looks like a Gretsch copy lug..)

and why did you have to bring that up :D
Hahahahahaha . Figured I’d go all the way . Grain raising is always a issue if your looking for whatever your doing to look uniform and nice . Must take it into account when you’re doing this kind of stuff . Reading labels is important ….. know the products .

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I just brought it up because I’m pointing out once again what a lot of us know is that some things were made better back in the day. And my friend just ordered a brand new yellow Gretsch drum set and I’m a little worried that he’s putting down tons of money and the finish maybe not be of great quality. And I’ve seen a lot of Gretsch Drums that are older with tons of damage to the lacquer. And also I’m a little proud that I found a drum in such a good condition and I wanted to just show it to everyone :)
Tell him not to play them in the snow and then bring them into a 70 degree house and he’ll be fine .

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ordered and received my Gretsch USA Custom (SSB/Jasper/Arkansas) shells in 1977....45 years ago this August.
20 years ago, I called Gretsch in SC and asked about refinishing because the gloss-lacquer coat had cracked (spider-webbed).
They gave me the phone number of the finishing shop at the old Fork's Drum Closet in Nashville...Gretsch does no restorative services and explained to me that Fork's was the best........they refer questions accordingly.

I explained the problem to the finishing shop and their advice to me was to NEVER TOUCH THEM.
This advice was based on resale value, even though I've never had any intention of selling.
BTW, I still gig regularly with these outstanding drums.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This orphan 61’ 6 ply 4157 is going to be my Guinea Pig first .

Attachments

• 17D41313-D911-416E-B9E2-0F5CF89D5FC4.jpeg
    17D41313-D911-416E-B9E2-0F5CF89D5FC4.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 989EE468-52C8-4009-ACE0-822F44A2BD5F.jpeg
    989EE468-52C8-4009-ACE0-822F44A2BD5F.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 10

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe it’s because this drum is older and maybe because it’s older Yamaha and they’re known for their finishes but look at this yellow lacquer tom. It was made in 1988 it looks brand new. View attachment 569304 View attachment 569305
Was yamaha using true nitro cellulose lacquer on drums in the 80’s? I would expect they were using enamel which doesn’t age the same way as true lacquer

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no idea
Finish checking in true lacquer isn’t a quality control issue. Its the nature of the finish. Thats why its been supplanted in most uses by catalyzed enamels that can handle temperature swings without issue, but lacquer does offer a gorgeous finish. At this point its rarely seen except for some high end furniture and musical instruments. The way lacquer ages is particularly prized by guitarists which is probably why the guitar company still uses it on their drums. Luckily, the piano company also makes motorcycles and probably used the practical choice.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Finish checking in true lacquer isn’t a quality control issue. Its the nature of the finish. Thats why its been supplanted in most uses by catalyzed enamels that can handle temperature swings without issue, but lacquer does offer a gorgeous finish. At this point its rarely seen except for some high end furniture and musical instruments. The way lacquer ages is particularly prized by guitarists which is probably why the guitar company still uses it on their drums. Luckily, the piano company also makes motorcycles and probably used the practical choice.
Yeah when I bought this drum the guy said that the yellow had darkened because of age. Which is probably a good thing? Also, I heard people say that Yamaha already had good experience with doing finishes especially painting drums black because of their piano making.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah when I bought this drum the guy said that the yellow had darkened because of age. Which is probably a good thing? Also, I heard people say that Yamaha already had good experience with doing finishes especially painting drums black because of their piano making.
Yeah I’m not knocking yamaha or gretsch here. Yamaha pianos are very nicely finished. As are their drums. More just pointing out that this isn’t an issue where Gretsch is doing a bad job, just another Gretsch idiosyncrasy where they still do something “the way they always have.” Its nice to live in a world with options

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have owned 8 Gretsch kits - three of which are lacquer (two gloss and one satin) and never had any issues with the finish checking . My first pro kit was a natural maple gloss lacquer and I owns that kit for 22 years and it looked like the day I bought it when I sold it .