Gretsch finishes

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like some of the new ones like Satin Caribbean Blue and some of the old ones Like Caribbean Blue and TW Yellow.
Think Cadillac green and Satin Cadillac Green eh I don't think so..looks like Army surplus.. So. there's that.
Funny (an old finish like) my satin rosewood is still on the featured gallery sets (they know me...

looks better with gunmetal ; ) than chrome

But they do need a new photoshoot for their Gallery
or they haven't added all the new finishes to the Gallery they could of. I'll wait for the phone to ring so they can get my recommendations.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that looks like the bank-robbers favorite. "copper mist".

Hwy61

Reaction score
I am getting ready to order a usa custom kit. I know my sizes BUT I find it almost impossible to judge the lacquer finishes based on the crappy image patches on their website. I have been reduced to web searches to find pictures of Gretsch drums in particular colors. Anyone know if there are better examples of Gretsch colors other than the website? I had the same problem years ago when ordering from Ludwig but at least I was familiar with Lud finishes.
I have the same problem. Some image patches are atrocious. Otherwise, I believe that the lighting used effects the color in the photographs. It seems to me that if yellow light was used then this brings out the yellow in the wood or stain. So, a blue stain may look greener. If white light is used then the colors appear darker, more sharp or stark. While it’s possible “ color correct “ lighting could have been used ( but, unlikely I think such as at a store for example ). Also, website photos with white backgrounds don’t allow one to see what the set would look like in normal surroundings with other furnishings. I think a photographer, being a creative / artistic person, will shoot the photo highlighting the best part or piece of the set for the set to appear in the best possible way. Such as sometimes you can’t see what the side of the bass drum looks like.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Some image patches are atrocious. Otherwise, I believe that the lighting used effects the color in the photographs. It seems to me that if yellow light was used then this brings out the yellow in the wood or stain. So, a blue stain may look greener. If white light is used then the colors appear darker, more sharp or stark. While it’s possible “ color correct “ lighting could have been used ( but, unlikely I think such as at a store for example ). Also, website photos with white backgrounds don’t allow one to see what the set would look like in normal surroundings with other furnishings. I think a photographer, being a creative / artistic person, will shoot the photo highlighting the best part or piece of the set for the set to appear in the best possible way. Such as sometimes you can’t see what the side of the bass drum looks like.
Yeah frustrating. I double checked the mystic blue high gloss and I liked it on the small "sample" but when I found a real nice high res image of a bd with that finish it was more purple grape-ish to my eyes so I am glad I ordered the Millennuim Maple. I would be helpful for Gretsch to take a high res photo of each finish on a drum and post it. They have a number of nice photos already in their factory gallery, just freaking add to it. Would make this process less aggravating.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah frustrating. I double checked the mystic blue high gloss and I liked it on the small "sample" but when I found a real nice high res image of a bd with that finish it was more purple grape-ish to my eyes so I am glad I ordered the Millennuim Maple. I would be helpful for Gretsch to take a high res photo of each finish on a drum and post it. They have a number of nice photos already in their factory gallery, just freaking add to it. Would make this process less aggravating.
Nice choice!

Reactions: MBB

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, real happy with my order but not the 7 month wait........ugh.
I know some guys that work there. They work hard and take the finishes very seriously. They're really good drummers too!

Butch1970

Reaction score
I think the OP made a solid choice with Millennium Maple. “Classic” color, for sure.

Lighting can definitely change the way a color looks with painted finishes, at least with the Rosewood lacquer on my USA Customs.