Gretsch kit - is this any good?

bfulton

Reaction score
I spotted this kit on ebay. It might be a good deal. And it might be perfect for a sucker like me.
Ideas?

bfulton

Reaction score
Obviously rough and beat. But it may be a way to find a fine drum kit at a low-ish price.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure man. You'd probably never be able to sell them again, haha. They're cool, but I'd probably want to play them first. They would have to sound like magic to take a risk on that set of drums.

bfulton

Reaction score
Right. And since they’re in Georgia, it’s the proverbial ‘pig in a poke.’

bfulton

Reaction score
Well, now that we’re talking about it, I’m thinking that no matter the price I’d end up with even more stuff in the drum room.
It might be wise to save $ for a day when a decent player kit shows up for less than a grand.

With shipping, three would turn to four, probably. Still thinking about it, but back burner....

bfulton

Reaction score
Hang onto the 300, sell hardware, cymbals.... before too long (okay, it’d be pretty long) enough saved. Of course, I’m really lousy at saving.
I’m glad I asked around here. There are an awful lot of question marks with this.
Still .... That Great Gretsch Sound .....?

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The seller, I don't know him, but know about him, lives nearby. He is a local and well traveled drummer and has been collecting old drums, restoring some, and selling them. He buys too, if anyone is interested in selling gear.
He is legit, but never have done business with him. He also runs a thriving drum school in Atlanta area.

bfulton

Reaction score
I dunno ... the bass drum has the same badge. The small tom’s a mystery.
It’s hard to say why this kit engages me. Right now I have a Yamaha SC bop. I like it, and it sounds great - it’s fine for the few gigs I do.
A case of ‘oooo something shiny!’ Seems likely. But I would like to know how it sounds.
PM to Gcort 49.....

bfulton

Reaction score
I'm starting to think so too. it's possible that I may make an offer, but it would be low. And, 95 to ship is way high.
It still yanks my chain but it's getting much cooler.
This forum is very helpful.

bfulton

Reaction score
I’m still looking at this, only because I’m guessing that it’s a USA Custom. I’d never be able to afford in really good condition.
Something just struck me, though. The badge is 1970’s style, but the tom mount brackets are more recent.
Ah, hell. I’ll save up for ..... ?
(I have no trouble filling in that blank!)

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
The thing that really tears it for me is all those extra holes in the bass. Why was it necessary to change the lugs?

And the tom mount is mounted on top of the badge?

Could these drums be rewrapped, or would the heads not fit?

Last edited:

bfulton

Reaction score
I think they could be re-wrapped. I am puzzled more by the floor tom leg brackets, and the one on the twelve. Does their era match the stop sign badge?
The mount on top of the badge is odd. But not more so than replacing the lugs.

Latest posts