Gretsch & Ludwig custom order experiences?

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I’m seeing that correctly from the pics, it seems that you could cure the problem by rotating the hoops so that the top of the rods are directly over the lugs. Am I missing something?
First of all, if the problem was just a hoop installed at an angle, how would the hoop stay in that position when you start tightening the tuning rods, and the tension would start pulling the hoop closer? C'mon...

One or several lugs are installed bit skewed, that's what it looks like.

thestorysold

Reaction score
Your drums look like the rods are angled laterally (sideways), rather than away from the drum. If I’m seeing that correctly from the pics, it seems that you could cure the problem by rotating the hoops so that the top of the rods are directly over the lugs. Am I missing something?
if I align one hoop hole with the lug then the next one is a little off, then the next one is more off, and so on. I think there's something wrong with their measurements where the holes are not drilled correctly.

thestorysold

Reaction score
also, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. just making you aware of an issue you may encounter if you go with the Broadkaster and get the snare as well. the rest of the kit is great, however.

the rep. I have been dealing with said he forwarded my email with pictures along to several people within the company, so we'll see if any changes come from it. I would think it should be as simple as just checking whatever machinery they are using to drill their holes to ensure they are all accurate.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I can't speak for new Gretsch though they sure do look nice from what I have seen. My last brand new set was a classic maple that I custom ordered from DCP back in January 2012. It seems like it took longer than what I was reading about here as it finally landed in June of that year. I have used that set on over 300 gigs and it looks and sounds incredible. It's been one of the best sets I have ever owned. Mine is in champagne sparkle BTW.

BASS DRUM.jpg

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if I align one hoop hole with the lug then the next one is a little off, then the next one is more off, and so on. I think there's something wrong with their measurements where the holes are not drilled correctly.
Ok. Wow! Then it seems the lugs aren’t spaced correctly. Very disappointing on a high end custom drum.

PS: Looking at the pics again, the lugs also look like they are slightly cockeyed. Or, it could just be illusion from the camera angle.

jaymandude

Reaction score
This seems like a possibility from the quotes I receive. Some say 1-2 months, some say 5-6 months. It’s hard to decipher dealer wishful thinking from reality - and I too wonder if certain dealers have a fast track process.
do you mind saying who is quoting 1-2 months ?

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Incredible. I would think that even the most basic of quality control would catch something like that before it leaves the factory. It's really unbelievable.
And it’s the exact same issue, with the same customer, twice in a row!

marc3k

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue. I did send the snare back to the dealer, and they found it was within the tolerances. I contacted Gretsch to let them know that there's room for improvement. The dealer told me that replacing the snare only makes sense if they had a better one, which did not seem to be the case... since I can still tune it and it's not so critical, I decided to keep my original snare which came with the kit. The rest of the kit is awesome, I cannot complain!

thestorysold

Reaction score
PS: Looking at the pics again, the lugs also look like they are slightly cockeyed. Or, it could just be illusion from the camera angle.
I haven't measured, but to my eye they look a bit crooked as well.

I posted this on a Gretsch FB group to see if others had this issue and there's someone who was sent 4 snares because of this issue. 4! and the last one still had the issue.

jb111

Reaction score
Custom-ordered my Gretsch USA Custom in February, received it in July. I expected 4 months or so, and I didn't care at all how long it took since Covid came on the scene. I am really happy with mine. I worked with a dealer that has my back and would advocate if there were any issues. The kit shipped to his shop and he fully inspected it before shipping to me. He also gave me a solid deal on the order.

If you work with someone you like doing business with I'd feel confident in a custom order if you know they have your back. Just don't be impatient as it may take some time.

Happy to answer any specific Gretsch order questions you might have.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue. I did send the snare back to the dealer, and they found it was within the tolerances. I contacted Gretsch to let them know that there's room for improvement. The dealer told me that replacing the snare only makes sense if they had a better one, which did not seem to be the case... since I can still tune it and it's not so critical, I decided to keep my original snare which came with the kit. The rest of the kit is awesome, I cannot complain!
Was this before or after the DW buyout?

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't measured, but to my eye they look a bit crooked as well.

I posted this on a Gretsch FB group to see if others had this issue and there's someone who was sent 4 snares because of this issue. 4! and the last one still had the issue.
After 137 years, you would think that Gretsch would have this ironed out!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I ordered a large Ludwig Legacy Maple kit (6 drums in WMP plus a Black Beauty snare) through Pro Drum Shop (Hollywood) at the beginning of June, 2013. I was quoted 3 months and the Legacy Maple drums arrived in exactly 3 months, the first week of September. (The snare took an extra 3 weeks.) Everything about the drums was absolutely 100% perfect — the best-quality and best-sounding drumset I've ever played. If I could afford another drumset I'd order a Ludwig Legacy Mahogany kit through Pro Drum Shop without hesitation.

kevin klever

Reaction score
I work at a drum shop and we sell a LOT of Ludwig. The new ludwig stuff that comes through is absolutely immaculate. Perfect in every way with tons of attention to detail, precision shells, beautiful finishes. A few legacy mahogany downbeat sets that we got in as custom orders for people completely floored me, like among the nicest drums i can imagine.

I am a Gretsch guy 100%, have been for a good 15 years and always will be, but the new Gretsch USA stuff, to me, doesn't have the same mark of quality that the Luddy stuff does. Some of the finishes seem cheap, the lugs feel kinda cheap. Definitely still excellent drums, among the best you can get, but I'll take a RB or SSB set over a new USA Custom any day. If I could choose between a mint condition 60s downbeat and a brand new one, it would be very hard to choose.

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. This is enforcing my view long held view - and JDAs approach - to buy what’s available. That will most likely scratch Legacy’s off the list, but still plenty of other options.

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
anyone done business with this dealer? I don’t know anything about them? Perfect eBay feedback, but their listing style (basically list every Ludwig kit configuration, with stock photos, and various different delivery dates from now to end of December) makes me suspicious.

Latest posts