header.nohb.html

Gretsch Micro Kit : Thoughts ?

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
and the Sonor AQ2’s .I’ll tell ya w I really like the Sonor’s , the hardware is nice , finish in the transparent black stain , and the 7 mill. shells .

7.2 mm on the kick.. 5.8 on the toms... These drums are made by KHS who is as capable as any top level drum company... Mapex drums are made in the same factory.

I have a feeling you are going to keep these as it is hard to find negative reviews of them... Mostly rants and raves.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
7.2 mm on the kick.. 5.8 on the toms... These drums are made by KHS who is as capable as any top level drum company... Mapex drums are made in the same factory.

I have a feeling you are going to keep these as it is hard to find negative reviews of them... Mostly rants and raves.
My eyes are still watering from all the info I read online . I agree . I don’t go into anything blindly . Your right , I was hard pressed to find anything negative on them . I’ll get the low down from the factory , I’m going to be in Germany at the end of the summer visiting my Son who lives in Berlin and I’m going to schedule a factory tour this week and take a few days to see that part of Germany .

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My eyes are still watering from all the info I read online . I agree . I don’t go into anything blindly . Your right , I was hard pressed to find anything negative on them . I’ll get the low down from the factory , I’m going to be in Germany at the end of the summer visiting my Son who lives in Berlin and I’m going to schedule a factory tour this week and take a few days to see that part of Germany .

Wow.. Very Cool

Here in this below link is what you can expect to see.. probably the best montage of the factory visit there in Germany.. At the BOTTOM of each page you will see the "NEXT" link to move through all 8 Pages : http://www.sonormuseum.com/germany/germany.html

stick2it

Reaction score
DBT -- I think you will be pleased with the build quality and sound of the AQ2 Safari. I have the precursor: the Sonor Jungle kit. But you will need to change-out the cheap stock heads. I have single-ply, texture-coated heads for batter and reso to make the little toms and bass drum sound warm and full. If you intend to play rock/pop/funk/soul/folk/electronica on this little kit, then you're set (but might need some mics); if you intend to play jazz on this kit, I found the deep 16" bass drum was not adequately responsive and a bit mismatched for the music; given this, I almost unloaded the kit until I had the idea of having Precision Drum Co. cut down the bass drum's depth. The bearing edge cut by Precision was far better than Sonor's, and I'm super-pleased with the result. Given the significant cost savings between the Brooklyn Micro and the Sonor Safari, paying for new heads and cutting the bass drum's depth down is a great investment. One other suggestion: de-tune one lug on the little tom so that it doesn't sound so "pitchy" and make sure you have a singly-ply coated head, not clear head, on the reso. Took me a long time to figure that out -- I thought that little tom was awful until I discovered these two tips. (FYI: Here's the thread on cutting down my Sonor bass drum including photos before/after and a link to what it sounds like now: My 16x16 bass drum: should I cut its depth to 14-5/8" or 11-5/8"?.)

At the end of the day, to my ear and playing style, a micro kit -- Sonor AQ2, Brooklyn, and even the far-better British Drum Imp and Canopus RFM Club Kit -- can't compare to a standard bop kit (18/14/12). Whenever I can, I gig and record with a Canopus bop kit. Sounds fantastic and really isn't much bigger or heavier than a micro. But admitedly, I always have fun with my little Sonor kit with the cut-down 16" bass drum whenever I bring it out, and it's as portable as it gets without sacrificing everything!

Reactions: DBT

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DBT -- I think you will be pleased with the build quality and sound of the AQ2 Safari. I have the precursor: the Sonor Jungle kit.

I've heard those older poplar wood jungle models.. they are ok but I would not put them in the same caterogy as the AQ2 .. different animal IMO.
There is an owner over on Drummerworld who had both kits and gave a review of them next to each other with similar comments.

stick2it

Reaction score
Rhyma Hop -- sorry for not making it more clear: my Sonor "Jungle" with the cut-down bass drum (considered in my posting above) is the maple shell "Select Force" Sonor kit which has the same 7-ply alternativing N. American and Chineese shell construction as the AQ2. I was not speaking of the poplar Sonor which, I agree, is something else.

I have a Sonor AQ2 Bop as well as the Select Force Jungle. While the AQ2 and the Select Force shells are practically identical in build, I would say that the quality of my "Select Force" kit is superior to my AQ2: for one, the lugs of the Select Force are far better, and secondly, the clear coat maple along with the other "Select Force" maple finishes are far more lux than the AQ2 offerings.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rhyma Hop -- sorry for not making it more clear: my Sonor "Jungle" with the cut-down bass drum (considered in my posting above) is the maple shell "Select Force" Sonor kit which has the same 7-ply alternativing N. American and Chineese shell construction as the AQ2. I was not speaking of the poplar Sonor which, I agree, is something else.

I have a Sonor AQ2 Bop as well as the Select Force Jungle. While the AQ2 and the Select Force shells are practically identical in build, I would say that the quality of my "Select Force" kit is superior to my AQ2: for one, the lugs of the Select Force are far better, and secondly, the clear coat maple along with the other "Select Force" maple finishes are far more lux than the AQ2 offerings.

Got it .. thought you were referring to that poplar shell which I am very familiar with.. sorry about that stick2it !

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DBT -- I think you will be pleased with the build quality and sound of the AQ2 Safari. I have the precursor: the Sonor Jungle kit. But you will need to change-out the cheap stock heads. I have single-ply, texture-coated heads for batter and reso to make the little toms and bass drum sound warm and full. If you intend to play rock/pop/funk/soul/folk/electronica on this little kit, then you're set (but might need some mics); if you intend to play jazz on this kit, I found the deep 16" bass drum was not adequately responsive and a bit mismatched for the music; given this, I almost unloaded the kit until I had the idea of having Precision Drum Co. cut down the bass drum's depth. The bearing edge cut by Precision was far better than Sonor's, and I'm super-pleased with the result. Given the significant cost savings between the Brooklyn Micro and the Sonor Safari, paying for new heads and cutting the bass drum's depth down is a great investment. One other suggestion: de-tune one lug on the little tom so that it doesn't sound so "pitchy" and make sure you have a singly-ply coated head, not clear head, on the reso. Took me a long time to figure that out -- I thought that little tom was awful until I discovered these two tips. (FYI: Here's the thread on cutting down my Sonor bass drum including photos before/after and a link to what it sounds like now: My 16x16 bass drum: should I cut its depth to 14-5/8" or 11-5/8"?.)

At the end of the day, to my ear and playing style, a micro kit -- Sonor AQ2, Brooklyn, and even the far-better British Drum Imp and Canopus RFM Club Kit -- can't compare to a standard bop kit (18/14/12). Whenever I can, I gig and record with a Canopus bop kit. Sounds fantastic and really isn't much bigger or heavier than a micro. But admitedly, I always have fun with my little Sonor kit with the cut-down 16" bass drum whenever I bring it out, and it's as portable as it gets without sacrificing everything!
This is great thanks ! I have to get up to Precision to drop off my RB shells that’s why I mentioned the bearing edges if they need to be recut . I’m planning on changing the batter heads so going a little further is worth it . This kit is going to be solely for acoustic / electric acoustic gigs . I learned Jazz from a early age which is probably why I don’t play Jazz but that never stops me from seeking out a good Club when I’m traveling . I think this will be good for what I’m needing . At the beginning of this tread it was mentioned to look in the Sonor which sent me into another direction . I’ve been thinking of something different for years but I always stop short at Gretsch . It’s a good time to experiment . Lots of good info and perspective from everyone . Thanks to everyone commenting .

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
do love it in wmp, much nicer than the original satin grey only.

gretsch wmp mini kit.jpg

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
do love it in wmp, much nicer than the original satin grey only.

View attachment 562401
I have a feeling I’m going to be buying a second kit once my little hang around sees mine . If my suspicions are right it will be in the WMP . Good price at $699. Apparently it’s a true Delmar Wrap , the Sonor’s that is . Other wise he gets mine and I go top shelf . I think these are going to work though .

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Originally got the Sonor AQX jungle kit for my jazz gig, but decided to take it out and try it with a classic rock band. Audix D6 on the kick and Sennheiser e604s on the toms just in case. Coupled it with a cheapo Tama 4x12 metal snare and everybody raved about it.

2022-05-04-DewyLoman003.JPG

2022-05-04-DewyLoman009.JPG

2022-05-04-DewyLoman011.JPG

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Originally got the Sonor AQX jungle kit for my jazz gig, but decided to take it out and try it with a classic rock band. Audix D6 on the kick and Sennheiser e604s on the toms just in case. Coupled it with a cheapo Tama 4x12 metal snare and everybody raved about it.

View attachment 563676

View attachment 563677

View attachment 563678
Nice ! I love the blue , looks fantastic . My AQ2’s are out for delivery and I’m looking forward to a fun night of seeing what they got .

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been really intrigued with the Gretsch micros ever since I watched that Mark G-spelling? video of the kit tunes low....

Walked in to Forks before bus call last week and they had one in black marine pearl....couldn't resist....won't be able to tweak it until I get back home next week....

I'll post some pics, really excited!

cheers and blessings, Trey

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been really intrigued with the Gretsch micros ever since I watched that Mark G-spelling? video of the kit tunes low....

Walked in to Forks before bus call last week and they had one in black marine pearl....couldn't resist....won't be able to tweak it until I get back home next week....

I'll post some pics, really excited!

cheers and blessings, Trey
Didn’t know BMP was an option ..
Sweet !!!!

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
While I can well understand the strategy (e.g., "How do we get someone who already owns a drum kit to buy another drum kit? Make it smaller!"), before anyone buys a "micro" or a "bop" kit simply because they want to "save space", consider that the average one-up, one-down four-piece with two cymbal stands, a HH, and a throne requires a roughly five by four foot footprint. Apart from the number of drums and cymbals, the greatest determining factor in how much room a drum kit takes up is the physical size of the player. If you are an average size adult who plays a 22/13/16 you are not likely going to experience any appreciable space savings with a 16/10/13 kit. However, if you use public transportation/Uber/Lyft to get to the gig or own a very small car, micro kits can be advantageous.