header.nohb.html

Gretsch "Monster Mount" retrofit

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to doing something about the unsightly W & A mount on my '70's Gretsch 12x8" tom. After (1) trying to actually use it, and (2) using a RIMS mount, and (3) replacing one of the tension lugs with the swell INDe BR-3 combi-mount ....... I got sick of staring at the "blind eyeball" that was the original mount.

I removed the BR-3 (I've got plenty of other uses for these!) and installed another INDe product: the BR-2XL ...... right on top of the circular Gretsch plate that is the outer part of the Monster Mount. I used stiff adhesive backed felt to make a shaped plug to fill the gaping void in the shell (I'll get around to slopping some "silver sealer" on it ...... some day!). For now, it doesn't look too bad even through the clear bottom head; and I think the very solid installation looks fine from the outside .....

See pix:

:
3A6D1B60-1299-4C9D-A2FB-A35D220B3324.jpeg

1879DAA2-C236-4C0D-815E-2FD280D44900.jpeg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
You're a better man than I. I sold my 3 with that huge hole and and replaced them with intact shells from the Gretsch Vineyard about 1999 or so.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Better? I doubt it ..... !

But that tom has always sounded so good to me, even when I first got it .... complete with triple-flange hoops and that ugly MM. So I kept using it ......... after finding a couple of funky cast hoops on eBay.

I forgot two other dodges I resorted to: (1) a period when I put the drum on a snare stand, and (2) the time I machined a whole new mounting lug which attached (like the INDe) to the circular Gretsch mount plate. That was a LOT of work ..... it functioned pretty well, but was a rigid mount with no suspension.

I don't personally think that the "huge hole" in the otherwise excellent Jasper shell has any effect on the sound.

Mike

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great idea there. Randy Rainwater did something similar a few years back on a tom he had. Same concept but he used a Gretsch bracket. I like using the INDe mount better. I have a couple of Gretsch concert toms with those mounts, I might have to give this a try.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I recently stumbled upon that idea of using the Gretsch Techware mount. I have a few of these lying around; seemed to me that the spacing of the mounting screws was just a wee bit off ..... also, the screws are much smaller in diameter (#8?), although that might facilitate squeezing the Techware mount into the larger hole spacing on the MM. I ended up using 1/4 - 20 X 1" carriage bolts with the INDe BR2XL; the 6mm bolts provided were too short to take advantage of the nylock nuts. All in all, a more solid and satisfying solution IMO. Plus the isolation feature of the INDe design ......

M.