Gretsch Moonglow Satin Flame

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I saw this set listed on CL Boston a few days ago and it was listed for $800! I love satin flame wraps and this set was super cool with a 14x22,8x12,14x14,16x16. It was missing some parts but had no extra holes and I was thinking this would clean up really nice. Unfortunately it was way down in the middle of Cape Cod, which is a good 3.5 hours away from me. I knew it wouldn't last long either but was pretty surprised it lasted the two days I saw it. Did anyone here get these? I'll bet that 14x14 in Moon Glow is super rare! I really hope these were a salvageable set. I'm hoping nobody has to tear off the wrap or anything like that. Anyway this set really got my juices flowing the other day. I wasn't about to drive that far though as that would have been a major haul for me and I'm sure my wife would have thought I was crazy. Especially because I would have been inclined to keep them! Lol

I did save a few pics though.

00000_31wHOjS0pD0z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00e0e_5BqFHhAxrh1z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00h0h_jbvyvAoXE4uz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00V0V_biD30H2V57Lz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not see it...nor get it.
I'd be happy to pick up something for you in my neck of the woods if something comes up again.

that is an awesome wrap

dtk

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for saving those pics Kurt.

I saw them yesterday morning but was 12-18 hrs late. Someone had already gotten them. Seller told me the 2 of them tried goo gone during pickup and the leftover glue
from having used contact paper over the flame wrap came off easily. I'd have tried the same thing.

It was a 165 mile drive to mid-Cape Cod for me and since I had already had a nearly identical '68 kit in Aqua Satin Flame I was not too enthused about going for them. But I would have had they still been available. I'm sure
I could have found a number of people I know who would have loved to get them. I figure they were worth $1500 or so. This is only the 2nd time in 2 yrs I've seen a kit like this pop up in New England.
And I'd bet a lot of them don't get advertised and immediately get sold off to the regional vintage drum shops.

Missing bottom Gretsch hoops on floor toms (had Ludwigs), and the extra hole per leg mount of the 14x14. All the floor tom legs were incorrect and that would have been another $200 or so to get them.
Bass drum had an extra rail mount hole from it being moved higher up in its life. Also missing the BD Pratt muffler assembly. Despite about $300 in incorrect parts and 4 extra holes.....it looked like a decent kit.
For $800 you just couldn't go wrong. The 2 floor toms were worth way more than that. The 14x14 was probably $500-$600 as is...and $1000+ if it were clean. If those bottom Gretsch hoops were off for
years you could expect some rough bottom edges on those floor toms.

I wouldn't call moon glow rare but it is hard to come by for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Super-cool color, I'd have been on that like stink on a monkey. My first good kit was an early SSB Gretsch 13/16/20 that had some kind of grubby craft-store wrap. When it came off there were enough flakes left to see it had been Moonglow.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Yeah I just love the satin flames. It works well on Gretsch and Slingerland sets. I'm kind of glad Ludwig didn't use them (except for the Standard sets). My dream bop set would be a Gretsch in one of the satin flames. This looked to me to have the potential to be a very cool set and of course I love rails. Hopefully someone is giving them a good home and a nice restoration. I feel like nobody makes satin flames like this anymore.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I feel like nobody makes satin flames like this anymore.

True that. From what I've read, the process to make those wraps is very environmentally unfriendly today. So they have to use a different process with different wraps today to come up with an inferior looking product.
The old satin flames were the the thinnest of all the wraps....hence a better tone. About the thickness of a business card and very fragile. Off the drum they are very brittle and will crack and fissure easily if aged.

There are NO satin flame wraps today that look like the old ones. And NOS stocks are essentially gone. Today's so-called SF wraps are cartoonish with lots of "angles" and lines. The only true satin flames "flow" like a meandering river.....interspersed with glow dots and other assymetric topological patterns that the new wraps just don't have.

IMG_3719.JPG

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.5 hour drive - no brainer for that kit and price! Unfortunately, it's a tad farther for me......

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
3.5 hour drive - no brainer for that kit and price! Unfortunately, it's a tad farther for me......

For me it would have been:

1) Convince wife that I need this
2) Remind wife that I told her it was a 3.5 hour drive when I am getting ready to go.
3) Explain to wife how cool and rare this set is even though she thinks it's more ugly than my Mod Orange drums once I haul them into the house.
4) Make 3.5 hour drive through Boston Traffic heading down from NH
5) Hope that the guy didn't sell while I was on my drive (even though I would have called to tell him I was about to make a 3.5 hour drive).
6) Fight the traffic home

Seriously though, my wife is great about my drums but this one would have probably left her scratching her head. They would have easily fallen into the too cool to sell category for me so I would most likely be trying to decide if I had something else I might want to sell to justify keeping these (which at this point I really don't). had these been maybe an hour away or less, you can bet I would have been all over these!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
little brighter snappier view in another instance/ view.

qo0mmugpmrcksto2mp0s.jpg

Moonglow. I'm starting to see /why how/ it was named.
Pretty (no pun) imaginative concoct of "color".. complex.
it's silver...it's white.. it's yellow..it's dark..it's bright like Moonlight

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
little brighter snappier view in another instance/ view.

qo0mmugpmrcksto2mp0s.jpg

Moonglow. I'm starting to see /why how/ it was named.
Pretty (no pun) imaginative concoct of "color".. complex.
it's silver...it's white.. it's yellow..it's dark..it's bright like Moonlight

It's an awesome finish for sure in my opinion. I love it. I also love these....

113733541.jpg

73989335.jpg

84882512.jpg

90954215.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
know what you mean @wflkurt ..

JDA19821.jpg

found em mint original 20/12/14/matching/ for $330 in 1979 upstairs at a Music Store (stacked in a corner as sunlight shone thru the drape..)

Owned em till about..hmm.. 1998/.

JDA19821.jpg JDA1982.jpg

at about the same time owned the Red Wine Pearl 20/12/14/brass RB ($180 out of the paper- in 1975) also and had to decide which one to keep.
looking back almost 30 years; I may have fFf up...
sold them (to local (but semifamous),,collector Ernie T,) and never saw them again any where..

Last edited:

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an early 70's Gretsch set I recently picked up via a chance stop in a small town music store. There is fade where parts were exposed to sun. I believe it is "salmon satin flame" .
All the parts were there and lots of original heads still there. It's a keeper.

Attachments

• Gretsch salmon satin flame.jpg
    Gretsch salmon satin flame.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 49

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
bet you could brush (paint and a brush) that back up- where the color has gone
I'd try it +/-
that's a beaut clip-on tom holders

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You know, I'm not really a 60s/70s Gretsch fan due to head fit issues, but I would take a chance on these wraps due to the sheer coolness factor. Ditto on Slingerland's.

Reactions: T-2

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Cool stuff guys. JDA, I was lucky enough to put together a nice champagne sparkle progressive jazz but I also know someone from my area that landed a progressive jazz just like the one you posted. The guy I know had a heck of a time cleaning off all the grime on his set but it came out great and the gold looks awesome. he told me he used a magic eraser and it worked great.

T-2

Reaction score
You know, I'm not really a 60s/70s Gretsch fan due to head fit issues, but I would take a chance on these wraps due to the sheer coolness factor. Ditto on Slingerland's.
I'm with you. Even battle scarred, these wraps retain their mojo.

Dave in VA

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as we're showing Gretsch satin flames......here's my drum room and Brooks Tegler checking out my Krupa cymbals....
and my Peacock satin flames....

Attachments

• DSC00994(1).JPG
    DSC00994(1).JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02913.JPG
    DSC02913.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
The beauty of the satin flame wraps is that they will give you less drum head fit problems than the regular pearl and sparkle wraps....because they are thinner.
And they really aren't all that hard to clean. I just used a soft rag and windex/scrubbing bubbles on them. The old grime and dirt "melts" right off.

JDA's moon flow kit photo above is quite a stunner. Salmon satin flame? Nice. That has to be rarer than the moon glow.

==============================

The OP's listed Moon Glow kit sold to member Kenwood.

Last edited: