Gretsch Playboy Kits?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m familiar with all the rest. Pros/Cons? Reputation?

Thanks!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Same shells and hoops, etc. Much like the Ludwig Club Dates the only real difference is how the shells were drilled and the use of a single center lug with longer rods in place of separate lugs as a cost saving measure. Less mass bolted to the shells as a result. On the Ludwigs this can give a slightly more open sound. Have never owned the Gretsch version so I can't attest to that with them. That might be tempered by the die-casr hoops on the Playboy set.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great sounding drums. One would need to do a side-by-side, but to my ear they really sing, so at least as good as the sound of other round badge kits, but possibly a little more open. They come with the cast hoops as K.O. mentioned, as well as the top and bottom mufflers, just like other round badge drums. Not only are there equivalents between the Playboy and Club Date drums, but any of the center lug offerings by Slingerland, Rogers, Camco, etc. All of these have the same shells and other major attributes of the top-of-the-line drums these companies produced, with the benefit of less weight and possibly more open tone. Cons? The exposed long t-rods can get bent if the drums are mishandled. Also, Club Dates were by far the most successful of the center-lugged American made drums. The Gretsch Playboy drums weren't that popular, so they are pretty scarce compared to other round badge kits. You also see them sometimes without a floor tom (a typical starter-level kit with a bass drum, rack tom, and snare drum). It is hard to find a matching round badge 14" floor tom, and next to impossible to find a matching 14" Playboy floor tom. So if you are looking at a kit with a floor tom, that makes a difference.

For some reason I've seen quite a few Playboy kits that have been re-wrapped. The Gretsch WMP seems prone to cracking, and likely the finish has given out on some of these kits. So that would be something to consider for any kit, including a Playboy. If you see one that is complete and in good condition, I'd go for it. Really great drums that are a bit distinctive compared to the more common round badge drums.

EDL

Reaction score
Gretsch Playboys play a tad more open/airy then the regular RB's..they dont have as much of the Gretsch RB knock w/o all that metal...
Playboys are more woody sounding.
But less likely to be abused because they were not as popular back in the day.
They are a lot lighter on the shoulder and would be a definite plus on the gigging weight.
I have a gold sparkle set..dont play it much but its nice to have around just in case I want that sound.

Reactions: JDA

Jolo

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a Playboy Tangerine Sparkle 20/12/14/Aluomanum snare in like new condition.
All the heads are original though there's no logo on the bass drum.
This set was owned by a country music drummer so I guess it could be called a Plowboy.
That great Gretsch sound with a little less weight.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Here's a Playboy Tangerine Sparkle 20/12/14/Aluomanum snare in like new condition.
All the heads are original though there's no logo on the bass drum.
This set was owned by a country music drummer so I guess it could be called a Plowboy.
That great Gretsch sound with a little less weight.
Wow that is a really cool set Joe!