gretsch purewood mahogany drum set question

fivestarkid

Reaction score
just picked these up...yes! GRETSCH RENOWN PUREWOOD MAHOGANY...LIKE 1 OF 15 IN THIS SIZE I READ...MAYBE 1 IN 30. these are pure mahogany shells! I play rock. I like deeper sounding drums but I don't want that dead thuddy sound. I like resonance but deeper tone. im looking for head choices for these...im thinking about cs dots, evans ec2s, aquarian clear super 2's.....but these are a rare kit and I wanna do it right the first time. looking to stay away from the coated ambassador vintage jazz sound. and I know some 2 plys can kill the tone on certain drums. maybe a good one ply clear? or a 1.5 ply clear if there is one? thanks to all who have an opinion!!!
*** these have used coated emperors on them and the more I hit them, the more im feeling those heads. I thought the 2 ply might kill the tone a bit but nope! they sound great. there might be a head though that produces exactly that deep resonant tone im looking for at some point. but might just stick with these....get it? lol *** sorry

Attachments

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played Pearl's Ltd Ed Masters African Mahogany Classic kit for several years. These were the first edition ones. Very thin shells and very very light drums.
My assumption is the Gretsch version is also thin. If not ... have another round.
My take is these thin shelled African Mahogany drums sound best with single ply heads. They are already very very deep and warm and resonant. The two ply head doesn't darken the already dark tone ... instead it tends to dampen the drum. That is not a good thing to me, so your mileage may vary.
I used Evans G1's for a while. Eventually, I went to Aquarian Texture Coated. Either of those two should satisfy.

My opinion only. Experiment with one drum and see what rocks your world.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is a Renown kit - pretty good. Coated ambassadors up & down will give a warm vintage sound to those and mostly all drums.....that's my standard head selection. Clears may also work for some boominess....

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Paging Treviso... (He has much experience with modern Gretsch, especially Purewoods).

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had my eye on one of those Purewoods for a very long time. Congrats!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What are the stock heads? They may give you a good idea regarding where to go from there or even stay with them.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first thought for those drums would be a coated single ply head - Ambassadors, G1s, or the Aquarians. The clear ones might give you some of the added mids that the coateds tend to attenuate, but if you want the very pronounced "slap" and "attack" that is typically desired by rock drummers, the clear two plies are the clear choice. (Sorry. Couldn't help it.)

You're in luck, though. No matter what head you choose, those Renowns are going to sing!

GeeDeeEmm

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the Purewood offerings. This Mahogany Purewood is no exception...they are absolutely fantastic drums...Big, fat, lush, and OOMPHY! You will love them!

Blisco

Reaction score
Congrats on a wonderful kit. I had one and found that coated Amb was a good way to go. I know you said you weren't thinking that way, but I played hard rock with this kit and it delivered. It's actually the one kit (of the many) that I regret letting go.

Attachments

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous! I had one. I think I used coated Emps on them.

826572F4-C22D-431F-8BDD-D278B7397246.png

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What are the stock heads? They may give you a good idea regarding where to go from there or even stay with them.
The stock heads are Evans. CLEAR G2 tom batter and G1 resonant. Evans EMAD bass batter.
There were 60 shellpacks made in each of the 4 and 6pc configuration. The Purewood African Mahogany wood type was offered in 2006.
The Purewood Series ran from 2005 to 2012 with a different wood-type offered each year except for the first year... 2005...
when two wood-types were offered... Walnut and Cherry.... 100 Shellpacks each.
I bought the Purewood African Mahogany 6pc shellpack that was offered for worldwide sale in 2006. I bought mine... ordered it new... in 2007. There were only two Shellpacks left in the factory when I ordered mine.
My 6pc: 10, 12, 14 and 16 toms 5.5x14 10lug snare and 18x22bass. The 4pc PWAM Shellpack was 16x24bass, 9x13 and 16 toms and 6.5x14 snare.

Going on 14yrs for my 6pc PWAM and I love them like the day they arrived.
Even though they were made in the Gretsch Taiwan factory all the hardware is the very same hardware that is used on their Gretsch Custom USA drums made at the Ridgeland SC factory. The Purewood shells also have the Silver Sealer and 30degree bearing edges.
Gorgeous well made drums.
PWAM1234.jpg

Last edited:

EssKayKay

Reaction score
Beautiful. So are these all Renowns? I don't see these options available. I assume they have been discontinued.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
They were special limited edition releases back in the 2000s. Each year, they would release a different wood species with about 30-50 kits available worldwide. I have their Rosewood and Bubinga Purewood Kits, new old stock.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, nothing like bringing up a 2 year old thread, but on my Crush Limited Reserve Mahogany I use coated Evans G12's. These are really thin shelled Mahogany/birch drums and from the 10" to the 16" all the drums sing with these heads. Perfect balance of open sound and a full body/throaty low end.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As stated, the low end is already built in so all thats left is to enhance the tone. Single ply work best for these shells be it coated or clear, no sense in disguising it. My old Olys are thin mahogany and they sing like a bird!
Trust no one was offended by this.