Gretsch RB 12x20 bass - correct size?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is definitely a wrap, not paint (at least on the 12")......I would suspect all are wraps. But nobody has this color......I found vinyl copper sheets but it is very thin.....

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You stated there are extra holes, can you tell if it’s a painted finish over wrap by a hole??
They look really cool, dying to find out how they sound!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
the old copper ----mentioned a couple times (not saying it's what these are but was mentioned )...., was paint under a clear wrap ---yes no) ...Same as the Cadillac green---what----I've always read ----here -----over the years.)
Or did I dream that.
ha

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well I set up the kit. The toms ring a lot with vintage tone but scream out for die casts. The bass edge was cut a lot and looks weird. Huge sound though, but not a vintage Gretsch sound. Bass is sweet but has unfilled holes, too.

The wrap looks like a copper foil with a clear wrap on top of it. I'm assuming it's a one piece wrap but I don't see any flakes, Sparkles or glitter.

I'm on the fence about the kit.

20200226_224548.jpg
20200226_224553.jpg
20200226_224601.jpg
20200226_231609.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I haven't looked inside. I now understand the 14 & bass have edges recut, all are rewrapped (I doubt it is original wrap that was taken off & put back on - it is very shiny and new looking), and the lugs are shiny, the rods/rims are non-original and I believe 1 or 2 drums have refinished silver sealer. FT legs and mounts (and the one on the bass) are non-original and are tom mounts, too.

I will be returning the kit likely tomorrow to GC. It seemed like a good deal but was only advertised as "rewrapped" and the bass a "12x20". I reached out to the seller via email with many questions prior to purchase and, of course, had no reply! Obviously the rims were not die cast and non original but there was no disclosure of the repaintings and the edge reworkings. I will get a full refund but I'm annoyed I have to waste 1+ hour of my life to do so. I've picked up similar RB drums that are original and not a mystery kit/pieces for the same price. I thought about keeping & flipping them but if I were the buyer, I'd be squawking about these issues, too.

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome man, congratulations!!!!

Well almost congratulations I guess, bummer they didn't work out.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well, I have RB, SSB and square badge kits. I don't need a mod RB kit - just more overkill. But if this what it was supposed to be, I would have been satisfied.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I have RB, SSB and square badge kits. I don't need a mod RB kit - just more overkill. But if this what it was supposed to be, I would have been satisfied.
That's a bummer. Are those vintage drums at all? Outside round-overs?
Is it possible that it's a fake? Some other drums done up to looks like RB's?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I still have them. I will have to check and see. I did an A/B with a KB Ludwig, vintage Rogers (Dayton?), a SSB with die casts, and this tom. The Rogers sounded the best of the 3 for a general tom sound, but all lost to the SSB in a jazz context. Just a burst of lovely tom with no overtones or ringing.

I can't find this wrap but Tama Imperialstars came in a copper mist metallic which look spot on....they also have a "burnt copper" but I think it's the same color.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
12 inch Tom 6 ply, correct bearing Edge, diamond plate holes plugged, every interior Tom Mount screw is import or aftermarket, badge was polished, both Muffler holes are visible and not filled, No Label, new hoops/claws/rods. All lugs look new without pitting or tarnish. Rap was put on with improper orientation in the seam is visible from the front, wrap cut back 1/4" nicely, no tom mount.

14FT - edges cut way back like the bass, six ply, wrap cut half inch down, all lugs look new, all interior screws are generic or import, the tag has a 37k serial number and it looks like a very faded 4417 orange and black tag, leg mounts look like diamond plate Tom mounts, and the legs themselves are Hollow and 1/2 inch diameter it looks like, both sets of Muffler holes are exposed inside and not filled, new Hoops/Claws/rods, I believe the interior was repainted silver and you can tell by the half inch border around the paper tag which looks like the original interior. I'm not a professional builder by any means but I've restored many vintage drums down to the screw and washer brought them to City and certainly attention to detail is a little lacking here.
I don't want to expend the energy because I don't know whether I would recoup it.

It sounds nice though. However, I have a 12 a 14 and a 14 by 20 base that I've been tinkering with and would love to cut down to the size. I have all the parts including the claws and I would only need to buy Hoops for the 12 and 14 I'd probably buy some for snare drum that I would match. I'm wondering if I should do some sort of vintage wood kit inspired by this one. The copper looks okay but I just don't like the cheesy pattern. It's not a glass glitter which is my favorite, and it's not even a sparkle. It's one of those low end raps that happens to be a nice color of copper.

I do have a Gretsch copper snare that matches nearly spot on, but I may actually save that 4 the kid I was talking about if I'd move forward with that project. Right now, the 14 is new champagne nitron, the 20 is wrapped in Bermuda glass, and the 12 is a orange Sparkle rewrap. I don't forget the rap of all three of them if I was going to make some sort of Woody vintage kit and a tribute to Levon Helm style which makes no sense because I'm pretty sure he didn't play a round badge drums. But that would be the look I'd be going for.....
20200229_230345.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well I officially no longer on this kit. I returned it to GC this evening..... I'm sure it'll pop up on the used website in a couple days.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well I officially no longer on this kit. I returned it to GC this evening..... I'm sure it'll pop up on the used website in a couple days.
You should take a picture of the drums you do have; I'd like to see them (the Gretsch only would be my special request ; )

Latest posts