Gretsch RB wrap removal discovery

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've stripped a lot of vintage drums and this is the first time I've come across this cloth-like liner. Even the back of the plastic looks cloth-like.
The drum, I'm told, is a late 50s Gretsch RB bass drum.
Anyone ever come across this before?
I'm using a heat gun and what's pictured took me a good half hour :( Any tips appreciated!

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I unwrapped a three ply snare drum a few years back that had badly damaged wrap and there was a layer of cheesecloth type material under the wrap. I had a heck of a time getting the glue off the shell too. No chemicals had any effect but hot soapy water and a lot of rubbing did take it off. Hide glue I suppose.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 50's era 3-ply shells did, indeed, have a linen liner! Here's a quote from Harry Cangany, from his book "The Great American Drums And The Companies That Made Them, 1920-1969"...

"Here's a tidbit: One of the causes of the "Great Gretsch Sound" may be the linen! Under the plastic covering of the '50s drums was a cloth wrap. (And you thought it was the silver paint!)"

-Mark

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen that. I've undone a few 60's beater Gretsch drums and a SSB, and none had the cloth. All had silver sealer and all had "the sound" though!

OP: Try Citrustrip......it's "non-toxic" and should take all that goop/cloth right off.......

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Yes, it's a 3 ply shell. I got both the plastic and the liner off the drum. Basically I heated one panel at a time, lifted a corner of the plastic from the linen, and yanked the plastic off in pieces.
Once it was all off, I was able to yank the liner off without any heat, and with no damage to the underlying ply.
K.O. has me worried about the glue removal, but that's tomorrow's project :)

JazzDrumGuy - I used to use Citristrip until they made the formula even more environmentally friendly, and it just doesn't work as well as it used to, IMHO.
I've switched to Jasco and find the results are much better and quicker. Thanks.

Attachments

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Yes, it's a 3 ply shell. I got both the plastic and the liner off the drum. Basically I heated one panel at a time, lifted a corner of the plastic from the linen, and yanked the plastic off in pieces.
Once it was all off, I was able to yank the liner off without any heat, and with no damage to the underlying ply.
K.O. has me worried about the glue removal, but that's tomorrow's project :)

JazzDrumGuy - I used to use Citristrip until they made the formula even more environmentally friendly, and it just doesn't work as well as it used to, IMHO.
I've switched to Jasco and find the results are much better and quicker. Thanks.
What’s Jasco? I’m about to use Citristrip on a shell and if it doesn’t work I’d like to have a backup in mind.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought my Citrustrip was older (6+ mos) and sitting around so it had lost some of its effectiveness...interesting! Seems to best work when fresh/new for me....

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What’s Jasco? I’m about to use Citristrip on a shell and if it doesn’t work I’d like to have a backup in mind.
It certainly doesn't smell as nice, and I recommend using it in a well ventilated area, preferably outside. It too has been reformulated, so it's not as toxic as the older stuff.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"I've undone a few 60's beater Gretsch drums and a SSB, and none had the cloth."
because they were 6Ply
```````````
more proof they don't make em like they used to (mick jagger voice)
`````````````````````````
only the 3's had the cheese

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Yes, I have seen the linen before. I think the glue held the wrap to the wood better at that time. As glues got better, especially the glue Rogers used, they dispensed with the cost. I've done lots and lots of refinishes. Heat gun, peel and chip, Jasco adhesive remover painted on (maybe 2 or =3 coats too!), I've bleached wood, stained, sealed, refinished. Very few shells I refinished ever were as nice as the drums made today. Ply seams horizontally as well as vertically were a chief reason I realized Mfgrs wrapped these shells for a reason.

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I unwrapped a three ply snare drum a few years back that had badly damaged wrap and there was a layer of cheesecloth type material under the wrap. I had a heck of a time getting the glue off the shell too. No chemicals had any effect but hot soapy water and a lot of rubbing did take it off. Hide glue I suppose.
Thanks for that KO. I would have tried every chemical out there before thinking to use water. I did a test area of Jasco, which did nothing. Then I sponged on hot water, and and covered one panel at a time with towels soaked in hot water. Came off great. Thanks for the heads up.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Damn I have seen that. New to me. Then again I do not think I have ever stripped a 3 ply Gretsch.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for that KO. I would have tried every chemical out there before thinking to use water. I did a test area of Jasco, which did nothing. Then I sponged on hot water, and and covered one panel at a time with towels soaked in hot water. Came off great. Thanks for the heads up.
Glad to be of assistance. I don't remember how I came to try using water but I think it was based on some old forum discussion about hide glue. Not in relation to wrap but somehow I made the connection.