Gretsch Renown... 22"... 8 lugs?

cutaway79

Reaction score
There's a guy on FB selling his Gretsch Renowns. He says the kick is 22". Yet it has 8 lugs (instead of the usual 10). I told him that I think it's a rewrapped/badged cheaper drum (Catalina maybe?), and that a Renown could have 8 lugs, OR be 22", but not both. But he says that it it's 22", AND has 8 lugs. Claims it's a "limited edition".

The only reason I even care is that I'd hate to see someone buy this thinking it's something that it's not. Have any of you ever come across a 22" Gretsch Renown with 8 lugs?

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The studio our band used to rehearse at has a Renown kit with a 22" bass. It indeed has 8 lugs. If I were to buy a 22" bass kit again (all my kicks are 20"), I would absolutely want it to have 8 instead of 10 lugs.

cutaway79

Reaction score
The studio our band used to rehearse at has a Renown kit with a 22" bass. It indeed has 8 lugs. If I were to buy a 22" bass kit again (all my kicks are 20"), I would absolutely want it to have 8 instead of 10 lugs.
Did you buy the drum new? What's the finish? Got a pic? Was yours a limited edition? Anybody know the story behind this? Why would Gretsch make just a few bass drums in the series with fewer lugs? So many questions. I'm just so curious, as I've never seen a company randomly change the lug count on their drums before, unless it was a permanent change (didn't Tama switch to 10 on the Starclassic Performer birch?).

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Lugs would tell you if its a catalina. They're much smaller with a spacing slight;y under 1"

cutaway79

Reaction score
Lugs would tell you if its a catalina. They're much smaller with a spacing slight;y under 1"
It may not be a Catalina... I just threw that out there. Could be any shell, rewrapped and drilled. I asked the seller for a picture of the inside of the shell. That should be a good indicator. Here's a pic of the drum in question. I'm just baffled by it. I have never seen, or heard of, a modern Gretsch 22" bass drum with fewer than 10 lugs in any of their lines, from Renown on up. The 8-lug 22s have always started below the Renowns.

Could it be some kind of test run/prototype?

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 1.24.44 PM.png

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a Renown 22 with 8 lugs. This is an older one with the gold badge. Maybe they made some back then. Not seeing silver sealer inside that port though, or is it me?

cutaway79

Reaction score
I've never seen a Renown 22 with 8 lugs. This is an older one with the gold badge. Maybe they made some back then. Not seeing silver sealer inside that port though, or is it me?
Even in the beginning, I don't think the 22s ever came with 8 lugs. At least, none that I've seen. I've gone back and forth on buying a Renown kit (sounds close to the USA Custom, but at a nicer price) since they came out. I never bought one, but I've looked at them a lot. Fewer lugs is something I would've noticed.

Yeah, I can't tell if the inside is wood-colored, or if that's just some padding or something.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the drum in question.
That's a 20" Renown. SEE THE POSITION OF THE SPUR where it's attached to the shell ??

Now look at a REAL 22" Renown. Look where the spur attaches. And the 20" is the bottom photo.

This is a 22"

And this is a 20 below

cutaway79

Reaction score
I thought it may be a 20" too. I suggested that to the seller, but he swears it is not.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Granted, in this case, likely a cost-saving measure. However, I prefer 8-lugs per side on 22" bass drums and spec mine built that way. Understandably, some prefer 10-luggers for various reasons, including the visuals of having those additional lugs on the drum.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I vaguely recall when those were available new. That was not a standard Renown wrap and they supposedly only made a very few of those sets in that wrap. I don't know if Gretsch just got a few sheets to try out or what the reason was but I do think these are probably few and far between ( good luck finding drums to add on to the set).

I also recall that the Renowns sold in Europe were somewhat different than the ones sold in the states with different wraps and configurations being available. Perhaps they got eight lug 22s over there ( although that would seem odd) and some made it across the Atlantic. That might also explain the unusual wrap. That is if that actually is a 22" and not a 20".

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at Renowns in 2006/2007 I recall seeing that color. And, I think I recall 22" did have 8 lugs, but can't recall for sure. It could have been a music store exclusive for Guitar Center for example.

Mine is a 2007 with the black badge and 10 lugs. I believe the black badge came out around 2007.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about the Renowns, EXCEPT the later ones have no tom mount on the bass drums, but the earlier ones did....also, those later ones have a different mounting system on the toms than the earlier ones....

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a 20" Renown. SEE THE POSITION OF THE SPUR where it's attached to the shell ??

Now look at a REAL 22" Renown. Look where the spur attaches. And the 20" is the bottom photo.

This is a 22"

I think that first pic is of a 24. I agree the legs should be a tell, but the difference in the 20 and 22 isn't as stark as these two photos show. I looked at the same thing initially.