Gretsch Renown 57

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
I saw an add in a recent drum mag for this kit. To me it looks stunning. I could not find anything on it on the Gretsch website so when I got a Music123 add over the internet, I decided to see if they have them. They do and they go for about $2,000. The color is called motor city blue and it comes with a matching throne. Gretsch is one brand I've never played but have always admired the folks who play em.
As anyone seen these in person or played them? I know that Renown is one of their higher end kits. But to me this is an exciting kit. It's going on the wish list.

You can see it here:http://www.music123.com/Drums-Percussion/Acoustic-Drums/Acoustic-Drum-Sets/Shell-Packs/Renown-57-5-Piece-Shell-Pack-with-Throne-Regular-Motor-City-Blue

sonicD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! Third thread about these... I guess if Gretsch wanted to create some buzz - it worked! I think it's a great look, but I'm not crazy about the sizes. Look back just a few days for earlier comments - should be easy to find.

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stefanie Eulinberg just said she's taking one out on the road w/Kid Rock

drumbum38

Forum Member
Reaction score
They are on the Gretsch site. Here's the link to them... http://gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=674#allphotos
Here's a link to one of the previous threads about them... http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/45465-anybody-seen-the-new-57-series-renown-looks-like-a-60s-corvett-and-your-the-horse-power-behind-it-coments-please/page__p__501623__fromsearch__1#entry501623

I think they look sharp but don't care for the sizes either. I'd still love to have a set though. They're THAT good looking IMO. Saw them in person but did not play them. Couldn't get them out of my head for days. Unfortunately they are out of my price range. :cry:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last night VH1 aired a Superbowl concert. One of the artists was Kid Rock and his drummer played this particular kit. Interestingly, it was a 6 piece kit (2 up, 2 down). I wasn't aware that you could get an extra floor tom in the Renown 57 series.

Bongo Congo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Admittedly, I have a limited amount of marketing savvy, but it appears to me that Gretsch has stumbled onto the perfect formula for making money in the drum market: build 'em in China for peanuts (clearly at the same mass-production factory that other companies are using), then add one of the most historic names in drum brands and mark 'em up 500-700% for the U.S. market. Throw in some "specialty" versions like this "57" model ~ and I'm sure others are in development as we speak ~ and you've got a genuine license to print money. Catalina and it's two dozen variations, Renown, New Classic (a somewhat dubious oxymoron, is it not?), and now these "Chevy" versions, cleverly implying a connection to a USA-made/"Americana"/Retro/Detroit origin.

Congrats to Gretsch! :notworthy:

Hater

Genuine GMS Junkie
Reaction score
We’ve got a Gretsch Motor City 57 kit in stock right now. We’ve had it for two weeks now. In fact, the bass drum showed up with a crack in the finish. We just got the replacement bass drum in earlier this week.

There really isn’t much to say about the kit. To boil it down, it’s essentially a Renown kit with a special finish. If you like the sound of Gretsch Renown drums, then you’ll like these.

We set them up on an elevated pedestal on the sales floor. It has certainly got a lot of responses since we’ve had it in. The most common bit of feedback I’ve heard was that they “love the finish, but why didn’t they come in red?” (Apparently ’57 Chevy’s came in 3 colors: baby blue, red and bronze.) I think that had it been put out in the red finish, it would FLY off the shelves.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hater,

Since you have a set in your shop, can you describe the "white" section with the Gretsch name on each tom? Is this section something that has been applied to the shell or is it a white lacquer finish? The same goes for the silver trim and lettering. Is it a decal or raised metal trim?
Just curious.

W

wayne

I remember Harry Cagany saying if you want a real Gretsch kit go back to the 60,s-70,s and start there.Drums are nothing like they used to be both cosmetically,or structually.The hardware is a vast improvement over the old days imo,but the shells even with a few inconsistancies are what most of us are after.Gretsch is smart,and they,ve proven it by implementing the USA element.I think thier marketing is brilliant and thats why they will be around for ever.I continue to look for real Gretsch drums,even the wonky RB stuff,but im old and likely have no idea what im talking about.

Hater

Genuine GMS Junkie
Reaction score
Hater,

Since you have a set in your shop, can you describe the "white" section with the Gretsch name on each tom? Is this section something that has been applied to the shell or is it a white lacquer finish? The same goes for the silver trim and lettering. Is it a decal or raised metal trim?
Just curious.
The white section appears to be a lacquer applied right to the shell. It feels and looks the same as the baby blue section, hence why I came to that conclusion. It also doesn’t appear to sit any higher off the shell than the baby blue section. The “metal” trim as you call it…I highly doubt it’s metal. I believe it to be just shiny plastic that sits on top of the paint. The same goes for the Gretsch logo, it’s made of the same material as the trim piece and just glued to the surface of the lacquer finish.

That trim piece and the logo letters, they are all pretty well glued down. I can’t get a fingernail under ANY part of any of them, so they at least glued those applications down in a way that makes me feel better about a potential purchase.

But baby blue though…I don’t know about that. It certainly looks like a ’57 Chevy, but I’ve never been crazy about that color.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I really like them in blue, but they're way out of my price range for a kit, especially since the "regular" Renowns are much less. If they came in more traditional sizes I'd consider putting them on layaway or a payment plan, but as they are now, I'm not a fan of the sizes.

BillBachman

Reaction score
They do look fancy for sure, the one at NAMM made a pretty strong impression. Red would be cool, I agree there.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really like them in blue, but they're way out of my price range for a kit, especially since the "regular" Renowns are much less. If they came in more traditional sizes I'd consider putting them on layaway or a payment plan, but as they are now, I'm not a fan of the sizes.
They are not really price higher. Here is one on Ebay for $1599.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-Renown-57-Drum-Kit-Free-Matching-Throne-/180618429969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0db28611

dontfeartheringo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whacked on a set of these at the music store when I was there today.

Let me just say:

I love my Renowns. LOVE them. Even more than the DW kit I'm playing here:

That kit? Nice. Sounded pretty ok. I didn't cry when I gave it back to S.I.R.

On the other hand: You'll get my Renowns when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers. I get EXCITED when I play these drums. I can't believe I payed less than $1k for them. Say what you will about Gretsch "mark 'em up 500-700% for the U.S. market", I paid a reasonable price for a set of drums that BURIES the DW kits I've played, the Ludwig Classic Maples and the Vistalite kit I've owned for five years. The only thing in my studio that touches them is the Cleveland Rogers kit.

Sure, that Catalina kits are entry-level kits for kids who are gonna play B8 cymbals and don't really know what to listen for, yet, but the Renowns and the New Classics are kits that have been well thought out and they sound really, really good.

Sure, I'd love to play a USA Gretsch kit, and one day I probably will have the cash on hand to pay $2400 for a kit, but in the meantime, I paid a reasonable price for That Great Gretsch Sound, and I got it.

[DEEP BREATH]

that said, I think these '57 kits are not my cup of tea. If ya dig 'em, good on ya. I don't really like the chrome that much, or the modern sizes. THAT SAID, I played them and they sounded GOOD, like my own Renown kit.

Which sounds great. REALLY great.

Hater

Genuine GMS Junkie
Reaction score
I inadvertently gave out bad information in my earlier posts. You must forgive me, as I was going from memory. (I wasn’t at the store when I typed out my responses earlier.)

When I said above that the white section was lacquered onto the shell; that was inaccurate. The whole shell is painted baby blue but the white part and the metallic trim parts are all one application that is glued onto the shell. The Gretsch logo is located on the middle of the white part of that application and therefore NOT glued on separately.

I apologize vehemently for any confusion on my part. It was not my intention to mislead anyone. Apparently my memory (at age 37 mind you) isn’t quite what it used to be.

I just tuned up that kit on Saturday and boy howdy, she sounds nice. Say what you will about “It’s not a REAL Gretsch drum set” but this baby will give any drum set a run for its money. The floor tom and the snare drum are real standouts.