Gretsch Renown Gig Report

Rudy Corona

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About a year and a half back, I picked up a "Euro" configuration Renown Maple kit--22/10/12/14 w/legs, 5/14 snare. 1000 bucks brand new. Very nice, great sounding/looking, tune good, feel good. I used them on some rock gigs---nothing to complain about, I'm sold. Anyway, since I do a fair amount of smaller jazz/bop trio and quartet type gigs, I decided to look for a smaller bass drum to add to the mix, as the 18x22 is a bit much for that stuff. I found a 16x20 on eBay and bought it. Last night I took the 20/10/14 set, and the snare (which I REALLY like) to our little quartet job---piano, guitar, bass, and me. The piano guy is not our "usual" guy, but a great player who subs once in awhile with us. He's a bit of a "firecracker"---exuberant and loud, but GOOD loud. As a result, our normal level went up a couple notches, but this let us stretch a bit and really do some old school burnin. I got to lay into the Gretsch pretty hard and I must say: The drums were perfect---I see why the old boppers dug Gretsch---the toms cut and sing, and the bass drum came through with a beautiful warm thump, and a nice note, even with the stock Emad, which I'm still a little "on the fence" with. All in all, a great experience. If you like the Gretsch "thing"----these drums really are a great deal, and they get the job done with ease. Rock On! (or Bop on :smile: )

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have much love for my Renowns. I use to split duty between those and my older Sonors. - Sonors for smaller stages where they might get bumped into, and Renowns for the larger stuff. Now I just leave the Sonors at home. I still love them as well, but the Renowns are just so fun to play.

Putting coated heads on the toms recently has really brought something out of them. I am not going back to clear batters on the Renowns again.

Rudy Corona

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's the key---They are FUN to play. For whatever reason, these drums feel great to play on. Mine still have the stock (G2) heads, I bet I would love them with coated single ply's also.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went from the stock clear G2's, to the clear EC2's and now the coated G2's. I need them to last a bit longer than a G1, and the G2 is the perfect head for what I want it to sound like. I don't know what i was thinking with the EC2 - excellent head for the Sonors, but not the Renowns. EC2 with die-cast hoops? Not a great combo IMO.

As a plug for Evans, I have played 3 gigs on them, an extended pre-production session, and they look like new. I thought the coating would be chipped by now. Very impressed.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rudy,
Great report on your Renown kit. I have my 20,12,14, 14sn Renown kit set up for jazz and light rock with coated ambs. and sometimes Fiberskyns on the toms. I get a very warm but cutting tone out of the toms. On the kick I swaped out the stock Emad for my usual clear PS3 and had mixed results. I ended up going back to the Emad with the thin ring. This kick drum just seems to like the Emad better. I also installed a non ported Fiberskyn reso head on the kick. I did use a felt strip to dampen the overtones and love the kick. The way I have the kit set up provides plenty of versitility and has been one of my favorite kits to gig with.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
What's not to like about Renowns? Great sounding, well built, and a fair price! I've owned Renown's, Round Badges, and New . The Renowns were my favorites. Easier to tune, fit standard heads and a better sounding kick then the , lighter, and to my eye, better looking then the NC's. The only reason mine left was that I just couldn't get into the hanging 14" tom. Shoulda popped the bucks and ordered a 16" floor tom. View attachment 96587 View attachment 96588 View attachment 96589

Rudy Corona

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, fellas. I should add that I am not a newcomer to Gretsch, having owned a 60's RB kit years ago, and also spent lots of time behind Dad's 70's Walnut kit. Truth be told, I actually prefer the Renowns to my old RB's----much easier to tune, and the heads fit!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great drums. Here's a pic of my dearly departed but not forgotten Renown Purewood Mahogany's...