header.nohb.html

Gretsch Renown or Tama Superstar Classic 2022

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I love my Renown kit. Very usable tuning range, the floor Tom especially is killer. Fit and finish is first rate. The hardware is very solid and user friendly. The snare drum was not my cup of tea, I sold it and bought a Ludwig Universal Series 6.5x14 Brass, which is more to my liking. I will say that the person who bought the Renown snare loved it. As far as build quality, this is probably the nicest set I’ve ever owned.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I checked out a Superstar Classic in GC about 3 yrs ago and was under-whelmed. Nothing like the 80's Superstars. The drums just felt light, flimsy and cheap imo.
Like MIJ's from the old days. Nothing about them impressed me. Then again, I've owned the real Superstars for almost 40 yrs....no comparison. I did try a
set of 2005 Tama Starclassic Performers a couple years ago too. While they had a great finish and great sound, they too felt a little less rugged than the 80's Superstars.
I actually like the 80's hardware better too.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my Renowns!!! But I have a dissenting opinion regarding the double tom holder. I think it's a piece of crap. Not only does it NOT hold the toms very well but now my down tube has become separated from the rest of the assembly. I would say this is the Achilles Heel of the Renowns. Otherwise, I think few drums on the market can compete with them from a purely sound standpoint.

Piece o' crap tom holder link:

My Renowns on the gig:
1.jpg

kit.jpg

Friendo

Reaction score
Appreciate the input on your experience, @Grooovepig . Curious, what year are your Renowns? Some other random boards I've read stated that Gretsch has made more improvements on the toms holder over recent years.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input on your experience, @Grooovepig . Curious, what year are your Renowns? Some other random boards I've read stated that Gretsch has made more improvements on the toms holder over recent years.
They are probably from 2019 they are the current RN2's. It wouldn't prevent me from buying these drums again. It's just a data point to consider. I wonder if Gibraltar makes one that would fit?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both the Tama and Renown double tom mounts are excellent.
If fact, if I ordered a new USA Custom I'd get it with the Renown 2 mounting setup.
They both take a standard 1" downtube, so you can use pretty much any brand.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
OK, it's just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

If you are making this decision based on sonic qualities, I'd go with the Renown. Those toms & bass drums seem to always have a really nice balance of attack and tone.

The Tamas also sound great, and I think their fit & finish, hardware, etc, is of higher quality. But sound is usually the first consideration, so....hello Gretsch!

Edit: I wasn't reading carefully. For some reason my middle aged brain thought the Tama kit you were comparing was in the Starclassic Performer line, when it was actually Superstars. I think the Renowns are better by just about any metric than the Superstars. Starclassic Performers vs Renown would be a more interesting shootout, imo.

Last edited:

rsmittee

Reaction score
This is good to know, @Redbeard77 ! Thanks for the feedback. I was going to order on Sweetwater. I was going to get the 5-piece shell pack in Cherry Burst (7" x 10" and 8" x 12" toms, 14" x 16" floor, 18" x 22" bass, 5" x 14" snare). Beautiful finish (red is my fav). I was also going to special order an 7" x 8" tom just because I love having three up, one down. I know it's unconventional! But that's my fav setup.

Appreciate the insight!
My plunge into the Renown world started with the same shell pack without the snare. Same color even. Two main reasons were the DCP video on kits under 2k, and SW had a smokin' deal on an open-box set. My expectations were not very high. I just wanted a gigging kit that I could knock around and leave my Yamz at home. I was blown away at how great they sound, and the hardware is flawless. No problems at all. Since that first 4 pc shell pack purchase 2 years ago, my shell bank has grown to 9 pieces with the most recent addition of 24, 13, 16.

One more time...
20220729_205148.jpg

I'm a Renown convert and evangelist for sure. Although, now that I have almost all the available RN2's, I've got my eye on a set of Starclassic Walnut/Birch. GAS is real!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
My plunge into the Renown world started with the same shell pack without the snare. Same color even. Two main reasons were the DCP video on kits under 2k, and SW had a smokin' deal on an open-box set. My expectations were not very high. I just wanted a gigging kit that I could knock around and leave my Yamz at home. I was blown away at how great they sound, and the hardware is flawless. No problems at all. Since that first 4 pc shell pack purchase 2 years ago, my shell bank has grown to 9 pieces with the most recent addition of 24, 13, 16.

One more time...
View attachment 577343

I'm a Renown convert and evangelist for sure. Although, now that I have almost all the available RN2's, I've got my eye on a set of Starclassic Walnut/Birch. GAS is real!
vangogh.jpg

Friendo

Reaction score
@rsmittee - love it! This is super good to know and your kit is beautiful! I'm just wanting a nice gigging kit as well, one that sounds great, easy to tune. I always get compliments on the sound of my Mapex Meridiens, they're old, but the maple shells are just really nice. So I can imagine the Renowns will be sooooo much nicer. It will be a step up for me, for sure.

I can see where it would be easy to just keep adding!

One thing: What's the "DCP Video"? Curious. Would love to check it out.