Gretsch Renown questions UPDATE: Kit is on the way!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I get a kit? I've played a few and always really liked them.
One I played in a recording studio sounded like a drum kit should sound. I've been jones-ing to get a kit
for probably 15 years now.

Is it worth getting one with no wrap (for better sound)?
Natural Maple or Piano black?

What's a good place to buy them from? Trying to find a lower than average new price, if it exists.

I know a 24 is in the mix. Just don't know about the shell pack. 13 and 16 would be fine but feel like the 12, 14, 16 are missing.
Guess I can add them later if I really miss them.

Wanted to get some opinions from my DFO people.

Last edited:

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Renowns.

2007 Blue Burst - 22, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 with matching 14x6.5 snare. Beautiful looking and sounding drums.

2020 RN2 in Silver Oyster wrap. I picked it up a month ago and literally have not been able to set it up and play it yet. I have tapped all of the drums and they sound great. Different heads, hoops, mount on the rack tom, and sizes than my other Renown, except for the 16. 24, 13, 16. I may hunt down a 10" at some point. I had a Recording Custom with 10, 13, 16 and the spread was phenomenal and VERY musical.

I can't imagine anyone NOT liking a Renown, no matter the flavor.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
You won't regret getting this kit. I have owned a bunch of them over the years, including many of the Purewood series. The quality is excellent and you won't be able to tell sonically the difference from the USA maple. If you want all of those sizes, get two shell packs....get the 24, 13.16fl and then the fusion 22,10,12,14fl. You will be set for life.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I get a kit? I've played a few and always really liked them.
One I played in a recording studio sounded like a drum kit should sound. I've been jones-ing to get a kit
for probably 15 years now.

Is it worth getting one with no wrap (for better sound)?
Natural Maple or Piano black?

What's a good place to buy them from? Trying to find a lower than average new price, if it exists.

I know a 24 is in the mix. Just don't know about the shell pack. 13 and 16 would be fine but feel like the 12, 14, 16 are missing.
Guess I can add them later if I really miss them.

Wanted to get some opinions from my DFO people.
Renowns are nice! I was between Renowns and Classic Maples. I got the Classic Maples in the end because it's what I really wanted but Renowns are great sounding drums. I wouldn't worry about the sound thing with the Wrap vs. laquered finish. Your not gonna notice! Get the finish you like most. I ignored that theory and got a wrap in the end. It's tough & durable and resists getting dinged. Size wise on the shell pack, if you are mentioning 3 rack toms it's because you want them. Get the most pieces you can afford because later on your gonna regret not getting them. I got 10, 12 & 16 and a week later ended up ordering an 8, 13 & 14. And my bass drum is 22x18. Price wise on Renowns, it's pretty much the same everywhere. Just look for somewhere that has stock of the sizes and finish that you want. When you find it, call a sales rep and ask for a better price. I did that with the Xtra toms and a snare I bought and got a better price. 2 toms from Sweetwater + 1 tom and 1 snare from Soundpure.
Good luck!

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned it before here, but my current set is a set of RN1's and I've been told by a couple of local drummers that they thought they sounded like the USA Customs. Now, I've never owned a set of USA Customs so I couldn't tell ya that's absolutely true. I do know they sound punchy, project well, and tune easily (bearing edges on my drums were great). The kick is a 22 and it will blow your hair back. No port on the front head. They take both low and high tunings well and mine hold. Don't have to mess with them a lot. So, yeah... Go for it!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I can negotiate my living situation this kit can happen. I asked the question a little while ago tonight.

I'm helping my Mom recover from heart surgery that took place right before the pandemic hit. She's doing really well but not into the idea of having a kit around her house and my home base is too far away. I could get the kit and then have to store it somewhere until things change, but it might be worth it. Otherwise it won't get played until then. I did ask the question tonight but fully understand and respect where she's coming from.

There is a big shack on the property, far away from the house and I figured that would be possible but I don't think her mind will change.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Renowns.

2007 Blue Burst - 22, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 with matching 14x6.5 snare. Beautiful looking and sounding drums.

2020 RN2 in Silver Oyster wrap. I picked it up a month ago and literally have not been able to set it up and play it yet. I have tapped all of the drums and they sound great. Different heads, hoops, mount on the rack tom, and sizes than my other Renown, except for the 16. 24, 13, 16. I may hunt down a 10" at some point. I had a Recording Custom with 10, 13, 16 and the spread was phenomenal and VERY musical.

I can't imagine anyone NOT liking a Renown, no matter the flavor.
That's pretty much what would happen if I bought a Renown right now. It probably wouldn't get played for some time.

But on the topic of the 10-13-16 spread you had, I have an Eames kit that's 10-13-15-18-22 and know exactly what you mean by a musical spread. It achieves the best tuning interval without getting anywhere near the sometimes dreaded 12-13 issue, where they often can't be tuned far enough away from each other. Wish I could sit down behind the Eames right now!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't regret getting this kit. I have owned a bunch of them over the years, including many of the Purewood series. The quality is excellent and you won't be able to tell sonically the difference from the USA maple. If you want all of those sizes, get two shell packs....get the 24, 13.16fl and then the fusion 22,10,12,14fl. You will be set for life.
I'd probably go with a 20x16 since I've never had a 20 for more than a few months, when I had an old Ludwig kit. That was a really nice, thumping drum, all body and no attack, though. A modern Gretsch would probably have attack and thump. Also a 20 would make for easier load-in/out when we can gig again, easier tom positioning and bigger toms over the kick, which I like. But yeah! I'd want to add to the shell pack and have all the choice.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renowns are nice! I was between Renowns and Classic Maples. I got the Classic Maples in the end because it's what I really wanted but Renowns are great sounding drums. I wouldn't worry about the sound thing with the Wrap vs. laquered finish. Your not gonna notice! Get the finish you like most. I ignored that theory and got a wrap in the end. It's tough & durable and resists getting dinged. Size wise on the shell pack, if you are mentioning 3 rack toms it's because you want them. Get the most pieces you can afford because later on your gonna regret not getting them. I got 10, 12 & 16 and a week later ended up ordering an 8, 13 & 14. And my bass drum is 22x18. Price wise on Renowns, it's pretty much the same everywhere. Just look for somewhere that has stock of the sizes and finish that you want. When you find it, call a sales rep and ask for a better price. I did that with the Xtra toms and a snare I bought and got a better price. 2 toms from Sweetwater + 1 tom and 1 snare from Soundpure.
Good luck!
There's something about a black kit that can scream class and I think the Renown has that going for it. So I probably won't be overly concerned about the wrap or lacquer unless a much better deal appears for the lacquer finish. Regarding price, it doesn't appear to change at all across the board, like you mention. Good idea calling around and trying to get a better deal. Worth a try.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's something about a black kit that can scream class and I think the Renown has that going for it. So I probably won't be overly concerned about the wrap or lacquer unless a much better deal appears for the lacquer finish. Regarding price, it doesn't appear to change at all across the board, like you mention. Good idea calling around and trying to get a better deal. Worth a try.
Go for it! And I'm sure you will get a better deal by calling. The research and selection process is the first fun part about getting a new kit and the second part is when the boxes arrive and you get to open them. Enjoy! :)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I 'd ask someone the exact $ difference between (someone could look it up) a Brooklyn and a Renown

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Renown. I currently have a shell pack of 16/18/20/24 kicks, 8-10-12-13 racks, and 14-16-18 floors (basically every drum they make except for the 22" kick and the snares)

They're super versatile, and will work at any level of performance -- if you can't get these drums to sound good, it's not the drums (to be fair, that's the truth for just about every manufacturer's mid-tier and above these days).

I always prefer a wrap for drums that are ever going to be out of the studio - I have the vintage WMP and it's absolutely stunning.

I have lots of audio / video / pics available if you'd like to hear some example recordings.

Recently swapped out the 301 double-flanged hoops for die-cast on a few drums -- these drums respond very well to the die-cast, and close the gap even further between the USA Custom and Renown (RN2) sound.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned it before here, but my current set is a set of RN1's and I've been told by a couple of local drummers that they thought they sounded like the USA Customs. Now, I've never owned a set of USA Customs so I couldn't tell ya that's absolutely true. I do know they sound punchy, project well, and tune easily (bearing edges on my drums were great). The kick is a 22 and it will blow your hair back. No port on the front head. They take both low and high tunings well and mine hold. Don't have to mess with them a lot. So, yeah... Go for it!
I bought a set of Cherry Burst RN1's from a fellow DFO'r about a year ago and I love them. I even bought a new RN2 18" kick afterwards so I could have a great bop kit. They do take any tuning well. I have them headed with Fiberskyns cranked high for jazz and they sound awesome. I dont have the snare, so I play this kit with my 4160 COB, also with a Fiberskyn head.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s worth it to not get the wrap. Natural or lacquer will never bubble or come loose and if you nick it up you can get some matching stain to fix it.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always prefer a wrap for drums that are ever going to be out of the studio - I have the vintage WMP and it's absolutely stunning.

I have lots of audio / video / pics available if you'd like to hear some example recordings.

Recently swapped out the 301 double-flanged hoops for die-cast on a few drums -- these drums respond very well to the die-cast, and close the gap even further between the USA Custom and Renown (RN2) sound.
The non-solid wraps are very nice looking and they cost about $150-200 more than solid or lacquer finishes. I'm tempted to go for the silver oyster pearl. I really like it and it doesn't make me think Ringo (not a dig on Ringo, just don't want that wrap). Toss up between that and piano black.

I'd like to hear your kit audio if you want to share it. I've heard Renown drums many times and it should sound exactly like what I expect and it's always revealing to hear them in another context.

Meanwhile, that finish is soooo elegant, classy and sharp...

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The non-solid wraps are very nice looking and they cost about $150-200 more than solid or lacquer finishes. I'm tempted to go for the silver oyster pearl. I really like it and it doesn't make me think Ringo (not a dig on Ringo, just don't want that wrap). Toss up between that and piano black.

I'd like to hear your kit audio if you want to share it. I've heard Renown drums many times and it should sound exactly like what I expect and it's always revealing to hear them in another context.

Yes... That looks great! Mine are matte black. Personally love that non glossy look even though my 90's Pearl Sessions before this were a wine red gloss finish. Just wanted something different. Any version of red or black, I'm a fan!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you seen Silver Oyster Pearl in person? If you think you like it in pictures, you'll LOVE it when you see it up close! It looks deep and the pearl aspect reflects different colors in a subtle way.