Gretsch Renown questions UPDATE: Kit is on the way!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen Silver Oyster Pearl in person? If you think you like it in pictures, you'll LOVE it when you see it up close! It looks deep and the pearl aspect reflects different colors in a subtle way.
Never seen SOP in person but I think I will soon. It has depth to it!

Tyro

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Renown. I currently have a shell pack of 16/18/20/24 kicks, 8-10-12-13 racks, and 14-16-18 floors (basically every drum they make except for the 22" kick and the snares)
Hi, a 16” Renown kick - where did you find that?! I’m the market for a small Gretsch kit to bring to bars etc, I know there’s the Brooklyn micro kit but over here in Europe it’s about 2700 USD so a Renown with 16” BD would be great!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a 16x14 (deep) floor tom that comes with some sets. It's not an add on option, but I've seen a couple dealers selling them

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
16x14 would be a good option, but what I really want is a 14x12 with a tom mount on, and I'd set it up over a 20x16. I'd probably put it over the 24 too, but I'm not sure I'd like the angle.

I'm probably ordering the 24-13-16 this week!

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Hi, a 16” Renown kick - where did you find that?! I’m the market for a small Gretsch kit to bring to bars etc, I know there’s the Brooklyn micro kit but over here in Europe it’s about 2700 USD so a Renown with 16” BD would be great!
As Cauldronics guessed, I had it made. Took a 16x16, had it cut down to 16x12 with a new batter edges (roundover), got hoops + claws from Drum Factory Direct, and used the Dunnett conversion kit for the spurs + rail consolette.

http://instagr.am/p/BiJA4jRAWCY/

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your kit audio if you want to share it. I've heard Renown drums many times and it should sound exactly like what I expect and it's always revealing to hear them in another context.
A few audio samples -- some of these are just recorded with a phone, which isn't great audio quality, but you can still get an idea:

(18 kick, 14 floor - phone mic)
http://instagr.am/p/B4rS7Yfhx-4/
(16 kick - phone mic)
http://instagr.am/p/B7SRR8mBGLF/
(18 kick / 16 kick - overheads and kick mics only)
http://instagr.am/p/CBo9SEkDw7S/
(18 kick / 16 kick - overheads and kick mics only)
http://instagr.am/p/CBroLAqDPIR/
(18 kick, 10 rack / 14 floor - overheads, kick, snare mic'ed)
http://instagr.am/p/CB_rxD8DqTT/

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your kit audio if you want to share it. I've heard Renown drums many times and it should sound exactly like what I expect and it's always revealing to hear them in another context.
A few more:

(18 kick, 10 rack / 14 floor - overheads, kick, snare mics)
http://instagr.am/p/CCc3SZ_DGRw/
http://instagr.am/p/CCkGv9BjwJ0/
http://instagr.am/p/CCpVxqbDy6c/
(18 kick, 10 rack / 14 floor, switching from 302 double-flanged to die-cast hoops - overheads, kick, snare mics)
http://instagr.am/p/CC49lctDB4s/
(24 kick, 13 rack, 16 floor, 18 floor, phone mic)

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Final share -- everything on here was recorded with various combinations of the Renowns. 20" and 24" kick, 10-12 / 14/16 floors.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen Silver Oyster Pearl in person? If you think you like it in pictures, you'll LOVE it when you see it up close! It looks deep and the pearl aspect reflects different colors in a subtle way.
I really like the look of this finish with the natural hoops that are heavily lacquered for a great look.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
bpaluzzi, that’s a lot of material! The Renown holding its own through all of it.

I was a little surprised by the amount of thump from the 16” kick, but I guess I shouldn’t be. Thanks for posting and nice drumming!

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
bpaluzzi, that’s a lot of material! The Renown holding its own through all of it.

I was a little surprised by the amount of thump from the 16” kick, but I guess I shouldn’t be. Thanks for posting and nice drumming!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm super excited with the sounds I'm getting off the Renown stuff. I previously used Catalinas, and have even more footage / songs recorded on them. With any of the big manufacturers these days, you can get totally, absolutely usable professional-level sounds out of all but their very lowest lines. There's definitely something to be said for the feeling you get from playing more expensive drums, your personal pleasure, and the _variety_ of sounds you can get out of high-end drums, but just about every series out there will give you at least one _very_ usable sound. I played arenas and recorded two major-label albums with the Catalinas, and they were absolutely fine.

One thing to note -- in all the footage I shared, the 16" kick was way open -- it was the "808"-style sound in the big kit videos, and tuned pretty far up with the cajon snare. The phone mic didn't pick up a lot of the resonance on the cajon video, but it was singing. The 18" is the drum that is tuned just-above wrinkles and full of thump.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I was hearing the thump of the 18 thinking it was the 16.
i agree about lower middle and mid line kits being better than ever. They’re probably a match in quality or even better than what was available in the higher end range of the last 20-40 years. Depends what kits are being looked at.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to keep kicking this thread up, but I'm excited now. Today I worked out all the details of the order with the retailer and he cut me a deal that's about $150 less than normal Renown prices online.

That INCLUDES a couple of special extras. We were waiting to hear back from Gretsch about making a custom 14x12 with a rack ring instead of legs and they are going to make one. It's a 4 month wait but it'll be worth it. The other extra isn't Gretsch, it's a Mapex Black Panther Shadow 14x6.5 birch/walnut snare that he cut about $45 off. They're kick*** snare drums.

In about a week the 24-10-13-16 should be showing up! I'm going to get a 20x16 and a 12 somewhere down the road. I can't wait!

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had my Natural Maple Gloss kit for over a year now and I love that kit more and more each day. I got 10/12/16/22 and added a 14" floor tom to make it a 2 up/ 2 down setup.

I like the hardware on the kit. Really well designed. A bit heavy, but I can't image this hardware ever letting you down. The drums sound and look great.

I got a great deal from Sweetwater, which I did not expect, but they gave me the pricing, did the special order for the add on tom and excellent customer service.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out Sweetwater's exclusive color and sizes:
That’s a nice kit and the burnt orange sparkle is a lacquer. I would have been tempted but the sizes aren’t for me and it looks like the only add on is a 10x7.

My Renown is now floating around in limbo because I was evacuated from my home due to the fires here in CA. It’s out there somewhere but things have been chaotic. I’ll get a chance to track it down tomorrow. We should be able to go back to our house soon and we found out that’s it didn’t burn down. One day at a time for now.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my RENOWNS!!!!

Pros:
- Finish, Piano black, always looks classy and professional to me

- Thin shells, toms really sing! I mean really sing....

- Bass drum mounted toms, for me this is a requirement for my gigging kits

- Heads, comes with real deal Remo Emps over Ambassadors (great combo for this kit)

- Beefy floor tom legs!

- Attractive and functional tom mounts and memory locks

- Price, I paid about $1,050.00 for this 4 piece 10,12,16,22" shell pack with Black Friday discounts. You'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding kit new at this price point. Used, the value proposition gets even better.

Cons:
- Lugs, 5 lugs on the 10" and 12". Very difficult to tune going lug to lug. I have better success using the ol' palm in center of head and tune til wrinkles go away method. There are ALWAYS 2 lugs that sound different than the other 3.

- Tom holder, the ball joints are not the best quality. You kind of have to over tighten them to get the toms to stay put and they can be prone to shift with constant setup and tear down.

- Bass drum, 18" depth is not my favorite. But mic'd up it sounds really great.

G2.jpg

Last edited: