Gretsch Renown snare hates G1 batters!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
My modern Gretsch Renown 8-lug snare sounds horrible with a new coated G1 batter.(Sharp, slappy, harsh & overly bright)

The drum has diecasts of course, but I don't understand why it sounds so bad with the coated G1 batter.
Today I replaced the G1 with an Evans EC reverse dot clear batter, a head I would normally never use on a snare and it sounds much better, now the drum has body and fullness with no more slappy, bright, sharp sound, although the 2-ply EC2 does reduce some of the sensitivity response.

My question is, do you notice that Renown snare drums don't sound right with Evans G1 batter heads?
This drum sounds fuller and has way more body with the EC head now -the tonal difference is like night & day, I'm wondering why?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I have a coated amb here and may try it - but after this experience I'm beginning to suspect Renown snares simply don't like 1-ply batters. At least this one.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Even better, put a coated CS Black Dot (or white dot) on it. They love single ply heads just fine, it's just that Evans heads stink! :)

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
As mentioned, the drum sounds just fine with the EC reverse dot batter now,

I'm only wondering if other Renown snare users have found the standard G1 head to be "slappy" and sharp sounding on their snares.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
My 6.5 Gretsch Renown snare came with a Remo Ambassador. It rings a lot! Mine has 302 hoops. I suppose a coated Emperor or something similar would tone it down a bit.

Nice drum, very full and woody sounding. Beautiful black lacquer finish. But I'm thinning the herd, so it's in the For Sale section if anybody's interested. :occasion5:

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Havent had a Renown snare but I did have the same kind of problem with a G1 on my Tama Kingbeat. Have you had good results with G1s on your Kingbeat snares? Im wondering if those heads dont sound so hot on snares with diecast hoops.

rockitboy1

Reaction score
a good friend of mine has 6.5 in piano black with 302s He runs a coated emperor/ Ambassador reso, puresound 20 strand (I believe) mid to mid high tuning, and this thing is a beast.. sounds beautiful. Plenty of crack when needed and also good body and tone.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
High on Stress said:
Havent had a Renown snare but I did have the same kind of problem with a G1 on my Tama Kingbeat. Have you had good results with G1s on your Kingbeat snares? Im wondering if those heads dont sound so hot on snares with diecast hoops.
That's what I was thinking too.
On my Renown toms, coated G1s sound really good, it's just the snare that didn't.

I've never tried a G1 batter on either of my steel KingBeat snares yet, pretty sure I have coated Emps on those.

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 X 14 Full-range (basically a renown snare without the renown branding - 10 lug with diecast hoops) that came with a coated G1 that sounded exactly as you describe.
Tried a few different heads with varying degrees of success.
Went with a coated ambassador out of necessity on tour and it was the best the drum has ever sounded.
Perfect balance of depth and snap.
I just figure the single ply Evans film doesn't work with this drum.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a G1 on my Gretsch Rosewood with diecasts and it sounds fantastic.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Is it just me, or do Evans G1 heads have kind of a thin sound compared to Remo Ambassadors or Aquarian coateds? I'm not a regular Evans user, but I've tried a couple of these heads and I found them to be rather wimpy, with a lot of high frequency but not much else. Not a lot of balls.

Could be just my ears, and it also may depend on the drum.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Perhaps an Evans Black Onyx head would work well on that drum.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
RIDDIM said:
I frequently work in a club that has a set of house drums, and the tom heads are Evans Black Onyx. They have nice tonality, but they feel like I'm playing on rubber practice pads. Really mushy attack. I don't feel like the sound is getting out to the audience. And forget about playing brushes on them. No coating.

But play what you like! :occasion5:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
Is it just me, or do Evans G1 heads have kind of a thin sound compared to Remo Ambassadors or Aquarian coateds? I'm not a regular Evans user, but I've tried a couple of these heads and I found them to be rather wimpy, with a lot of high frequency but not much else. Not a lot of balls.

When I acquired my used Ludwigs, they had clear G2's/G1 combo on the toms. They sounded good so when I bought new heads I figured I'd stick with Evans. I put coated G1's on the batter side and I really like them. The drums are really loud and sharp sounding. With my Pearls I usually go Remo.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I don't understand why the G1sounded horrible, but Ima keep what I've got on there now, the Evans EC reverse dot, it sounds fine.

Thanks for your replies

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
I frequently work in a club that has a set of house drums, and the tom heads are Evans Black Onyx. They have nice tonality, but they feel like I'm playing on rubber practice pads. Really mushy attack. I don't feel like the sound is getting out to the audience. And forget about playing brushes on them. No coating.

But play what you like! :occasion5:
I like them on snare drums, especially an 8x14 Gretsch. They can do rim shots well - and also have enough meat to them where you can play a back beat in the center of the head without a rim shot and it still sounds substantive and rich. The ghost notes are off the hook. I do a lot of jazz and R&B gigs and these things work, IMHO, very well.

I do a lot of brush work and they work very well there.

J

jaymandude

rondrums51 said:

Not to me... I've been buying the occasional G1 coated, mostly for toms, and they sound really good to me.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:

My general experience with them as well. Occasionally they sound pretty good on some drums but when they dont ... they really dont. Every drum (snare or tom)Ive tried with a coated Ambassador has sounded good at a minimum, and often better than anything else. On the other hand, the coated Evans reverse dot head sounds great to me on any snare but the Remo coated CS sometimes doesnt sound optimal.