Gretsch Renowns?

severed lips

Reaction score
This is great stuff. I feel more confident now about my decision to hone in on the Renowns. I still can't get over the finishes though. How often does Gretsch update their finishes? I really want a vintage sparkle finish but they don't offer any right now. I've decided that I'm not buying a kit unless I love the finish. They used to offer a copper sparkle and a turquoise sparkle but not anymore.

I did notice the Sweetwater burt orange virgin 22" offering but I really don't want a 22" kick. I love my 24" kick and I know I will regret dropping down.

As far as my Rogers kit, I'm not a drum connoisseur so I can't speak drummerese. I know it's a Holiday kit from the Dayton Cleveland era. So 60s likely.
Why am I not happy with it anymore...man I'm just sick of vintage gear. I want something new, that sounds better, that makes me sound better, a kit I get excited to play. I feel like my vintage kit has actually held me back a bit. When I play someone else's nice kit I notice I'm a much better drummer than than when I play mine.

Thanks for all your help with this!

Last edited:

EssKayKay

Reaction score
I love the Gretsch Renowns but I too wish they offered more finishes – particularly stains like satin cherry, mahogany, or chestnut. I guess that’s marketing. If you want something more exquisite you have to jump up to a Brooklyn or more.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Gretsch Renowns but I too wish they offered more finishes – particularly stains like satin cherry, mahogany, or chestnut. I guess that’s marketing. If you want something more exquisite you have to jump up to a Brooklyn or more.
might not, only be marketing
all those great Gretsch wood finishes are done old school by hand in SC
the import works might not have the time facilities ....

Last edited:

EssKayKay

Reaction score
might not, only be marketing
all those great Gretsch wood finishes are done old school by hand in SC
the import works might not have the time facilities Or skill.....
Yup, I hear you and have to agree - just saying. . .

Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is great stuff. I feel more confident now about my decision to hone in on the Renowns. I still can't get over the finishes though. How often does Gretsch update their finishes? I really want a vintage sparkle finish but they don't offer any right now. I've decided that I'm not buying a kit unless I love the finish. They used to offer a copper sparkle and a turquoise sparkle but not anymore.

I did notice the Sweetwater burt orange virgin 22" offering but I really don't want a 22" kick. I love my 24" kick and I know I will regret dropping down.

As far as my Rogers kit, I'm not a drum connoisseur so I can't speak drummerese. I know it's a Holiday kit from the Dayton era. So 60s likely.
Why am I not happy with it anymore...man I'm just sick of vintage gear. I want something new, that sounds better, that makes me sound better, a kit I get excited to play. I feel like my vintage kit has actually held me back a bit. When I play someone else's nice kit I notice I'm a much better drummer than than when I play mine.

Thanks for all your help with this!
Buy this...I'm tempted to myself. Limited edition (only available at 5 star drum shops) in Delmar Red Sparkle with a 24" bass drum and die cast hoops. The "almost" USA customs of the day. I really wanted one at the time. If I were getting that fabled $2k stimulus check we were so far denied I would not be sharing this but buying it myself...

Gretsch Renown Maple 2012 Red Sparkle | Stebal Drums | Reverb

Gretsch renown.jpg

severed lips

Reaction score

Ox Han

Reaction score
I would be curious as to their answer.
from Gretsch's email response: Wood is sourced to Taiwan...

"The factory in Taiwan then creates the shell and builds the kit from that location which is then sent over to us in the USA."

Taiwan for the win. Now, if Gretsch would just get in on the "travel" kit and make a renown with a 20x12 or 20x10 kit for around USD $999. They'd have my money, or more of my money.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

"The factory in Taiwan then creates the shell and builds the kit from that location which is then sent over to us in the USA."

Taiwan for the win. Now, if Gretsch would just get in on the "travel" kit and make a renown with a 20x12 or 20x10 kit for around USD $999. They'd have my money, or more of my money.
So are the wood boards coming from the US to Taiwan? I can't tell from what you typed.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the follow up!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's sold. Bummer. TY
Dang, well it was a super sweet deal. I don't go on Reverb that much and I guess I missed that bit of info. That set I found today was maybe the 4th or 5th one of these sets I've seen put up for sale since they were originally offered. I know there was at least one for sale on this forum a few years back. They are out there and maybe someone is tired of them. They do occupy the sweet spot of being the "right" kind of Renowns in a great wrap in classic sizes. Keep looking.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buy this...I'm tempted to myself. Limited edition (only available at 5 star drum shops) in Delmar Red Sparkle with a 24" bass drum and die cast hoops. The "almost" USA customs of the day. I really wanted one at the time. If I were getting that fabled $2k stimulus check we were so far denied I would not be sharing this but buying it myself...

Gretsch Renown Maple 2012 Red Sparkle | Stebal Drums | Reverb

View attachment 478370
I have one of these kits I bought when they were new around 06 or 08(?) and have been playing it exclusively ever since. Mine was packaged with the matching snare but I didn't know at the time there was an add-on 18" tom available. I've never seen one for sale by itself but have come across a couple of kits being sold with one but the owner wouldn't separate.
Anyway, I obviously love my Renowns and they hang right there with any USAs I've played. I also had a 10/12/14/20 RN2 for a while and they were great sounding drums as well (I just prefer the larger sizes). I recommend Renowns to everyone who asks about them. :occasion5:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was just a year or two ago those colors were offered. Contact as many Gretsch dealers as you can and see if they can find any of those kits on a shelf somewhere.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
C3A47F75-65EE-40F7-8A2A-7B26567DDF4A.jpeg
0285A306-3DCE-42F5-BFCD-4C9D91D7C29A.jpeg

I got the last of the RN1s with the diecast hoops in the Blue Metal finish. Got a great deal on a 13/16/24 configuration. They aren’t exactly a sparkle/glitter finish but they do sparkle and look pretty cool under different lights. You might want to look for some of these but I’m not seeing many of them around these days.