header.nohb.html

Gretsch returns with traditional round badge

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's funny, but to me the Hex badge IS the Gretsch badge.. maybe it's just because I was never aware of them in the round badge days, but that's what I think of when I think of Gretsch durms. But they're still great drums no matter the shape of the badge.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
This would seem to be something new as well. Brooklyn wood shell but in a satin maple finish and maybe just 8 lugs? Looks interesting in any case....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRETSCH-BROOKLYN-SNARE-DRUM-IN-SATIN-NATURAL-14x6-5-FREE-SHIPPING-USA-/121000640893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2c33417d

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Something like this but with Round Badges. mmmmmmmm

http://www.forksdrumcloset.com/Gretsch-USA-Custom-3-Piece-Bop-Kit-Tony-Williams-Yellow-p12060.html

Cheers
Mick

ScottGunshore

idrum = udig?
Reaction score
I bought a 2008 kit in Jan 2009... then I was bummed to find out that they were switching out the badges to a more "stop sign" style (from my square style). I really liked the new stop sign (more than the previous badge on my USA customs), so I find it strange that after only a few years of stop sign they are going to round.

I wonder how long this badge will last...

smythe5

Reaction score
It's funny, but to me the Hex badge IS the Gretsch badge.. maybe it's just because I was never aware of them in the round badge days, but that's what I think of when I think of Gretsch durms. But they're still great drums no matter the shape of the badge.

That's what I think of when I think of MODERN Gretsch drums. I feel like the Round Badge era Gretsch drums are special. They have something different than todays Gretsch drums. The shells were made by Jasper, not Keller. They are a tad thinner than the modern shells, and they sound warmer. I think it made sense that Gretsch used the more modern badges for modern stuff because that's what your getting. When people buy a modern Gretsch kit with a round badge, the Round Badge means nothing more than window dressing. I know this will prompt people to say that modern Gretsch drums are very similar, if not exactly the same as the old ones. I think they are very close. In terms of modern drums, they are the best of what's out there. But play some of those vintage Round Badges sometime, and you'll know what Im talking about.

GSWEb8

Reaction score
I'm not thrilled about it. RB era drums are iconic for several reasons. Seems like a diluted marketing ploy. The round badge should be retired like a pro sports jersey number. I have three Gretsch kits, and the 53 RB kit is truly unique. Maybe they are trying to bridge a gap with the younger players? When you play a vintage RB kit, it makes a statement. Not any more, I'm afraid.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does the round badge make them sound better? <_<

Seriously - I only ever knew them with the squared badge. when did they use the round badge?

edit - nevermind - I just re-read the post. I skipped over that part originally.
:bunny:

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's the official word http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=news_article&art=1826&showPress=showPress&type=1