Gretsch Round Badge Bass Hoop Cracked

SaranacJack

Reaction score
I just received a near pristine Gretsch Round Badge Aqua Satin Flame kit... but the bass hoop arrived cracked. Too good to be true - nearly no checking or spider webs in all the wrap, a one owner kit that shines like its new

Has anyone had any luck removing a vintage satin flame inlay and successfully replacing it on a different hoop? Any tips before I begin my search for a Gretsch RB era 20” hoop?

On that note - does anyone have a spare 20” hoop for sale?

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
get an unwarped one if looking at used; another thing may have been me; but aftermarket hoops don't sound like originals (of a) RB bass drum. No comparison; may just been how each tuned up; and not the hoops; but originals sound (way) warmer..(better built...One of my originals is warped so I don't use them) hung them up 15 years ago; weren't in best of shape)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
The lesson learned is don't ship bass drums with the claws on! I'd let the seller know and I'd be quite angry about the situation in light of the condition of this kit.

As for the fix, it won't be a hundred percent but is not that difficult. Some glue, a clamp, and some black lacquer should make this look pretty good. Not perfect but good enough for me.

SaranacJack

Reaction score
Thank you to all for your input! I have a line on a period correct one with inlay, but if that doesn’t work we’ll see how wood glue and clamps work out.... or Precision as well.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just received a near pristine Gretsch Round Badge Aqua Satin Flame kit... but the bass hoop arrived cracked. Too good to be true - nearly no checking or spider webs in all the wrap, a one owner kit that shines like its new

Has anyone had any luck removing a vintage satin flame inlay and successfully replacing it on a different hoop? Any tips before I begin my search for a Gretsch RB era 20” hoop?

On that note - does anyone have a spare 20” hoop for sale?
I would take the wrap off, re-glue the hoop and use a bit of wood putty. Sand and repaint.. voilà

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I performed a restoration, back in September, on a 1976 Rogers Big R kit. One of the worst issues I dealt with were the bass drum hoops, with ply separation and cracked wood. I had never dealt with this type of repair before, but the end result was worth it. Check out this link...HERE

You'll have to scroll through quite a few pages to find the hoop repair, which I believe starts on page 6, but it will show you what I went through. Your repair will be much easier!

-Mark

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Check the shell at that lug and make sure there are no cracks in the shell before you do anything else.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics but that hoop is not “glue and clamps” !!
If the break runs with the grain then yes, fixable, but that looks like a clean break and glue won’t work!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics but that hoop is not “glue and clamps” !!
If the break runs with the grain then yes, fixable, but that looks like a clean break and glue won’t work!
I am thinking the same but the pictures are not taken at good enough angles to really tell how it is broken.

If it is snapped across it could be repaired by cutting a slot an inch or two into each end to allow a spline to be inserted. As long as the broken ends line up tightly and the spline it fitted properly it should make it whole again. This would, however take a lot of woodworking skill and paying someone to do it would cost more than buying a new hoop.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Even if it is fully snapped across, you can fix it pretty easily and creatively using a Dremel tool and some small bits. Cut a cavity in either side and use either some toothpicks, or popsicle stick(s) as the spline, as well as some wood glue.
Then glue it and tape it with painter's tape to hold it 24 hours. Harder fix, but still do-able without spending a lot on a "pro" repair.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Even if it is fully snapped across, you can fix it pretty easily and creatively using a Dremel tool and some small bits. Cut a cavity in either side and use either some toothpicks, or popsicle stick(s) as the spline, as well as some wood glue.
Then glue it and tape it with painter's tape to hold it 24 hours. Harder fix, but still do-able without spending a lot on a "pro" repair.
Toothpicks, popsicle sticks??
You better leave that tape on

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I guess I had a different idea of repair. It's worked for me.......not every drum deserves a Precision repair.....no pun intended (I love that place!).....