Gretsch Round Badge Makeover - Before and After

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Today was a good day. Picked up an old roundbadge Gretsch kit about two months ago from a guy in town who had covered them with a terrible white cortex in the 80s to build a Phil Collins type kit. Still can't believe they were originally champaign sparkle that had been removed, but I digress.

Anyways, I picked them up with the intention of restoring them to their former glory...and it took a lot of work...
Learned all kind of new skills. Removed layers and layers of glue, learned how to fill some extra holes, spent a lot of time learning how to stain better and also learning the art of lacquering. Tried out some new hardware cleaning tricks too.

It was a really fun project and I have to say I did a happy dance today when they were finally completed...and they turned out unbelievably amazing. More than pleased with them in looks and sound. I had originally planned to finish them in a lighter walnut, but fifty years of glue was not very kind to the shells, and darker was better in this case.

Anyways, I made a little photo montage of all the progress. Eventually might install the mufflers and some badges but ok with how they are for now.

I also did some sound files at a buddy's studio today. Turned out really good. These really sound great.

Here is the kit with a 60s Acro. Tuned a little higher
www.dropbox.com/s/to9oqvbo4o9cdb4/Josh%20Custom%20with%20Acro.mp3

And here is the kit tuned a little lower with my 6lug Gretsch Stop Sign Aluminum

www.dropbox.com/s/qsghmxsglrp5aky/Josh%20Custom%20with%20Gretsch%20SN.mp3

And for reference here is my friends Gretsch Renown 13,16,24 with Swampdog snare
www.dropbox.com/s/ekctkunlq38i77c/Josh%20Renown%20with%20Gretsch%20Swamp%20Dog.mp3

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
nice work! those turned out very classy. slick!

mike

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I know the satin isn't quite period correct but I prefer it in general and my first gretsch USA kit was satin so it was a bit of a throwback.

mellotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice. How do you like the sound of these compared to the newer Gretsch kit you had?

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
mellotron said:
Very nice. How do you like the sound of these compared to the newer Gretsch kit you had?
I prefer the sound of the roundbadge. To me they have more tone and sound a little fatter. Interestingly enough were I recorded those little drum tracks the guys normal kit was a renown. I know it's a little different than the USA customs I have had, but I was surprised how similar they sounded recorded. The renowns were def louder and resonated much longer tho

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Wow! Those really came out classy! You tackled a big job, but looks like it was definitely worth it. You should be happy, & proud.........marko

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Def pleased with result as far as looks and sound. Playing them tonight at a gig for the first time and one tomorrow as well

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Crash, was a good bit of work but totally worth it! They are killing this morning.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
I always love a vintage kit restored back to playable condition. Nice work. They look and sound sweet! You can be proud of the work, time and effort you put into these beautiful drums.

BTW, I love the sound of your six-lug Gretsch aluminum snare. I also have one and use it all the time. A lot of drummers like it, too, but can't believe it's a six-lugger.

Have fun playing them.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Too Many Drums - NAH! said:
I always love a vintage kit restored back to playable condition. Nice work. They look and sound sweet! You can be proud of the work, time and effort you put into these beautiful drums.

BTW, I love the sound of your six-lug Gretsch aluminum snare. I also have one and use it all the time. A lot of drummers like it, too, but can't believe it's a six-lugger.

Have fun playing them.
Thanks! That snare is a really nice grab. I've always played and loved acros and aluminum in general but was really pleasantly surprised how great this gretsch one sounded when I picked it up awhile ago. I especially like how the diecasts add punch to the overall sound.

I've put it through it's paces and it's done really well so def a keeper in my book.