Gretsch Round Badge Progressive Jazz kit finally completed

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
Retirement (along with home isolation for the past few months) has finally given me the time to finish a few projects. One of those was to complete my first vintage Gretsch kit. I purchased the snare, bass and mounted tom from an older gentleman in the area who was sadly suffering from ALS disease. He was the original owner of the kit which he bought new as a "One Nighter" configuration (no floor tom). He subsequently bought a Camco floor tom with matching wrap and tuxedo lugs. The Camco drum is gorgeous, but it has bugged me for a few years that it didn't match the rest of the kit.

Recently, I was lucky enough to find a 14x14 Champagne Sparkle Gretsch round badge floor tom on e-Bay. It cost me more than I have ever spent on a drum (by a factor of 2) but now this kit is complete. I spent the last few weeks disassembling, re-gluing a few seams, cleaning & polishing and putting the whole thing back together. It really turned out great - one of the cleanest vintage kits I own. I would give these a 9.5 out of 10.

This is the only Gretsch kit I have ever owned and I'm eager get these moved into my music studio so I can hear "That Great Gretsch Sound".
IMG_0790.JPG

View attachment 448714
Completed - 1.jpg
Completed - 3.jpg
Completed - 2.jpg

Skeet6

Reaction score
Looks lovely! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy for many years to come.
Mike B

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Holy sheeet perfect-o

one tough drum set. That stands the test of time.
grab a matching era 16x16 and convert 2 bass drum)

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sale of the now-unneeded OAKLAWN Tuxedo 14 (in Champaign!) should ease the pain of that RB 14 purchase...

The drums look great. That's basically my main kit since '81 ('69 Progressive Jazz). You'll love 'em. What about that "pile of dusty old cymbals," hmm?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
... but I have the matching snare. Bought a COB, same era, much later.

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own a lot of Ludwig metal snares (Acro's , Supra's, Black Beauty, Copperphonic, etc) and the COB Gretsch snare really surprised me at how good it sounds (make that "great"). It's a heavy bugger, but very articulate - responds cleanly at any volume and, unless muffled, rings for days.

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sale of the now-unneeded OAKLAWN Tuxedo 14 (in Champaign!) should ease the pain of that RB 14 purchase...

The drums look great. That's basically my main kit since '81 ('69 Progressive Jazz). You'll love 'em. What about that "pile of dusty old cymbals," hmm?
That's my new dilemma - should I try to sell the Camco drum or set out on a Holy Grail mission to try and build a kit around that drum?

One of the guys who works at my local drum store has asked if he could buy it but he's a friend of mine and I'd hate to charge him what I think the current "market price" might be on that drum.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Great job on these! I posted another thread about mine but I have everything but the bass drum to complete my champagne sparkle RB set. I'm holding out for a good one but your pics are definitely making me anxious to find it.

Gretsch1.jpg

Gretsch2.jpg

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
That's my new dilemma - should I try to sell the Camco drum or set out on a Holy Grail mission to try and build a kit around that drum?

One of the guys who works at my local drum store has asked if he could buy it but he's a friend of mine and I'd hate to charge him what I think the current "market price" might be on that drum.
Not telling you what to do but you may consider selling that Camco drum to the drum store fellow at a reduced market price to offset some of the cost of 14" Gretsch floor tom; down the road, a trade in may come into his store that he knows you would like OR ........at the very least (and to me this is more important) , you are helping out another drummer in the music community
I know I would appreciate this if I was on the receiving end of this type of situation. One good turn deserves another, so to speak.

Just my 2 cents US (or $1.50 Canadian dollars) suggestion (us Canadians are always currency converting from the US dollar!) :D;-)

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

As a fellow drummer my advice may be skewed, but I say build a Camco set around yer floor tom. ✌❤

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sell the Camco floor to the music store guy and be done with it.
The RB's are 60's correct?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful.

How do they sound?

Last edited:

jb111

Reaction score
Wow, really beautiful! Congrats on the kit. That's a forever kit right there. If it were me, I'd sell the Camco FT and fully enjoy what you have—which is its own holy grail configuration as clean as it is.

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sell the Camco floor to the music store guy and be done with it.
The RB's are 60's correct?
Yes - based on the research I have done, these are early 60's drums. According to Rob Cook's "The Gretsch Drum Book", round badges were used from the 1930's through 1969.

Latest posts