Gretsch round badge wrap lifting

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m fortunate to have a couple of nice vintage sets. I try to use all of the drums but my Gretsch round badge BDP set rarely gets used it has an 8x12 (which I do use regularly), 9x13, 16x16, 14x22, and a 5x14 matching wood shell snare. The drum set was most likely a three piece originally but the drum shop where it was bought installed an early ludwig double tom mount and I assume the 8x12 was added. I pulled them out for a gig this week that involves three long rehearsals and a very long day that will end with the show. They sound wonderful. The problem is that the wrap is lifting on all but the 12 and snare and even cracked on the floor tom. What is the best solution for this issue? Can the original wrap be reoaired and reglued? Should the drums be recovered? I’m looking for advice to keep a classic set, “classic”. Although it will never be a mint set, everything is there, functional, and it sounds great. Modern heads actually fit this set and the snare strainer is in good shape, no busted T-rods on the bass either. Thanks for your constructive thoughts!
JB

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you post some pics maybe a better idea for DF folks to give suggestions. In general, yes they can be repaired.

Depending on the severity and what you feel comfortable with repairing on your own, my vote would be to send to Precision Drum for repair.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
not lifting (it is but) it's shrinking..
If lifting is seen as North-South (up and down)
Shrinking is it's moving East-West; it's sliding off the shell

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My BDP RB 14x14 is pretty bad. More like a 5"x5" section of wrap is missing......the seam is ok. My BDP SSB 18" and 12" tom have perfect wrap. My RB 5x14 BDP has wrap also lifting but should be easy to fix with glue. I use Tite Bond (red label) wood glue from Home Depot, and a clamp. But that's not the "proper" glue.......

Pics would be good, and Precision, I am sure, can fix it. I have 2 WMP Gretsch snares with the "lifting" because the wrap is shrinking which is probably the same thing happening with the snare I have - wonder if it is due to the high tension of the lugs? Weird.......also, the wrap is pretty thin on the BDP/WMP so that can't help......

Latest posts