Gretsch Serial Number Dating Guide

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KCdrumdad am I correct in thinking these serials would be about circa ~ ‘74? They’re from a ssb1 set I just picked up in blue lacquer 12/13/16/22.
Based upon my approach, 1974 +/- would be my estimate as well. One thing that should be considered is that Gretsch had two different fires in its Booneville facilities in 1973 which impacted production in addition to apparently destroying their historical production records. I have not found a resource which speaks to the impact on production throughput on the drum side of the operations. There is some discussion of delays on the guitar side of the business, but that may or may not have impacted the drum side of the business, as there were multiple separate buildings used in Booneville. Therefore, estimates for this particular time period (1973-74) might be a little more loose than in other time periods.

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Based upon my approach, 1974 +/- would be my estimate as well. One thing that should be considered is that Gretsch had two different fires in its Booneville facilities in 1973 which impacted production in addition to apparently destroying their historical production records. I have not found a resource which speaks to the impact on production throughput on the drum side of the operations. There is some discussion of delays on the guitar side of the business, but that may or may not have impacted the drum side of the business, as there were multiple separate buildings used in Booneville. Therefore, estimates for this particular time period (1973-74) might be a little more loose than in other time periods.
Very interesting thanks! I’ll post a picture of the set soon. The finish looks original to my eyes, but I can’t find another example of a similar lacquer finish from the ssb1 period anywhere

Latest posts