Gretsch Silver “ Sealer “and test run matching : Trials & Theory’s :

DBT

Reaction score
For the Gretsch people out there here is my 2 cents . First off Gretsch’s Silver Sealer isn’t a sealer , it’s a protector . It does not penetrate into the Maple Ply , it sits on top of it . I sanded down the plugs inside and it was proven . Anyone with older shells not in perfect shape will see the silver sealer thinned out and the maple grains starting to show through . My theory is they used it to keep shell condensation and shell ply’s from warping and separation . I think Gretsch has a NDA with Rust-oleum who have been around for a hundred years and we’re the big dogs on the block back in the 50’s and still are . I don’t think there is any acoustic value in that Great Gretsch Sound as far as Silver Sealer goes nor do I think there is anything special about their guarded secret . That being said I bought 4 cans of spray to test : (1) Rust-Oleum Aluminum Metallic 2 in 1 (paint & primer ) , (1) identical to that except it’s oil ( no primer ) and for experimental sake 2 cans of Krylon (1) silver (1) Aluminum . Forget the Krylon not even close . The Rust-oleum is a exact match with one exception between the two : the oil which is spot on has no primer in it but takes awhile to dry and needs to be controlled from running more . The 2 in 1 is a exact match but because it has primer built in comes out a hair darker ….. seriously not really noticeable . 2 in 1 is the clear winner in my book folks . If not for the original paper labels I’d fully spray all the interiors . Also this could be why newer Gretsch shells seem to be a bit darker . With EPA regulations really strict , it’s forcing paint company’s to reinvent their paints . I’ll post some pics when it drys . Hope it helps those that haven’t done it that are contemplating it .

Attachments

• 8F4DBF6C-FBD9-4034-BC8E-A6FA838C3310.jpeg
    8F4DBF6C-FBD9-4034-BC8E-A6FA838C3310.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 25

DBT

Reaction score
For the Gretsch people out there here is my 2 cents . First off Gretsch’s Silver Sealer isn’t a sealer , it’s a protector . It does not penetrate into the Maple Ply , it sits on top of it . I sanded down the plugs inside and it was proven . Anyone with older shells not in perfect shape will see the silver sealer thinned out and the maple grains starting to show through . My theory is they used it to keep shell condensation and shell ply’s from warping and separation . I think Gretsch has a NDA with Rust-oleum who have been around for a hundred years and we’re the big dogs on the block back in the 50’s and still are . I don’t think there is any acoustic value in that Great Gretsch Sound as far as Silver Sealer goes nor do I think there is anything special about their guarded secret . That being said I bought 4 cans of spray to test : (1) Rust-Oleum Aluminum Metallic 2 in 1 (paint & primer ) , (1) identical to that except it’s oil ( no primer ) and for experimental sake 2 cans of Krylon (1) silver (1) Aluminum . Forget the Krylon not even close . The Rust-oleum is a exact match with one exception between the two : the oil which is spot on has no primer in it but takes awhile to dry and needs to be controlled from running more . The 2 in 1 is a exact match but because it has primer built in comes out a hair darker ….. seriously not really noticeable . 2 in 1 is the clear winner in my book folks . If not for the original paper labels I’d fully spray all the interiors . Also this could be why newer Gretsch shells seem to be a bit darker . With EPA regulations really strict , it’s forcing paint company’s to reinvent their paints . I’ll post some pics when it drys . Hope it helps those that haven’t done it that are contemplating it .
…. And don’t go by the cap on it , it’s showing a lot darker then it is .

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have used Rustoleum out of the can, not the spray can but the 1 quart can. No primer so it's thin like the original.

The new Gretsch drums, like the Renowns, have a fairly thick silver paint on them as you can not see any of the maple grain through it. Maybe the spray paint would give a closer look to that, but for old Gretsch shells, the silver paint out of the 1 quart can is the way to go.

DBT

Reaction score
Here's some information about drum shell interior paint in general, and also Gretsch, posted over at VDF... Click Here

-Mark
Interesting . Rust-Oleum Galvanized Fence Paint #7787 Metallic Silver . It’s like you can only get it in the can . Bummer . Apparently it’s not a closely guarded secret .

DBT

Reaction score
I have used Rustoleum out of the can, not the spray can but the 1 quart can. No primer so it's thin like the original.

The new Gretsch drums, like the Renowns, have a fairly thick silver paint on them as you can not see any of the maple grain through it. Maybe the spray paint would give a closer look to that, but for old Gretsch shells, the silver paint out of the 1 quart can is the way to go.
It seems to me the only way to use it out of a can would be to run it through a spray gun and add a little paint thinner in to keep the nozzle from clogging up . That would be ideal . For touch up I’m not going through that , to much over spray . If your going all the way absolutely .

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For old drums or new?
It seems to me the only way to use it out of a can would be to run it through a spray gun and add a little paint thinner in to keep the nozzle from clogging up . That would be ideal . For touch up I’m not going through that , to much over spray . If your going all the way absolutely .

For old drums or new? With the old ones I just dipped a folded paper towel in to the can and wiped it on. Super Easy. For the new stuff, just buy the spray paint.

DBT

Reaction score
For old drums or new?

For old drums or new? With the old ones I just dipped a folded paper towel in to the can and wiped it on. Super Easy. For the new stuff, just buy the spray paint.
Old . Really , paper towel huh ? I wonder if a sponge brush would be affective also .

DBT

Reaction score
Old . Really , paper towel huh ? I wonder if a sponge brush would be affective also .
Now you have me trying those two methods . Not sure why , I can assure everyone I’m not ever doing this again .

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Yep, paper towel. The paint is so thin and the old drums soak it up right away. No need to worry about "brush strokes".

DBT

Reaction score
Spelling help:

*theories

*companies

*plies
The next time you buy “plywood” pay attention to how it is spelled . History and Math lesson : High school drop out at 15 . Made every dime I ever earned with my own two hands . Just retired at 55 . My son was published 6 times in medical journals 6 times by the time he was 20 so although spelling at times isn’t my forte I must have done something right .

little rock

Reaction score
A long time ago, someone told me, don't recall who it was, but it was someone whom I respected as some sort of drum guru told me the paint was some kind of car radiator paint and was sprayed at 35lbs. of pressure. IDK

DBT

Reaction score
A long time ago, someone told me, don't recall who it was, but it was someone whom I respected as some sort of drum guru told me the paint was some kind of car radiator paint and was sprayed at 35lbs. of pressure. IDK
We have to Hog Tie a Gretsch Executive and find out . I want to know the truth .

little rock

Reaction score
I have a couple of plugs in an 18" floor tom and I'm going to just touch them up with the Rust-Oleum paint.

DBT

Reaction score
I have a couple of plugs in an 18" floor tom and I'm going to just touch them up with the Rust-Oleum paint.
I am very happy with my plugs and how they came out with the Rust-Oleum . Tommy D peeked my curiosity . The #7787 metallic fence paint seems to be very hard to get in the quart size . Gallon no problem . I don’t need $35 worth of fence paint though .

DBT

Reaction score
I am very happy with my plugs and how they came out with the Rust-Oleum . Tommy D peeked my curiosity . The #7787 metallic fence paint seems to be very hard to get in the quart size . Gallon no problem . I don’t need $35 worth of fence paint though .
I just want to compare . At $12 a quart to play around it’s worth it in case one of my friends come to me and want it done.