Gretsch Silver Oyster Wrap and Grey Oyster Wrap

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for the group- I have a 2013 Gretsch Brooklyn in Grey Oyster Wrap 22, 10,12,14,16 and want to add a 18" Kick Drum- but cannot find one out there used, however I can pick up a used Renown Bass Drum at a good price in Silver Oyster Pearl.....they look like a possible match but can't find one locally that I can place next to each other.....On the left Silver Oyster and on the right Grey Oyster-Can anyone that has seen these two help out?...Thanks

Silver Oyster

Grey Oyster

grey oyster.jpg
silver oyster.jpg

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
I think the two wraps are close enough to be passable on stage. The audience probably won't notice (or care). But the question is, will YOU care?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
My guess would be that the Brooklyn drum has wrap that came from Delmar and the Renown would not. Then again there was a limited edition set of Renowns years back that used Delmar red sparkle so who knows?

I'd agree with IBitePrettyHard that they definitely look similar. Probably close enough for anyone except possibly the owner.

Could you still order a new Brooklyn in that finish? Even if you could and did a sheet of the "same" wrap out of a different batch wouldn't necessarily be a perfect match.

It's a quandary we all face when trying to add on drums to existing sets, Lots of variations through the years on wraps, even on the sparkle colors, and also wraps that disappear and are no longer available.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Renown in SOP and it looks similar to the Brooklyn, but I'd be disappointed if going for a match. They don't match. The Renown is a little more mercury-liquid looking and has no hints of brown like I see in the Brooklyn pic, which has straighter lines in the wrap.

They are close enough that it wouldn't be noticeable on stage, but it would bother me too much.