Gretsch snare help

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I took a chance on this on eBay and won. I'm working on restoring a 50's Gretsch WMP kit. I know little about Gretsch drums and have no idea how to date this. It seems like ithe wrap matches but won't know until I get it. I know it's only 6 lugs, and there seems to be an issue at the seam (possibly re-wrap). For $122 including case I thought can't beat that. Can any gretsch experts give me some info on this snare?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gretsch-White-Pearl-Snare-Drum-14-diam-6-5-in-from-top-to-very-bottom-/181261987420?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=HhiVeE%252B9lrOR2Ga13mO24pRlwcw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a Dixieland model snare. It would be from sometime before the mid-60's because the later ones had die-cast hoops. To my eye it looks all original but the wrap has shrunk over the years and pulled apart at the seam. The Renown throw offs on this can be a bit cantankerous to use but overall they can usually be made to work okay. I have a couple of these and they can be a good sounding snare. I've tracked down the 6 hole die casts for mine as that gives it better tuning possibilities over the double flanges with clips. I'd say you got that at a good price as people often try to sell the badges alone for nearly that much (although I'm not sure if anyone ever actually buys badges offered at those prices).

Here it is in the 1963 catalog

Attachments

• 63-11.JPG
    63-11.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 12